Post your deskthority header images here

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Feb 2014, 00:36

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Getting an image from AJAX would only take a few lines of JavaScript and a few lines of PHP/Perl.
It's a bit more complicated. We don't want to DDoS ourselves. Images rotate at the top of each hour without page refresh. If you have the forum spy open for 10 hours, and 4 other tabs with dt, they will show the same image. Everyone will see the same image. I don't want to sent an ajax request and receive the new image as data, because it won't be properly cached. Also it will request the next image at the top of the hour for each visitor, not at random times. Well, not exactly, the requests for the next image are spread out a few minutes before the top of the hour when it rotates. If I add a separate data request to find out what the next image will be, I double the number of requests in the minutes before the top of the hour, one for data, one for the image itself. If I increase those "few minutes", many useless requests will be sent, because people will go to a new page in the meantime. It currently uses a very simple implementation to prevent all that, by sending the entire sequence to the browser at page load. This is just a bunch of numbers of corresponding images (5 7 14 12 9 etc) and to make an image appear more often, it is simply added multiple times to the list. It is not random. Because the list is not equal to a day (and with the right number of images so it shifts nicely), it has the illusion of randomness.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Feb 2014, 00:37

matt3o wrote:no rotation. one per day.
no header images. come back, one year. ;)

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Feb 2014, 01:18

webwit wrote:This is just a bunch of numbers of corresponding images (5 7 14 12 9) and to make an image appear more often, it is simply added multiple times to the list. It is not random.
So, if I understand this correctly, the number of images is reduced just to keep the list of numbers down in size?

This will be dashboard_schedule then? It's not exactly a long list …

You could expand that list significantly into the space wasted by things like repetitions of 'style="background-image: url(http://deskthority.net/styles/deskthori ... m_read.gif);"' (that's both inline CSS that should be in a stylesheet, and pointless use of an absolute URL), commented-out code etc. Also, the "Resize too large images" script is inline instead of its own script where it could be cached (though maybe it's proven faster to inline small amounts of JS over running a conditional GET each time?)

Kind of makes one wonder just how terrible a few more digits really is, honestly.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Feb 2014, 01:29

Also because old images get boring. There are now 36 in rotation so I added "etc" to my example (36 is a bad number btw, because if you're online at certain fixed times you won't see them all). So if you find it repetitive, you're online too much ;)

But seriously, we have a larger history of background images now, and in general there's a lot which can be improved about the software. Pay me. :mrgreen:

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Feb 2014, 20:50

While figuring out the code I was verifying that the numbers really did point to valid images. I noticed one image that I didn't recall seeing for ages, and having looked at your headers.php there's a load that never show up for me.

It looks like you've designed it such that I'll only see the images that are in use during the specific times of day I look at the forum, so those narrow bands of the day result in the same images being shown.

I'm not sure (I've not tried to figure it out), but I know that I see my Matias one a lot, and I've not seen the space invaders one for weeks, same goes for that red PCB one (not sure when I last saw that — six months ago?). The rotation seems to only offer me a small subset, so it's far more repetitive than the amount of images imply that it should be.

It might be my imagination though.

QWERTim

13 Feb 2014, 12:18

Not sure if this has been submitted before, but here is one of the photos we took of the key caps we did for you guys:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sw80ivc6qhjri ... er%203.jpg

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2014, 12:28

Nice, but doesn't look the right size…
Crop to 980 x 190 and try again. Also boost the levels, it's a bit muddy.

Let's see…
Qwerkeys-DT1.jpg
Qwerkeys-DT1.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 6337 times
Qwerkeys-DT2.jpg
Qwerkeys-DT2.jpg (58.73 KiB) Viewed 6337 times
The top cap is in the best focus, but it's too tightly cropped.

QWERTim

14 Feb 2014, 13:03

I'll see if I can find the original!

EDIT:

How's this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp11xti8dmmcanh/IMG_4373.JPG

Can you work with that?

Muirium
µ

14 Feb 2014, 13:23

That's more like it. Here's some levels…
Qwerkeys-DT3.jpg
Qwerkeys-DT3.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
Qwerkeys-DT4.jpg
Qwerkeys-DT4.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 6303 times
Qwerkeys-DT5.jpg
Qwerkeys-DT5.jpg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 6303 times

QWERTim

16 Feb 2014, 10:47

Thanks mate, think I like the middle one the most, not as much noise as the last, but can get the corner of the key cap in.

damorgue

17 Feb 2014, 22:51

Where is this from:

It looks like it could be a Cherry board ending with 'SAN'. I just want to confirm its existence

JBert

17 Feb 2014, 23:31

It looks like Broadmonkey posted that one. You could try sending him a PM I guess, though it'd be nicer if it were posted here as well.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

17 Feb 2014, 23:54

Yeah, I posted it,. It's from my Amiga 2000/G80-0924
They are double shot key caps, mine is yellowed a bit but not by that much.
Very bad lighting!
Very bad lighting!
Amiga 2000_G80-0924.jpg (905.52 KiB) Viewed 6245 times

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Feb 2014, 00:01

That lighting could be a lot worse!

damorgue

18 Feb 2014, 00:06

Ok, I thought they looked dyesubbed and got my hopes up. I have never even seen a picture of a Norwegian or any Nordic Cherry made dyesubbed cap.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

18 Feb 2014, 00:11

It's hard to get good lighting in Scandinavia in November. I had to take it on my parents roof to find the best lighting on a more or less neutral background.
I color corrected them some time ago but that was on my old monitor, now that I have a new one I don't know if I did more good than bad!

The small amount of yellowing on the key caps should give them away as ABS double shot ;)
I have yet to see a nordic dye sub keyset, which is a bit annoying since BSP Europe is a Danish company :evil:

kint

18 Feb 2014, 00:11

I can spot the red "A" so the lighting can't be that bad... :D Really nice keyboard... :)

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

18 Feb 2014, 00:23

Red A?
Amiga.jpg
Amiga.jpg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
Last edited by Broadmonkey on 18 Feb 2014, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

kint

18 Feb 2014, 00:28

Broadmonkey wrote:Red A?
yes. Makes me:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 6231 times

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Feb 2014, 02:08

Amiga.jpg
Almost thumbs up, but back in my day, it were black A and hollow A. Apparently — I did have to look that up, as I didn't remember it being red. I've not used an Amiga 500 in years. Wonderful machine, though.

tinnie

07 Mar 2014, 13:03

kint wrote:
yes. Makes me:
The attachment Clipboard01.jpg is no longer available
kint.JPG
kint.JPG (9.29 KiB) Viewed 6184 times

phosphorglow

13 Mar 2014, 00:16

DinoRAWWWR!
Attachments
2014-02-14 21.23.48-Edit-2.jpg
2014-02-14 21.23.48-Edit-2.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 6155 times

Muirium
µ

13 Mar 2014, 00:18

Yes!

scottc

13 Mar 2014, 00:52

Perfect, I love it! :D

Off-topic: Phosphorglow, do you have a wallpaper-sized version of that picture?

phosphorglow

13 Mar 2014, 01:05

scottc wrote:Perfect, I love it! :D

Off-topic: Phosphorglow, do you have a wallpaper-sized version of that picture?
Hehehe! Thanks! :P

Here ya go: http://phosphorglow.net/wp-content/uplo ... .23.48.jpg

scottc

13 Mar 2014, 01:06

Cheers! :D

CeeSA

17 Mar 2014, 18:06

@ Dino
Extremely embarrassing.

Just another one for my block list.

Have fun guys.

Muirium
µ

16 Apr 2014, 21:52

Yes, it's mechanical.
Cursive 1.jpg
Cursive 1.jpg (69.59 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
Cursive 2.jpg
Cursive 2.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
Cursive 3.jpg
Cursive 3.jpg (79.06 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
I cheated twice. It's not mine, I'm just proxying it. And see if you can spot the second.
Spoiler:
It's a typewriter. Left is right…
Cursive 3 unflipped.jpg
Cursive 3 unflipped.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 5937 times
But this one doesn't work well with the banner. I'll need to recompose.
Now I've seen them in action: the third crop, with the curve on top, works the best.

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Apr 2014, 22:06

Those look really, really nice. I think the third's my favourite aswell.

Muirium
µ

16 Apr 2014, 22:09

photekq wrote:Those look really, really nice. I think the third's my favourite aswell.
Thanks. It's a pretty piece of hardware. Must resist temptation to start collecting typewriters!

Return to “Deskthority talk”