deskthority - Suggestions and Changelog

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Oct 2014, 17:27

Actually it's a WHM/CPanel default when one has not set up HTTPS.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Oct 2014, 17:31

I'll look into the font setting. Doesn't persist for me either, used to. I probably broke it in some update.

Muirium
µ

19 Oct 2014, 18:00

Yup, definitely used to stick. I miss it! Thanks.

ماء

22 Oct 2014, 08:08

DT down today? :x

Compgeke

22 Oct 2014, 08:45

Noticed that too. I was almost to the verge of insanity without it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Oct 2014, 09:09

I once again get kicked out once or twice a day (and have to relogin). It happened few months ago, then it stopped for a while, and now it's back. Am I alone?

ماء

22 Oct 2014, 09:40

yup, I ever like matt3o idk it Multifox effects or error DT then i update my firefox

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Oct 2014, 11:50

I lowered a phpBB cookie security setting, let me know if this does anything to solve this problem.

DT was not reachable for 1.5 hours, probably a network error because the server seems fine.

rindorbrot

22 Oct 2014, 16:51

matt3o wrote: I once again get kicked out once or twice a day (and have to relogin). It happened few months ago, then it stopped for a while, and now it's back. Am I alone?
No, you are not! Same for me...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Oct 2014, 16:54

seems to be fixed. I'll let you know tomorrow

rindorbrot

28 Oct 2014, 23:16

I still get logged out every day... :(

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Oct 2014, 23:36

You may try this, if you haven't already:
Close any tabs with deskthority.
Restart browser.
Clear cache.
Remove al cookies from the deskthority.net domain.
Restart again just because.
Open deskthority tab and login.

ماء

15 Nov 2014, 11:35

How about non nude/tranparent post 8-)
this i dont like DT when the member posting all people can see without open the thread :lol:
may can be switch on/off :lol: non transparent

nisilhum

15 Nov 2014, 11:47

yeah DT use transparent post more like social media unlike most forum only show title
i never see transparent post in other forum

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Nov 2014, 13:10

What's a transparent post?

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2014, 13:15

I guess they mean the forum spy. (Quick fix: don't use the forum spy, guys!)

Anyway, I like being able to peek inside a thread without visiting it for every single update. We go offtopic so much here that thread titles aren't nearly as informative as the live action.

ماء

15 Nov 2014, 13:21

btw muri how u added custom text "u"? 8-)
i've searching it user control panel idk where added it like 002,matt3o.etc
Last edited by ماء on 15 Nov 2014, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

15 Nov 2014, 13:23

Well spotted! Club member's perk. Wanna join?

http://deskthority.net/club-member-talk ... ml#p132280

ماء

15 Nov 2014, 13:25

i just know :?
therefore in user browsing online my name "No registered users" :oops:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Nov 2014, 15:48

I still get kicked out, but not a huge problem.

ماء

15 Nov 2014, 16:16

may problem ur browers or server or yeah.. 8-)

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2015, 14:50

Is there a reason for ignoring double quote delimited search terms in the site search? For instance:

http://deskthority.net/search.php?keywo ... mit=Search

Returns every post with "we" and "all" in it, regardless of phrasing. When what I really wanted was only those that say "we all" just like that. I bump into this limitation fairly frequently.

Halvar

20 Jan 2015, 15:21

The phpBB search function doesn't support that. It's pretty basic - it indexes all words in the forum (except very common ones like "and", "the" "of" etc.), so the search function knows which words are in which posts, but has no concept of where they appear in a post.

The solution of course is to search for

"we all" site:deskthority.net

in Google ... :?

Hypersphere

20 Jan 2015, 18:05

I like to use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) and parentheses (including nested parentheses) in searches, but it seems that few search engines are set up this way. Fortunately, the one I use most often (PubMed) does allow these operators and parentheses.

7bit

20 Jan 2015, 18:47

The site search of Google is the only thing I use to search for things at DT. The internal search seems broken.
:(

Muirium
µ

20 Jan 2015, 23:06

I use Google for site searching so frequently it's bound to a keyboard shortcut. But in this case (like so often at forums) Google's results are junk:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22we ... hority.net

Works a treat on sites with more static content. But Google's attempts to be smart about ordering hits are counterproductive when I'm hunting down something on a forum. What matters more than "popularity" or date is who wrote it and which bloody thread it's in. I really do use our own search much more often for this. Because I can specifically search thread titles, instead of content.

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2015, 10:41

Can we make wiki.deskthority.net redirect to http://deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page by any chance? Wikipedia owns my browser's autocomplete too hard to make ours easy to reach. Yet a few other wikis from my bookmarks do show up because of putting wiki.something first. To get to ours, though, I have to type the whole domain slash w sequence.

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Feb 2015, 14:11

I've got a quick search in Firefox, dw → http://deskthority.net/wiki/%s — just typing "dw" opens the wiki main page. I never thought of doing that, as Firefox's history remembers all the pages I want to return to anyway and I very rarely have any need to go to the front page.

Muirium
µ

01 Feb 2015, 14:22

I used to have a bunch of things like that in OmniWeb, back when it was still actively supported. But these days I'm on Safari on Yosemite and iOS, and have the same habits across platforms. My guess is this is a trivial bit of configuration on the server that will work for everything, everyone and everywhere. Well, those of us who still type the beginning of URLs…

Incidentally, I do DT searches so often that typing "sea" brings up http://deskthority.net/search.php as I wish. But despite bookmarking DT wiki, typing "wiki" brings up a plethora of Wikipedia pages I've been to lately. Sometimes order still matters.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Feb 2015, 14:24

Consider it done.

Return to “Deskthority talk”