Has anyone here heard of a Alps keyboard that is PCB mounted?

courtesi

18 Nov 2015, 19:56

I know there are supporters of things like the Cherry G80-11900/3000/18xx, HHKB, Neo Zelia, Plum 96, Poker 1, etc...

But what about Alps; is PCB mounted even a possibility? And if it is, what challenges would there be?

The only one I can think of right away would be the tight fitting caps might make it easier to rip switches out of it.

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2015, 19:58

No idea. But the HHKB isn't PCB mounted. The plate is integrated into the case, instead.

chzel

18 Nov 2015, 20:04

courtesi wrote: But what about Alps; is PCB mounted even a possibility? And if it is, what challenges would there be?
Possible it is...safe for the switches...not so much!

Alps switches have no locating pins, and the contacts are located on the same side along the top side of the switch.
So if you had a PCB mounted switch and pushed the top of the cap (or switch) towards the back of the board, you'd be applying too much torque to the fragile pins possibly ripping them off. Not to mention the excessive instability...

Hak Foo

19 Nov 2015, 04:26

I saw a board on the various rubbish-from-China sites once that apeared to have ALPS-like switches but you could see a PCB, not a plate. It was under the name "MG Flame" and I didn't buy one because I fgured there'd be no way to transplant GOOD switches onto it and retain integrity.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Qua ... 03086.html for pics

stratokaster

19 Nov 2015, 09:27

Hak Foo wrote: I saw a board on the various rubbish-from-China sites once that apeared to have ALPS-like switches but you could see a PCB, not a plate. It was under the name "MG Flame" and I didn't buy one because I fgured there'd be no way to transplant GOOD switches onto it and retain integrity.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Qua ... 03086.html for pics
Looks like those switches have mounting pins
Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 10.26.06.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 10.26.06.png (270.79 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

hasu

19 Nov 2015, 09:55

Muirium
µ

19 Nov 2015, 21:13

I've got a few of those. The LED version:

Might be a little tricky to source for practical purposes though!

Return to “Keyboards”