60%: shortcut for "Menu" key?

benichka

25 Feb 2015, 08:18

Hello there, it's been a while :)
I've got a question for you! Especially owners of a 60% keyboard, more specifically owners of a HHKB!

I got mine 6 months ago, it's working like a charm.

The only remaining thing that I can't do is one little thing: have the "real" behavior of a Menu key (which doesn't exist on a HHKB). I know the shortcut Shift+F10, but in a least one case it doesn't work well:

if you're running Windows, you can access the taskbar items by pressing Win+T, and then navigate through them. Now, if you push the Menu key (or right clic on) an item, a contextual menu appears; for instance, for Firefox, it gives you the possibily to open a new "private tab", open a new "window", etc.

But, it you push Shift+F10, it pops-up the menu to Reduce, Close, etc.

Does anybody know a shortcut for a "real" contextual menu?

I've been thinking about configuring a AutoHotKey script, but I don't have administrator rights on my work PC so it's feasible but not very handy.

Thank you!

Mal-2

25 Feb 2015, 09:10

benichka wrote: Does anybody know a shortcut for a "real" contextual menu?
It's Fn+Right Ctrl on my wireless Logitech. It might be Fn with one of the right side modifiers on your keyboard as well.

zts

25 Feb 2015, 10:24

Try CTRL+SHIFT+F10 and see if that works.
Edit: just tried on HHKB, this seems to work: CTRL+SHIFT+Fn+F10

benichka

25 Feb 2015, 11:02

Mal-2 wrote: It's Fn+Right Ctrl on my wireless Logitech. It might be Fn with one of the right side modifiers on your keyboard as well.
Thank you but no, there is no such thing on a HHKB apparently :/
zts wrote: Try CTRL+SHIFT+F10 and see if that works.
Edit: just tried on HHKB, this seems to work: CTRL+SHIFT+Fn+F10
Thank, but it does exactly the same as before :D

You can easily test it: press Win+t, select an item (with the arrows or by pressing again Win+t), then press SHIFT+F10 or CTRL+SHIFT+F10.

Then just right clic on this same item, you will see what I'm talking about :D

Thank you!

benichka

25 Feb 2015, 19:53

I didn't find anything that works today :(
However, I created a simple script in AutoHotKey that works:

Code: Select all

+#r::
 Send {AppsKey}
The behavior is as expected with that...

wheybags

25 Feb 2015, 23:34

People actually _use_ the menu key? O.o
Next you'll say you use scroll lock...

26 Feb 2015, 00:29

wheybags wrote: People actually _use_ the menu key? O.o
All the time, in excel. Use the menu key to quickly access the menu to format a cell. Use scroll lock intermittently for navigation reasons.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Feb 2015, 11:35

I even use CapsLock quite extensively :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

26 Feb 2015, 11:38

Caps Lock has its place. (Preferably out of harm's way!) But Num Lock and Scroll Lock… come on!

They don't even exist on the Mac. And I don't think anyone ever noticed.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Feb 2015, 11:47

kbdfr wrote:
I even use CapsLock quite extensively :mrgreen:
I do use the menu key but CTRL+SHIFT+Fn+F10 is a lousy option for this. This is a very Windows specific function that the HHKB falls short on.

Muirium
µ

26 Feb 2015, 11:49

Yup. As intended! The Realforce is the Windows friendly Topre. While the HHKB is for us on the Mac! Just look at those legends.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Feb 2015, 11:52

no come on HHKB is not exclusively aimed at Mac users! No way Jose, don´t believe the hype. :D

Muirium
µ

26 Feb 2015, 11:56

I didn't say that. I said it has Mac friendly legends and layout. You guys have the Realforce aimed at you. Even has those domed Windows keys you love!

Both keyboards work on both platforms of course. But a Realforce is just as kludgey as a vintage IBM at actually matching the symbols OS X interprets from it.

HzFaq

26 Feb 2015, 12:00

0100010 wrote:
All the time, in excel. Use the menu key to quickly access the menu to format a cell. Use scroll lock intermittently for navigation reasons.
Seconding this, I use both keys fairly regularly for the same reason; the formatting menu is in a stupid place so it's quicker to menu+f (or ALT HOE) and copying data from an Excel form is so much easier with scroll lock on.

benichka

26 Feb 2015, 14:57

seebart wrote: I do use the menu key but CTRL+SHIFT+Fn+F10 is a lousy option for this.
Yep, tell me about it...
The AutoHotKey is a good alternative though.

I do not use the Menu key that much, but I can tell that it's missing when I want it, because I'm so used to it :/ Especially on Excel indeed!

The RealForce will be for later :mrgreen: And the HHKB is so handy!

Return to “Keyboards”