Reorganising marketplace

Daemon Raccoon

22 Jun 2012, 00:25

I like this, it's better than the clusterfuck that is the GeekHack marketplace.

rodtang

23 Jun 2012, 02:28

webwit wrote: Not a mockup, but a screenshot of my dev clone of deskthority.
Just make sure to remove the rounded tabs before releasing it, other than that it looks great and seems very functional, definitely better than geekhack. :D

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Jun 2012, 02:34

What's wrong with rounded tabs?

rodtang

05 Jul 2012, 23:52

webwit wrote:What's wrong with rounded tabs?
They're ugly and they don't fit the forum. (I might just be strange and hate rounded GUI stuff more than others)

hoggy

06 Jul 2012, 11:30

Looking good, webwit.

IvanIvanovich

08 Jul 2012, 04:51

Good idea. I think maybe only 4 sub categories would be enough. Call it whatever makes most sense.
1. Person to person - covering sales, trades and wanted or essentially the main purpose of marketplace.
2. Auctions on ebay, sales announcements of things at commercial stores, coupon codes, etc. or 'great finds and deals' type post.
3. Group buys. I absolutely agree with the interest check, orders, billing, shipped, etc, sub tags it would be very helpful.
4. Vendors and power seller/traders - like some people that are not an official vendor but have multiple quantity and selling at retail type prices frequently.

Also if it was me I would ban silent auctions that were not fund raiser for DT from the marketplace. It seems to create a lot of drama. Sale thread should have a clear upfront price in my opinion.

dsjbirch

26 Jul 2012, 18:06

webwit wrote:What's wrong with rounded tabs?
Dev mod looks great. :D I would also like to see square tabs, like the page numbers are.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Jul 2012, 23:01

What about this structure? Lysol had some good ideas. Strikethrough text is stuff that ended, for example an ended sale. Help contains current stickies such as price check, and possible future stuff like a buying guide. Any suggestions?

Marketplace
  • Member to member
    • [For sale]
    • [Wanted]
    • [Trade]
    • [For sale]
    • [Wanted]
    • [Trade]
  • Group buys
    • [Interest check]
    • [Ordering]
    • [Billing]
    • [Shipping]
    • [Interest check]
    • [Ordering]
    • [Billing]
    • [Shipping]
  • External
    • [Ebay.com]
    • [Ebay.de]
    • [Ebay.co.uk]
    • [Ebay elsewhere]
    • [Tabao]
    • [Sales & deals]
    • [Other]
  • Vendors
    • [Keyboardco] (example)
    • [Unicomp] (example)
    • [Power sellers]
    • [Other]
  • Help

Charlie_Brown_MX

28 Jul 2012, 23:28

I like idea of using a strikethrough to indicate a ‘closed’ thread — it would make it more obvious that the item/s have sold.

One idea I had was locking older, completed sale threads so they can’t be edited afterwards. That way valuable information like pricing is preserved for future reference and can’t be removed after the fact by unscrupulous sellers.

Icarium

28 Jul 2012, 23:37

Looks good to me.

rindorbrot

29 Jul 2012, 00:18

I like this scheme.
And I also vote for square tabs!

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jul 2012, 00:45

Round vs square tabs:

bpiphany

29 Jul 2012, 00:53

I like the rounded tabs. Reminds me of old registry index cards...

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jul 2012, 00:59

That design has the same rounding as buttons (more subtle than the current tabs in use in the user control panel). I like it more than the square tabs, that design makes everything a little bit too rectangular.

I still have one design problem, but I probably won't implement the associated feature with the first version of the tabbed structure. It currently doesn't show which tabs and subcategories have unread posts now. And blue is already the color of the currently selected tab and subcategory.

Acanthophis

29 Jul 2012, 01:29

What about square tabs and on both ends (all and other tab) are rounded?

dsjbirch

29 Jul 2012, 03:07

bpiphany wrote:I like the rounded tabs. Reminds me of old registry index cards...
Maybe that's the Valium Prins? :lol:

Square tabs looks sharp! :D

They are in conformity with "User Control Panel" "0 new messages" "View your posts" as well as "Spy" "IRC" "FAQ" etc etc.

There is just enough roundness in "Post a Reply" "Go" "Quick Reply" for the site not to look mundane and styleless.

Icarium

29 Jul 2012, 12:38

Function over form! Make it available now make it pretty later. ;)

kint

29 Jul 2012, 12:56

round tabs please. For years I was heavily annoyed by the round candy like appearance Windows XP flushed into the whole computer world, with hard work I managed to overcome this. The round tabs are seperated one from another in a better way than the sharp ones are, therefore please go with them, thanks. :)

rindorbrot

29 Jul 2012, 13:16

What about square tabs and on both ends (all and other tab) are rounded?
I'd like to see that one, too
But Icarium has a point, give us the function now! Designing can wait.

fossala
Elite +1

29 Jul 2012, 13:19

Square tabs! BTW first time I have looked at this thread, mockups look fantastic.

mintberryminuscrunch

29 Jul 2012, 13:25

I'd like to see a very basic set of rules for the marketplace implemented like,
-distinction between groupbuys and resales
-no editing out prices after sales
-less aggressive more constructive price discussion
-anonymous bids have to be revealed to buyer if requested

fossala
Elite +1

29 Jul 2012, 13:35

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:I'd like to see a very basic set of rules for the marketplace implemented like,
Seems good but I don't get why the last one would be needed.

Acanthophis

29 Jul 2012, 13:51

Transparency, I guess.
That's ok with me. I don't even care if anonymous bids are not allowed at all...

fossala
Elite +1

29 Jul 2012, 14:05

DeathAdder wrote:Transparency, I guess.
That's ok with me. I don't even care if anonymous bids are not allowed at all...
Neither do I, never place bids anonymously. But I guess some people like to hide the fact of how much they spend on a keyboard.

Grond

29 Jul 2012, 14:11

I'd like to see some kind of feedback/rating system for cases like this:

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/ki ... t3232.html

and this:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t2815.html

I know the subject has been discussed before, but now we're having actual cases of people being late in respecting their deals or not respecting them at all.

mintberryminuscrunch

29 Jul 2012, 14:16

fossala wrote:
mintberryminuscrunch wrote:I'd like to see a very basic set of rules for the marketplace implemented like,
Seems good but I don't get why the last one would be needed.
with anonymous bids you never know if they are real or shill bids

fossala
Elite +1

29 Jul 2012, 14:20

Very good though! Also with bidding on here and on GH if someone bids 10 quid, the seller sets the new highest "bid" at 10 quid. That should be stopped, that isn't bidding.

mintberryminuscrunch

29 Jul 2012, 14:24

fossala wrote:Very good though! Also with bidding on here and on GH if someone bids 10 quid, the seller sets the new highest "bid" at 10 quid. That should be stopped, that isn't bidding.
I like that actually more than autobidding :lol:
PS: it's also common for all non ebay auctions..

JBert

29 Jul 2012, 16:59

I vote for round tabs.

Also, don't fuss too much about rules. If something is too much on the edge, mods will likely deal with it.

dsjbirch

30 Jul 2012, 01:56

With the whole rules on bidding being set now, it's easier for people who lean on the open and transparent argument to win. Which I think is a good thing. If people start arguing later that bids should be open and transparent, they can easily be dismissed as sour 'clackless commies'. :lol:

If we were going to go the way of instituting rules, now's the best time.

Return to “Deskthority talk”