F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Ellipse

13 Nov 2015, 01:07

Unfortunately anodizing, brushed aluminum, and clear coating case options can not be offered. The CNC milling process does leave some surface discolorations, all of which do not show up after the part is powdercoated.

If the cases were completely redesigned and simplified to be extrudable out of a block of aluminum, or if we paid for die cast molds for the case, then brushed aluminum, anodizing and clear coating would likely be possible.

For those who want to pay extra for a custom powdercoated color (i.e. any color besides "off white", black, and gray) please coordinate with others who want just about the same color to minimize additional costs. I recommend posting what color you'd like and then seeing what other interest there is. For example, if you wanted a blue color, you would need to coordinate which specific Pantone color you'd like (you can go to a hardware store and ask to see their Pantone color swatches). I estimate each extra color will involve splitting $50 to $100 in additional costs among everyone who wants that color.

Some custom colors requested so far (remember to specify a specific Pantone color when making your request - they can't work with RAL colors): Purple, Porcelain white, white, white ivory, semi-gloss black, silver, Hellgrau, pink, gunmetal gray, Hunter green, red, blue, mat dark gray

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2015, 01:14

Ellipse wrote: (i.e. any color besides "off white", black, and gray)
Is your default grey IBM industrial grey?

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Nov 2015, 02:10

Muirium wrote:
Is your default grey IBM industrial grey?
I would love to know what that Pantone number is. That wonderful color is a very strange warm gray with olive green and brown undertones.

Ellipse

13 Nov 2015, 02:39

Yep I picked colors as close as possible to my IBM Industrial gray SSK and off white/beige NIB F77. Interestingly each Industrial SSK, 101-key Industrial M, and Model F of mine had slightly different plastic/paint colors, so these new keyboards may not match your Kishsaver or Industrial Model M color exactly.
Last edited by Ellipse on 13 Nov 2015, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

darkspider

13 Nov 2015, 02:47

I'm to order black blank, so I want to know whether Pantone black can suit well to the keycaps.
Sadly Unicomp not offering pics of them, could anyone take some photo of black blanks?

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Nov 2015, 02:59

darkspider

13 Nov 2015, 03:31

thank you :)

snoopy

13 Nov 2015, 08:11

unicomp has black again?

andrewjoy

13 Nov 2015, 10:41

Will you offer different types of powder coating ? For example you can get textured so it will not be flat , you can get gloss semi gloss and matte.

I dont know what pantone is closest to industrial grey but this may help

http://rgb.to/ral/7030

Ellipse

13 Nov 2015, 13:28

The powder coating will be matte and textured like the originals. If you want something else pls PM me and I will get you a price and see if it is feasible. Assume $50 to $100 more in tooling for each custom powdercoating option or color.

13 Nov 2015, 13:55

snoopy wrote: unicomp has black again?
All but the standard 2.75x right shift. Have to open a support ticket with them to order. Get a 101 blank black key set, 7x black spacebar and one extra 1.75x blank black caps lock key and you can cover the majority of the 4 layouts here. Order an ISO blank black enter key as well, along with two 1.3x blank black modifiers and have full coverage in any possible config.

snoopy

13 Nov 2015, 14:34

ok... but there are no black iso keys. neither the iso enter, nor the iso left shift. unicomp never had them.

13 Nov 2015, 14:54

snoopy wrote: ok... but there are no black iso keys. neither the iso enter, nor the iso left shift. unicomp never had them.
Oh wow. Learn something new everyday. :-)

snoopy

13 Nov 2015, 14:56

I think that's cause there was never a black ibm bs keyboard for the german/european market.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2015, 14:56

Always safe to expect the worst from Unicomp.

Also, expect Fohat to show up to lecture us about dying our own caps, as usual. Blech! I've got to assume it stinks up the house. And I'm already persona non grata in the kitchen anyway…

darkspider

13 Nov 2015, 15:10

snoopy wrote: ok... but there are no black iso keys. neither the iso enter, nor the iso left shift. unicomp never had them.
It seems I can opt black iso left shift(can't choose black iso enter). So I guess they have stock of black iso left shift.
Attachments
20151113230626.jpg
20151113230626.jpg (134.42 KiB) Viewed 5465 times

snoopy

13 Nov 2015, 15:16

a guy at unicomp once told me that they don't have those... but it's unicomp... so you'll never know... :lol:

maybe they also have some spare black right shift laying around somewhere. :roll:

Vizir

13 Nov 2015, 18:14

Muirium wrote:Always safe to expect the worst from Unicomp.

Also, expect Fohat to show up to lecture us about dying our own caps, as usual. Blech! I've got to assume it stinks up the house. And I'm already persona non grata in the kitchen anyway…
Reading this made me think of you sitting in a rocking chair on your porch yelling at kids to stay off your grass. :P

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2015, 18:21

I would. But rocking chairs can't survive in all the wet outdoors in Scotland. We yell from our doorsteps instead!

Excuse me for a moment…

Damn it Unicomp, what did I say about staying off the effing grass!!

Engicoder

13 Nov 2015, 19:55

Muirium wrote: I would. But rocking chairs can't survive in all the wet outdoors in Scotland. We yell from our doorsteps instead!

Excuse me for a moment…

Damn it Unicomp, what did I say about staying off the effing grass!!

You folks do have lovely grass....
DCP_1154.JPG
DCP_1154.JPG (396.8 KiB) Viewed 5352 times

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2015, 20:03

Spring

Summer

Winter

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Nov 2015, 20:06

Well all that looks very welcoming! Not how I picture it:
Culloden_Field.jpg
Culloden_Field.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 5417 times

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2015, 20:13

I was up there, for the first time, last year. But across the eastern horizon, a mean, foul sky brewed and I bailed. Good thing too, it bloody well tossed down for the next hour solid.

Inverness: surprisingly arduous and time consuming to get to from Edinburgh. Because despite inventing the steam engine and all, we're still refreshingly backwards at transit on this island.

mr_a500

13 Nov 2015, 20:18

Canadian summer/winter:

Keep off the damn snow!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Nov 2015, 20:20

Damn that's a impressive comparison shot.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2015, 20:33

Yeah, I may live further up at 56º north, but A500 is in the land of true snow. Doesn't fall nearly as much here, with our oceanic climate. Pisses down with rain and hail for the most part, instead.

Ellipse

14 Nov 2015, 21:38

I have 3 spare F77 regular and F62 regular layout PCBs which are extras from my very first prototype PCB run - if anyone has their own spare xwhatsit controller and wants to do their own soldering your keyboard can include one of these PCBs.

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2015, 21:39

Hmm…

Check!

Vizir

15 Nov 2015, 00:35

Regular and not hhkb :(

Ellipse

15 Nov 2015, 00:43

Depending on interest, all of the HHKB style PCBs may have detachable controllers so you may be able to bring your own controller for those as well. I will let everyone know.

Return to “Group buys”