Case discussions

4LI4Z

13 Jan 2013, 16:11

I'm also a fan of the phantom milled A. I like the design, it looks a bit like the cheat. Do you think you could also make a Filco compatible version?

damorgue

13 Jan 2013, 19:24

4LI4Z wrote:I'm also a fan of the phantom milled A. I like the design, it looks a bit like the cheat. Do you think you could also make a Filco compatible version?
I don't have one, and I recon it would be troublesome. That design holds onto the edges of the plate, where the Filco plate is bent and has a flange.

graboy

13 Jan 2013, 20:11

damorgue wrote: I don't have one, and I recon it would be troublesome. That design holds onto the edges of the plate, where the Filco plate is bent and has a flange.
Couldn't we potentially just get a replacement plate for filcos, and use the same case? I'm certain plenty of people would be interested in this if its not going to add a lot to the cost.

damorgue

13 Jan 2013, 20:40

graboy wrote:
damorgue wrote: I don't have one, and I recon it would be troublesome. That design holds onto the edges of the plate, where the Filco plate is bent and has a flange.
Couldn't we potentially just get a replacement plate for filcos, and use the same case? I'm certain plenty of people would be interested in this if its not going to add a lot to the cost.
Yes, but to remove the old Filco plate from its PCB, you would have to desolder all the switches. That'd be a lot of work just to be able to resuse the PCB of the FIico. You could probably sell that Filco, and buy a Phantom PCB instead to save you the trouble.

4LI4Z

13 Jan 2013, 22:46

Yes, but to remove the old Filco plate from its PCB, you would have to desolder all the switches. That'd be a lot of work just to be able to resuse the PCB of the FIico. You could probably sell that Filco, and buy a Phantom PCB instead to save you the trouble.
De- and resolderinga all switches would be no big deal for me, I always wanted to replace the stock filco plate with an aluminium one, which allows to open up switches. If that would also allow to use the phantom milled A case that would be to awesome. :)

nebo

16 Jan 2013, 19:07

Just wondering if there is anything I could do to help with this (live in the US). With the phantom GB2 coming to a close I'm in need of a case for it instead of just gutting a filco or the likes and I'm assuming the design A would only be compatible with the plate it comes wtih.

TDub

17 Jan 2013, 10:58

I have been thinking about trying to design a simple case for the poker/GH60, similar to your sheet based phantom design, but I have no idea if I am really up to the task. What program did you use to design your drawings?

4LI4Z

21 Jan 2013, 20:52

Do you have any updates for us?

agor

22 Jan 2013, 11:17

Phantom Milled A looks really nice

damorgue

22 Jan 2013, 21:02

Sorry, been busy pas week. The shops I was speaking too don't want to make a cheap prototype as there is no guarantee of future profits for them. Luckily, a person from the forums has volunteered a contact who might make em for material costs. It means remaking the drawings a bit as these were adjusted to better fit the capabilities of those shops.
TDub wrote:I have been thinking about trying to design a simple case for the poker/GH60, similar to your sheet based phantom design, but I have no idea if I am really up to the task. What program did you use to design your drawings?
I am using some softwares which I am already familiar with. If you have no previous experience, I would suggest you try and learn AutoCAD as it is often used with largely 2D work, and considered one of the easier ones.

agor

23 Jan 2013, 12:22

damorgue wrote: Luckily, a person from the forums has volunteered a contact who might make em for material costs. It means remaking the drawings a bit as these were adjusted to better fit the capabilities of those shops.
Fingers crossed. Always wanted to have an aluminum tkl board!

BimboBB

23 Jan 2013, 13:10

@damorgue

Do you know if the case will suit the "normal" phantom plates, or will the case come with his own plates?

damorgue

23 Jan 2013, 15:31

BimboBB wrote:@damorgue

Do you know if the case will suit the "normal" phantom plates, or will the case come with his own plates?
It will work with normal phantom plates, that is the intention at least. Hopefully the second plate GB for Phantom uses the same dimensions.

Acanthophis

23 Jan 2013, 17:06

Overall compatibility would make a lot of folks happy *hint hint* ;)

BimboBB

23 Jan 2013, 17:45

Yep, that would be great indeed! :)

So people could easily swap with their pantom pcb/plate from one case to the other.

nebo

25 Jan 2013, 19:55

damorgue wrote:
BimboBB wrote:@damorgue

It will work with normal phantom plates, that is the intention at least. Hopefully the second plate GB for Phantom uses the same dimensions.
Is anybody able to confirm this? Asked on GH in their various phantom2 plate/building threads and didn't get a response.

damorgue

27 Jan 2013, 23:58

damorgue wrote:How many variations are needed for the top piece?
Standard - What you might consider normal or a regular layout.
Arrclus - Only has the arrow cluster opened up to allow for the 5 keys above it to be used
Winkeyless - Has small areas which block and cover up the holes left by the lack of winkeys
Winkeyless_Arrclus - A combination of Winkeyless and Arrclus
7bit - Area above arrowcluster opened and entire F-row open

Edit: I need a name for it too. :D
I wonder if I should add with/without holes for caps lock and scroll lock LEDs.
It will double the number of top pieces though :roll:

Also, which colours do you guys want? Red Alert, Ragnarock, White on Black?

Edit: I totally forgot that CCnG was quite popular a while back

pasph

28 Jan 2013, 00:57

red on silver and white on green

Gilgam

28 Jan 2013, 08:35

Wow ! i love all of them, but the first three are better for me.

Acanthophis

28 Jan 2013, 08:36

I would love something white/off-white as main colour. Like the Filcos. Preferably green or black as side colour.
That'd be perfect :)

agor

28 Jan 2013, 08:41

Really like 1 and 2.

dirge

28 Jan 2013, 08:46

that colour :)

BimboBB

28 Jan 2013, 11:37

The two black ones looking great! :)

damorgue

28 Jan 2013, 15:15

Acanthophis wrote:I would love something white/off-white as main colour. Like the Filcos. Preferably green or black as side colour.
That'd be perfect :)
Off white may not be possible because of limitations in the colours available for anodizing. CCnG may be more of a natural aluminium and green.

Do you guys want with or without holes for the LEDs?

4LI4Z

28 Jan 2013, 15:21

I like the silver-black version. Holes for Caps Lock and Scroll Lock would be awesome.

Acanthophis

28 Jan 2013, 15:26

Well, then white it is :D
And I would prefer the case top without LED holes.

BimboBB

28 Jan 2013, 15:47

LED holes, I dont bother. Both options would be fine with me.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

28 Jan 2013, 16:22

Anybody ever thought of trying to build a LEGO-case? : )

or LEGO-Technik?

I mean something like this:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/23/lego-c ... ficiently/
Last edited by t!ng on 28 Jan 2013, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

pasph

28 Jan 2013, 16:24

With LED holes

nebo

28 Jan 2013, 17:30

White/Red and Black/White look awesome. LED holes don't really make a difference to me.

Return to “Keyboards”