Post your deskthority header images here

mr_a500

22 Sep 2014, 19:28

I added some shading (in a very half-assed way) so that the "Y" isn't so washed out.
Keytronic2.jpg
Has anybody noticed that GIMP has suddenly become much more annoying to use? They changed things so that basic, obvious things are now a horrible pain in the ass to do.

Muirium
µ

22 Sep 2014, 19:30

Cheat! If it doesn't work. Use another crop. And if that doesn't work, shoot another picture.

The only tweaks on mine are brightness and contrast. (Well, besides those failed attempts to get the Univac chick to behave!)

mr_a500

22 Sep 2014, 19:56

I tried other crops. I like that 2 and flat-topped 3. And I can't shoot another picture like that - not enough sun to get that "through the blinds" striping.

There are other cheat headers making the rounds. I still think we need some kind of faint blended outline on the text to avoid these kind of problems.

Compgeke

22 Sep 2014, 20:59

Dolch caps aren't bad. Like the originals better than the replica set though.

I did cheat here with a slightly black to transparent gradient on the left as white lettering + white logo doesn't work the best.
Attachments
Yum, ABS. A good part of your breakfast.
Yum, ABS. A good part of your breakfast.
DTT2.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 5039 times

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Sep 2014, 22:42

@mr_500 Keytronic header disqualified for lack of retrobright! :x

mr_a500

22 Sep 2014, 22:51

It's not yellowed! That's the original colour of that keyboard. It's "creamy coffee" colour scheme.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Sep 2014, 16:27

I have relinquished power over the deskthority headers, your new dictator goes by the name of Muirium. All pleading to get your headers officially used, can now be directed to him. All bribes may still be directed to me.

Muirium
µ

24 Sep 2014, 16:38

Excellent.

My reign of banner terror will bring great purging of cheats! (Well, there's one picture I can't stand…) So I invite new submissions aplenty to get some fresh blood into the header. It'll be awkward if it's all my own. Awkward but bearable, I suppose…

mr_a500

24 Sep 2014, 16:45

Oh sure... give the power to Muirium... that's like giving candy to a donkey.. I mean.. a drugstore to a dinosaur... no wait... it's like... giving.. something to a.. something or other. Whatever. My point is that he can't handle that power.

He already has 5 headers! Now that he has the power, eventually they'll all be Muirium headers. You'll see. The takeover will be reminiscent of The Borg.

Muirium
µ

24 Sep 2014, 17:22

Shuddup and post MOAR SUBMISSIONS already.

photekq
Cherry Picker

24 Sep 2014, 17:54

Test!

Plate from an OTD 360c.
Attachments
banner-360.jpg
banner-360.jpg (91.06 KiB) Viewed 4926 times

Muirium
µ

24 Sep 2014, 17:58

Not bad.

Webwit advised me to keep the roster an odd number to prevent the same pictures from rolling around at similar times of day (which means some people never see them). I'll add a few together.

Compgeke

24 Sep 2014, 18:53

Is there still a list of which images are set for use as headers?

Muirium
µ

24 Sep 2014, 19:46

Yeah, here:

http://deskthority.net/headers.php

Webwit escalated my priveleges so it looks like this when I'm logged in:
The Seat of Ultimate Power.png
The Seat of Ultimate Power.png (991.28 KiB) Viewed 4893 times

siiC

26 Sep 2014, 13:42

Muirium
µ

26 Sep 2014, 14:16

Jpegs please!
    webwit wrote: Rules:

Dimensions: 980 x 190
    Image type: jpg

Size: header images are loaded for each visitor, so please keep the image size as small as possible by using an acceptable jpeq quality vs image size setting (average size is 50KB, unless there's really lots of details try not to exceed 100KB). Don't forget this, we haven't been able to use numerous images posted here because of unnecessary large file sizes, which is a shame.
    Credits: no watermarks, it must be a clean picture. You'll be credited here and in the wiki and copyrights will still be yours.
    Anyway, I fixed it for you just this one time, because there was one other picture I was dying to add to the list!

siiC

26 Sep 2014, 14:26

Muirium wrote: Jpegs please!
      webwit wrote: Rules:

Dimensions: 980 x 190
      Image type: jpg

Size: header images are loaded for each visitor, so please keep the image size as small as possible by using an acceptable jpeq quality vs image size setting (average size is 50KB, unless there's really lots of details try not to exceed 100KB). Don't forget this, we haven't been able to use numerous images posted here because of unnecessary large file sizes, which is a shame.
      Credits: no watermarks, it must be a clean picture. You'll be credited here and in the wiki and copyrights will still be yours.
      Anyway, I fixed it for you just this one time, because there was one other picture I was dying to add to the list!

Gosh, forgive my foolness. Didn't notice.
      Did you like the image though? :)

siiC

26 Sep 2014, 14:56

I'm utterly bored this afternoon so.. I hope they're alright. :D

Muirium
      µ

26 Sep 2014, 16:04

First one was the best. (It's in the roster now.) The next two look like the keyboard could use a good clean!

siiC

26 Sep 2014, 16:29

Muirium wrote: First one was the best. (It's in the roster now.) The next two look like the keyboard could use a good clean!
      Yeah, it's really hard getting good quality images since the PBT-caps have a weird texture that almost looks like dust. Sorry. :(

7bit

26 Sep 2014, 16:41

Those 2 look bad. Try to brush them first and maybe a bit less light.

siiC

26 Sep 2014, 19:20

Gave it another shot.. 8-)

chzel

26 Sep 2014, 19:25

The second one works nice, the 3rd is too washed out...that MX Blue looks almost Grey!
      BTW if you used a bit more diffused light, it would soften the texture of the caps.

siiC

26 Sep 2014, 19:30

chzel wrote: The second one works nice, the 3rd is too washed out...that MX Blue looks almost Grey!
      BTW if you used a bit more diffused light, it would soften the texture of the caps.
      I'll see if I can fix the third, how about the first one? Also, to be honest I really like the lightning as it is. :)

Muirium
      µ

27 Sep 2014, 16:21

Which do you guys prefer?
      Ducks in a Row.jpg
      Ducks in a Row.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
      Duckthority.jpg
      Duckthority.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
      Looks like it was better on the second take. Honey Sphericals Extras photo courtesy of Pyrelink, by the way. I'd better ask his permission in fact!

photekq
      Cherry Picker

27 Sep 2014, 16:23

Bottom one!

Muirium
      µ

27 Sep 2014, 16:54

Since I've got Photoshop open, here's some more crops from people's forum pictures that have lately caught my eye:

Snoopy's BlacKish.
      BlacKish.jpg
      BlacKish.jpg (57.45 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
      Halvar's beamspring profile.
      Down the Beam.jpg
      Down the Beam.jpg (40.64 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
      And his 3278A02.
      Lösch.jpg
      Lösch.jpg (44.12 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
      Nudged upward to show the legends better:
      Lösch.jpg
      Lösch.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
      Plus a little closeup of my 3276's pearly whites.
      Gechipt.jpg
      Gechipt.jpg (39.98 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
      Nudged:
      Gechipt.jpg
      Gechipt.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
      Hmm… it's a nice original picture, but too close to have much leeway to work with when cropping. Bad Mu, bad!

I might need to tweak these around a bit yet. And permission from the photographers would be good!

ماء

27 Sep 2014, 17:11

not kibord related but pretty nice :P
      rainflowrs.jpg
      rainflowrs.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 4674 times

Muirium
      µ

27 Sep 2014, 17:13

Print it out. Put some caps on it. Reshoot!

Could also use some more switch pictures. My bias towards caps is already showing.

Halvar

27 Sep 2014, 17:18

Very nice crops! You have my permission of course.

Return to “Deskthority talk”