IBM Keyboard switch crispness/sound thread

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

02 Mar 2015, 00:23

Rotti wrote: Just thought I would post a couple videos I made. They are on my IBM F XT. One was before a floss mod and the other is after. Both are shot on the same night, same table, same camera, same tripod. I just didn't feel like editing video (haven't done that yet) so I shot the first one, did the mod, and shot the second video.
I didn't use standard floss, I used the interior core strands from paracord.
Sorry about the background noise. It was about -20°F that night and I live in a 100 year old house. So the furnace ran about all night.
Nice Job! :)

I kinda want an XT now, the sound seems great to me. Don't really care for flossmods though.

Rotti

02 Mar 2015, 00:49

Redmaus wrote:
Rotti wrote: Just thought I would post a couple videos I made. They are on my IBM F XT. One was before a floss mod and the other is after. Both are shot on the same night, same table, same camera, same tripod. I just didn't feel like editing video (haven't done that yet) so I shot the first one, did the mod, and shot the second video.
I didn't use standard floss, I used the interior core strands from paracord.
Sorry about the background noise. It was about -20°F that night and I live in a 100 year old house. So the furnace ran about all night.
Nice Job! :)

I kinda want an XT now, the sound seems great to me. Don't really care for flossmods though.
Really though, the only thing the floss mod changed was the high pitched ping of the springs from every keypress.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

02 Mar 2015, 01:52

Right. That is all I noticed too. I personally like the ping, so i'm not into floss mods.

Still want an XT though ;)

Ellipse

02 Mar 2015, 03:59

By disassembling one of my Model F keyboards' inner assemblies and gently/slightly increasing the bend of the top metal plate only, I was able to improve (increase) the crispness of the keyboard significantly. I did not replace the foam. Putting everything back together required more clamping though.

Rotti

02 Mar 2015, 04:42

Ellipse wrote: By disassembling one of my Model F keyboards' inner assemblies and gently/slightly increasing the bend of the top metal plate only, I was able to improve (increase) the crispness of the keyboard significantly. I did not replace the foam. Putting everything back together required more clamping though.

Going to try this next time I take my AT apart.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

02 Mar 2015, 04:50

Wow, I didn't expect something like bending the plate to affect the switches. Any ideas on how to bend it?

Return to “Keyboards”