The wiki thread

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Jul 2011, 17:55

daedalus wrote:Webwit - I don't know about you, but the 'W' in the 'Wiki' on the wiki logo looks very jagged. I think the logo looked nicer without the Wiki underneath it, but that's just my thoughts on it.
I added it because I removed the big fugly logo from the main page, and there should be some label saying it's the "deskthority wiki", not just "deskthority". However, I wanted to do it in the same font, but I'm not sure what font that is (sixty did the logo). So it's a quick fix which should be optimized later.

JBert

24 Jul 2011, 21:42

daedalus wrote:7bit - I think there is some way to hide unneeded fields. It's something I will have to look into.
[ Puts on Mediawiki-wizard hat ]

I was talking about {{{#ifeq:}}} before but it turns out that the Infobox template actually already uses it! It looks well-made (I seem to recall you had some trouble grabbing it from the official Mediawiki site), and hiding fields should hence be easy to do simply by making the |datax= setting blank.

Here's an example for infobox dkeyboard with most parameters optional:

Code: Select all

{{ infobox
|above = {{{name|<includeonly>{{title}}</includeonly>}}}

| label1      =Part Number
| data1       ={{{pn|}}}

| label2      = Branding
| data2       ={{{branding|}}}

| label3      = Manufacturer
| data3       = {{{manufacturer|}}}

| label4      =Layouts
| data4       ={{{layouts|}}}

| label5      =Key Switches
| data5       ={{{switch}}}

| label6      =Interface
| data6       ={{{interface}}}

| label7      =Weight
| data7       ={{{weight|}}}

| label8      =Years of Production
| data8       ={{{years|}}}

| label9      =Price
| data9       ={{{price|}}}
| 
}}
(If it's note clear, check the {{{price|}}} and {{{switch}}} parameters above. The pipe symbol tells Mediawiki what the default value of the parameter should be (e.g. you could use {{{layouts|ANSI 104 keys}}} to have a default layout setting), placing it right next to the braces makes it blank by default. The infobox then does the rest.

Obviously, the above only works if the datax parameter contains a parameter with an empty default value. If you want to do stuff like '|data8 = {{{years|}}} years' then if needs more of those {{{#ifeq:}}} logic.

[ Hat off ]

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Jul 2011, 21:47

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

25 Jul 2011, 00:18

Thanks for that Jbert.

I actually changed my template a bit so that you can set the title of the infobox independently of the title of the page. I've found this useful for some stuff, such as having an article with an official name, and the infobox with the manufacturing designation or whatever.

JBert

25 Jul 2011, 13:39

I didn't change the template yet as I didn't know which parameters were unused in your articles.

Either tell me what data parameters you want to make optional or follow my instructions above.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Jul 2011, 23:16

We have two keyboard model page title styles going, either "Brand/Company Model" or simply "Model". My vote would be for the first style. If we stick to that, various Cherry model pages would need to be renamed, i.e. "G80-5000" should become "Cherry G80-5000".

7bit

25 Jul 2011, 23:47

webwit wrote:We have two keyboard model page title styles going, either "Brand/Company Model" or simply "Model". My vote would be for the first style. If we stick to that, various Cherry model pages would need to be renamed, i.e. "G80-5000" should become "Cherry G80-5000".
I've found my G80-2100 more sleek. The shorter the names the less to type.

On the other hand, there could be redirects.

Another advantage: IBMs list under I, Cherrys under C and Key Tronics under K.

In other words:

mintberryminuscrunch

26 Jul 2011, 14:05

Hi I'd like your thoughts on a "Terminology Topic/category/article"
not sure yet how to realise it.
It could be done by using a main Category with a subcategory for each term
or one Article with each term sortet alphabetically
Edit: The main priority would be be to give a short basic explanation of each term that could refere to a more elaborate article where necessary/available.

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Jul 2011, 00:18

Yes, that sounds good. So to rephrase, we need an article with the top terms and a short explanation for each, linking to articles for each term when necessary/available, which are part of a terms category.

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Aug 2011, 00:37

im a complete noob to mediawiki but im eager to learn and have lots of shit to post...someone give me some more rights, cant have enough.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Aug 2011, 01:06

You have the right to remain silent!

Wait..I'm not doing this right. Motivate, motivate. Let's see, I'm not the wiki expert here, but I think you can do almost anything concerning content by default, it's an open thing, so my guess is it's best to go ahead and see where it brings you. My strategy so far has been to copy wiki codes and structure from other pages, and google for anything I didn't know how to do :mrgreen:

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Aug 2011, 08:46

Well, I seem either unable to or too stupid to find how to post new articles.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Aug 2011, 08:59

You go to a non existing page like MyNewPage in the example and click on Create:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/MyNewPage

Ascaii
The Beard

15 Aug 2011, 09:01

aha!

thanks

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

21 Aug 2011, 17:39

When uploading images to the Wiki using Opera 11.50, I get an "Invalid MIME Type" error. Seems to work fine with other browsers though.

ripster

21 Aug 2011, 18:06

How come you guys don't spatter the author's name all over the article?

No wonder Wikipedia is losing content providers.

JBert

21 Aug 2011, 21:20

Not sure if trolling or just being silly, but ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki#Characteristics
A wiki is not a carefully crafted site for casual visitors. Instead, it seeks to involve the visitor in an ongoing process of creation and collaboration that constantly changes the Web site landscape.
Collaboration only works well if people don't go wild on ownership - hence why "claiming" a page is frowned upon.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Aug 2011, 22:32

I never have a problem finding pictures in the public domain!

ripster

21 Aug 2011, 23:28

Collaboration only works well if people don't go wild on ownership - hence why "claiming" a page is frowned upon.
I'd rather whine about the OCN Mechanical Keyboard Guide and these mythical 3KRO keyboards and PS/2 superiority anyway.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

21 Aug 2011, 23:38

As far as I am concerned, I write stuff to inform other people. If I wanted to "own" all that information, I'd shut up and keep it to myself.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Aug 2011, 23:45

Reminds me of Webwit's 19th Axiom.

Beyond a certain quality level, there's no valuable knowledge on the Internet, because if someone has such knowledge, he or she will write a book about it instead.

the_buff

22 Aug 2011, 22:15

Question regarding wiki login--Are characters allowed in mediawiki user names (the "_" in "the_buff")?

I'm having trouble logging in.

Thx!

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Aug 2011, 22:57

Ah yes, see here:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?p=15506#p15506
The only workaround for now is to make a new username (just for logging into the wiki) without underscore.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Dec 2011, 20:00

I fixed a bunch of articles and added pictures here and there. Also wrote a couple of new ones:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-0904
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-3700

I realized we need a lot more redirects and categorizing. For example I set up redirects for stuff like:

double-shot, double shot, doubleshot -> Double-shot Molding article
access is, access -> Access-IS article

Someone should go through common spellings and variants like that and redirect them all to the main article.

Findecanor

09 Dec 2011, 14:46

The articles around key caps are in need of organization.
The current structure is this:

Article: Keycap construction Very short, and full of opinions.
Article: Keycap printing, with sections for "Pad printing", "Dye sublimation" etc.
Article: Double-shot molding
Category: Keycap Printing Techniques

There is redundancy, and no info about different types of plastics. There is also little and spread-out description of different types of key caps manufacturers and little about different profiles.

How do you think this should be organized?
Should we divide into separate articles about each technique or consolidate into larger documents?

Option 1: Many small articles, with categories
  • Categories for "Keycap plastic" and "Keycap printing technologies"
  • "Keycap construction" reconstructed to be an index linking to categories
  • "Keycap printing" reconstructed as an alias to "Keycap printing technologies"
  • New articles for "ABS", "PBT", "Pad printing",
  • Separate articles for "ABS", "PBT", "Double-shot molding", "Pad printing", "Dye sublimation" etc.
Option 2: Few large articles
  • "Keycap construction" reconstructed to be an index linking to articles.
  • Merge "Double shot molding" into "Keycap printing". Change article into alias.
  • New article "Keycap plastics"

ripster

09 Dec 2011, 16:22

Woohoo! Keep those pictures coming!

Findecanor

29 Dec 2011, 02:33

I added an Amiga article. I have got the info mostly from old Geekhack threads and my old mirky memory, and there ought to be errors here and there about the various models.
I have also not added any pictures -- I don't own any of the interesting keyboards, only a yellowed A500 and A1200.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Jan 2012, 16:42

Good work on those articles. I added some (very few) pictures. Might extend it later.

litster

10 Jan 2012, 02:21

I am writing a Phantom soldering instruction wiki. But I am a total noob on wiki editing. How do I create a page?

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jan 2012, 02:26

Don't worry, I think most of us who got into wiki editing were noobs. A new page is easy, think of the url/title you want it to have and go to that page, for example:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Blah_Blah

You'll get a blank page. Edit the page.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”