[HYPE-BUILDER] GMK Classic Beige

scottc

07 Apr 2015, 19:45

Huh, interesting. I think my winkeyless 1800 has A-profile mods. Perhaps they're not original to the board. I'll check the numpad zero later tonight to make sure .

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

07 Apr 2015, 20:15

You can just compare the 1u mods with the Shift key. I just did that and it's B. but who knows, strange are ways of the Cherry :lol:

scottc

07 Apr 2015, 20:18

Oh I know, I can tell A and B profile apart just because A profile is so massive! But what I meant is that I'd check the profile of the numpad 0 since it's a key unique to the 1800, so that I could determine whether the board was originally A profile or just got caps mixed up at some point.

Madhias
BS TORPE

07 Apr 2015, 20:31

kbdfr wrote:
DanielT wrote: For 1800 you need Delete, End, Pg Dn, - , + and 0ins […]
[…] AND a 1.75u right Shift.
Also, for the Winkeys version, 1u bottom row keys: 2xCtrl, 2xAlt, 1xMenu, [2xWindows are already contained in the main kit]
plus a 6u spacebar.
Thanks! So appart from the profile for winkeyless or only one sided winkeyless layouts the only keys that are missing are the 0/Ins and the 1u + key?

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Apr 2015, 19:10

Thanks to HoffmanMyster @ GH all non-EU buyers will be getting a very, very nice price. He is located within the USA and will be proxying those orders to avoid VAT. He's not a member here on DT, but he is one of the _very_ few people I would trust with this job. I estimate the main set will be around $100-110.

EU buyers will still get a nice price considering EU sets will be shipping from the UK, and no import fees will need to be paid. It will be about 20% higher since VAT will have to be paid on EU orders.

Me and Hoff just need to work out proper shipping costs and then this GB will launch. I want to get this started ASAP.

---

Winkeyless 1800 requires 7 keys if you include both A and B profile support. The extra kit is 20 keys at the moment. Adding 1800 keys would increase the price by 1/3! I cut it out along with a lot of other things to keep the price low. I'm afraid it will stay this way.

chzel

08 Apr 2015, 19:24

Thank you photekq, can't wait for it to start!
Is there any chance to offer the "moogle kit" as a separate kit from the main, so someone could order an extra or two? (mainly for spacebar replacement and "modernizing" original Cherry sets)?
I am not proposing extra caps, just a different split!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Apr 2015, 19:27

It would then, as always, miss the holy AltGr cap :mrgreen:

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Apr 2015, 19:29

chzel wrote: Thank you photekq, can't wait for it to start!
Is there any chance to offer the "moogle kit" as a separate kit from the main, so someone could order an extra or two? (mainly for spacebar replacement and "modernizing" original Cherry sets)?
I am not proposing extra caps, just a different split!
I think that would be a good idea. However, there's one problem.

With GMK, the smaller the 'set', the higher the cost per key.

E.G (not real prices):

A set of 4 1u keys would cost 4EUR
A set of 12 1u keys would cost 10EUR

So, if we were to break the moogle kit off, the total price for buying the main kit (minus the moogle) + the moogle would be higher than buying the main kit as-is.

If we were to keep the main kit as-is, and offer a moogle kit as well, I seriously doubt the moogle kit would reach MOQ.

---

For spacebars, I will be trying to offer an option to buy extra spacebars, as I know those will have no problem hitting MOQ.

chzel

08 Apr 2015, 19:38

photekq wrote: So, if we were to break the moogle kit off, the total price for buying the main kit (minus the moogle) + the moogle would be higher than buying the main kit as-is.
I see...GMK's rules are funny...any estimate how much more expensive it would be?
photekq wrote:If we were to keep the main kit as-is, and offer a moogle kit as well, I seriously doubt the moogle kit would reach MOQ.
I also doubt that it would reach MOQ as an extra, but does offering it and not hitting MOQ create any problems other than the frustration induced? I mean, does it harm our negotiating?
Thanks again for doing this!
For the love of thick DS!

Madhias
BS TORPE

08 Apr 2015, 21:08

chzel wrote:
photekq wrote: So, if we were to break the moogle kit off, the total price for buying the main kit (minus the moogle) + the moogle would be higher than buying the main kit as-is.
I see...GMK's rules are funny...any estimate how much more expensive it would be?
That's probably why GMK won the ping award here, and would win it again :)

Muirium
µ

08 Apr 2015, 21:26

Anyone know how BSP compares to GMK for MOQ?

photekq
Cherry Picker

08 Apr 2015, 21:29

Muirium wrote: Anyone know how BSP compares to GMK for MOQ?
400 for BSP (as far as I know), 250 for GMK.

BSP no longer offers dyesubbing for their MX keycaps, so they only sell blank keycaps.

The only way to get dyesubbed BSP is through imsto, who dyesubs the blank keycaps.
Last edited by photekq on 08 Apr 2015, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

08 Apr 2015, 21:34

Those Imtso dyesubbed BSP caps you nominated for the DT awards were downright succulent. Keep us appraised of any new GBs!

Right now, SP needs some competition in the custom legend space. Their dyesub DSAs are nice, but not a profile I favour in use. So many of the best ideas we have for keysets can only really be done as dyesub, and PBT's a spectacular material too. If Imsto worked with us on custom stuff… mercy.

SL89

08 Apr 2015, 21:38

Well it can't hurt to ask him / them!

Madhias
BS TORPE

08 Apr 2015, 21:41

I think one of the problems is that GMK main kits have to be around $100 to be successfully. It is weird, since if it costs more a lot of people complain about the price, but order a lot of different sets in a short period of time. A set like this, *beige* GMK, the most classical set you can imagine, could run maybe longer, and implement a lot of things everyone always wanted to have! Big moggle kits! ALT GR! 1800! Think of it like the Round 4 group buy or Round 5 to come etc., classical 'easy' and not fancy colors, with great resale values.

SL89

08 Apr 2015, 21:43

+1

pyrelink

08 Apr 2015, 23:57

I have sworn off Cherry MX keycap buys almost entirely (I just don't use Cherry switches much anymore) but I am making an exception for this buy, as I love it so much. I very much like the idea Madhias has. Keep it open longer with more options.

SL89

08 Apr 2015, 23:59

pyrelink wrote: I have sworn off Cherry MX keycap buys almost entirely (I just don't use Cherry switches much anymore) but I am making an exception for this buy, as I love it so much. I very much like the idea Madhias has. Keep it open longer with more options.
I'd be in it for the long haul to get more options. If there is anything I've learned from Round 5 it's BE PATIENT.

Sev

10 Apr 2015, 20:31

Do I have to sign up somewhere to join?

chzel

10 Apr 2015, 21:14

It has not started yet, but it shouldn't be too long before it does!

Zensuji.

13 Apr 2015, 11:04

I'm in for a set for sure.

Sev

13 Apr 2015, 11:08

Many great sets and hard to choose one. Red alert, olivetti or this? :D

Zensuji.

13 Apr 2015, 11:43

Gotta be the classic. You simply can't get board! :lol:

mathiasn

15 Apr 2015, 15:23

definitely in - once it starts

brentaarnold

17 Apr 2015, 17:53

Come on already :D. I've already purchased some keycaps to go with it!

xqwtz

11 May 2015, 08:57

Is this still happening?

SL89

11 May 2015, 15:27

Some day

DanielT

11 May 2015, 15:30

With so many GMK, JTK, SP buys it doesn't make any sense to start this one so soon ...

SL89

11 May 2015, 15:34

If I learned anything from round 5, it would have to be: ”Be Patient”

DanielT

11 May 2015, 16:10

SL89 wrote: If I learned anything from round 5, it would have to be: ”Be Patient”
That is true, but on the other hand I like to be able to use my boards. Except for HHKB all my boards are custom builds and they need caps. I'm fortunate to have enough caps for the moment to cover almost all my projects.

Return to “Group buys”