Round 4 / packing (99.8%) / shipping (99.7%)

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 12:32

JBert wrote:As always, I'd start with thumb-nailing all the pictures in there (make it about 400px high). After that you might want to ditch all those language-specific sub-sections and just talk about the "J-enter, x wide" info in the picture's label.
Those full-width layout graphics have the advantage that you don't need to click on them to be able to read the text on the keys.

I will not get rid of those lanuage kits, because a lot of people need them.
pederlol wrote:Just a small thing: In the DE, NO and SE layouts, shouldn't L-shaped return be included (cololured red)? And there's no picture for the Danish layout.

Looking so much forward to this groupbuy! Thanks :)
They are all included. DK layout will be the next I do, after I did IT, ES, FI, SI, COLEMAK and DVORAK!
That's promised!
Last edited by 7bit on 27 Oct 2011, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

lal

27 Oct 2011, 12:51

sinis wrote:I am laughing so hard about grown up people complaining the scroll bar is too small, being demotivating. lmao
I did not complain but express my thoughts about why the order numbers are currently much lower than they will be in the end, IMO. I may be wrong, but I think having to read through a dozen pages of documentation is one of the reasons why a significant amount of potentially interested people is putting their order off for as long as possible. That's not a problem for a real keyboard nut, of course. It is for the gamer@gh (1<<n), I think.

Grond

27 Oct 2011, 13:05

May I ask what's the status for language kits?
Also, if its not too late, I'd like to propose another kind of Cherry RGBY kit: color legends on black keys, font and color matching black Cherry DS as in Moogle kit 2.

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 13:43

Grond wrote:May I ask what's the status for language kits?
Also, if its not too late, I'd like to propose another kind of Cherry RGBY kit: color legends on black keys, font and color matching black Cherry DS as in Moogle kit 2.
For ROUND3, RETRO, NOIR and DARK these exist already!

ROUND3/RGBY/BLACK
RETRO/RGBY
NOIR/RGBY
DARK/RGBY

This is a bit discourageing:
DARK/ES.......................1
DARK/FR.......................1
DARK/FR/ORANGE................2
DARK/SE/ORANGE................1
NOIR/DE.......................2
NOIR/ES.......................1
NOIR/FI.......................2
NOIR/FR.......................4
NOIR/SE.......................1
NOIR/UK.......................1
RETRO/DE......................1
RETRO/DK......................1
RETRO/DVORAK..................1
RETRO/ES......................1
RETRO/FI......................1
RETRO/FR......................1
RETRO/IT......................1
RETRO/SE......................1
RETRO/UK......................1
ROUND3/ES.....................1
ROUND3/FR.....................1
ROUND3/SE.....................2

I try to make sure that you get your language specific stuff, but it will be a bit more expensive at these low quantities.
Last edited by 7bit on 27 Oct 2011, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Soarer

27 Oct 2011, 13:48

7bit wrote:
lal wrote:...
What do you mean "horror stories"?

I don;t understand. Do you've got a link?
Perhaps lal is reading between the lines a bit, but clearly there's a difference between:
'I would be willing do to round 4 if you'd like me to.' (6th June)
and, seven weeks later:
'It's simply something I can't do again. It's WAY too much to deal with.' (26th July)

I can imagine sorting standard kits going fairly quickly, with practice maybe only a couple of seconds per key. But then a bit longer for smaller kits, a lot longer for single keys, and finally double-checking that each box sent out has the right stuff in it. It must've felt like it was never going to end!

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 13:59

Soarer wrote:...
I can imagine sorting standard kits going fairly quickly, with practice maybe only a couple of seconds per key. But then a bit longer for smaller kits, a lot longer for single keys, and finally double-checking that each box sent out has the right stuff in it. It must've felt like it was never going to end!
I've originally thought that he would do it together with some other GHers, but not that he will do it alone.

The requirements for next time are:
- more than one person
- photographs of all kits to see if they came out as intended
- located in the US

The last point is the problem. I'd do it with pleasure and I'm very sure to find lots of people to help me, but there are the shipping costs and the extra VAT and all that.

Grond

27 Oct 2011, 14:01

ROUND3/RGBY/BLACK
RETRO/RGBY
NOIR/RGBY
DARK/RGBY
But they don't sport the Cherry font...
I try to make sure that you get your language specific stuff, but it will be a bit more expensive at these low quantities.
I don't know, maybe you should limit the language kits for one style only. Then again, I seem to be the only one who wants an Italian kit, so I don't think it's gonna be done in the end.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 Oct 2011, 14:06

7bit wrote:
Soarer wrote:...
I've originally thought that he would do it together with some other GHers, but not that he will do it alone.

The requirements for next time are:
- more than one person
- photographs of all kits to see if they came out as intended
- located in the US

The last point is the problem. I'd do it with pleasure and I'm very sure to find lots of people to help me, but there are the shipping costs and the extra VAT and all that.
if we do end up distributing+sorting here ill come and help.

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 14:08

Grond wrote:

ROUND3/RGBY/BLACK
RETRO/RGBY
NOIR/RGBY
DARK/RGBY
But they don't sport the Cherry font...
I don't know, maybe you should limit the language kits for one style only. Then again, I seem to be the only one who wants an Italian kit, so I don't think it's gonna be done in the end.
These kits (except for the French :roll: ) have a lot of keys in cokmon, so I can go the same route as in Round 3 and offer some multi-language kit (like the NORDIC kit).

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 14:09

Ascaii wrote:if we do end up distributing+sorting here ill come and help.
Thanks! I knew you would!

laggy-gaga

27 Oct 2011, 14:37

Juz check my order..
$450...
shit, my finance...

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 14:55

laggy-gaga wrote:Juz check my order..
$450...
shit, my finance...
These are only US$ not AUS$.

It won't be that expensive in reality!

Soarer

27 Oct 2011, 15:39

7bit wrote:...
- located in the US

I think it's worth doing some sums on that. Shipping lots of small flat rate boxes from the US is not efficient, since keycaps weigh so little. So I think there could be some savings there to offset against the taxes and second leg shipping.

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 15:49

Soarer wrote:I think it's worth doing some sums on that. Shipping lots of small flat rate boxes from the US is not efficient, since keycaps weigh so little. So I think there could be some savings there to offset against the taxes and second leg shipping.
OK, I will ask SP about shipping costs for 7 big boxes.

One option might be to split the whole thing up and distibute one half in the US and the other from Europe.

sinis

27 Oct 2011, 16:21

maybe it is possible to sort the keys first for europe and US and then ship them there. then sort them for every order?

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 16:35

sinis wrote:maybe it is possible to sort the keys first for europe and US and then ship them there. then sort them for every order?
This is exactly what I mean, but I still have to find someone to do that.

Soarer

27 Oct 2011, 17:24

And that's exactly what I was thinking - it would be silly to sort keys for US buyers over here!

An initial sort into EU / Other should be fairly painless - the keycaps could be weighed to count them. Plus, most if not all of the language kits would come this way. I think dividing them up like that would take a small amount of time compared to the QA and photographing.

Let's say that EU buyers order 80 small flat rate boxes worth of keys - that would cost about $1200 to send individually from the states! Two or three big boxes wouldn't cost anything like as much.

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 18:03

Soarer wrote:And that's exactly what I was thinking - it would be silly to sort keys for US buyers over here!

An initial sort into EU / Other should be fairly painless - the keycaps could be weighed to count them. Plus, most if not all of the language kits would come this way. I think dividing them up like that would take a small amount of time compared to the QA and photographing.

Let's say that EU buyers order 80 small flat rate boxes worth of keys - that would cost about $1200 to send individually from the states! Two or three big boxes wouldn't cost anything like as much.
Yea! let the Yankees sort their own stuff!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

27 Oct 2011, 18:21

Btw,

SP can directly split up shipments. We had "Red Alert" incoming to three different shipping addresses. Just saying.

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 18:21

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

More to come ...

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 18:22

sixty wrote:Btw,SP can directly split up shipments. We had "Red Alert" incoming to three different shipping addresses. Just saying.
Do they charge extra for the split-up?
And what did you pay for shipping to Europe of how many keys?

Soarer

27 Oct 2011, 19:37

sixty wrote:Btw,

SP can directly split up shipments. We had "Red Alert" incoming to three different shipping addresses. Just saying.
Could be useful, but it all needs to go to someone in the US to check for mistakes.

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 20:49

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Much more to come ...

nathanscribe

27 Oct 2011, 22:29

You should do a selection of webwit's ducks...

Would it be possible to see a pic of the colour samples for NOIR black, DARK dark grey, and previous Round 3 near-black and mid-dark grey together so I can judge how they'd mix, please?

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Oct 2011, 23:00

d.png
d.png (1003 Bytes) Viewed 4412 times

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 23:57

nathanscribe wrote:You should do a selection of webwit's ducks...

Would it be possible to see a pic of the colour samples for NOIR black, DARK dark grey, and previous Round 3 near-black and mid-dark grey together so I can judge how they'd mix, please?
NOIR is just white on black.

DARK black on dark grey, which is the same as Round 3.

7bit

27 Oct 2011, 23:58

webwit wrote:Image
This may take a while. Please wait here for the result ...
[=======================97%done============================>---]
D.png
D.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
The round part of the D isn't perfect. I will make it a bit rounder.

It would be helpful to have the original in a higher resolution.

Nevertheless, it will be the

DESKTHORITY key and comes in WA white on NN black.

Or, matching with the different styles:

*DTESC escape key
*DT100 1 unit modifier
*DT125 1.25 units modifier
*DT150 1.5 units modifier

To get it in RETRO style, just order:

RETRO/DTESC

7bit

28 Oct 2011, 19:37

Not much of an improvement:

ROUND3/STANDARD...............9
ROUND3/TENKLESS...............3