Metal Case for 122 key model F?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 05:11

I have seen some metal cases that have very nice paint jobs and people always say the metal cases feel much more premium and solid.

In this thread :http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-3 ... m%20spring
Kuato made a custom metal lid by meeting up with a local fabricator. Would this be possible to replicate with a full model F case? If so, any estimate on the price? I have already tried searching and got zero results so i do not believe anyone else has done it. Please help me, as this will make my model F the ultimate metal behemoth.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 07:24

Jeezus I don't know what happened, I was pretty sure I had typed that in there. I have a 122 key model F and what im looking to try to make is a full metal body replacement for the plastic one.

kuato

06 Feb 2015, 18:18

Unless you're making a significant production run it will be pretty expensive to design a custom case like that. You have to get the board dimensioned, design and make the assembly drawing print and dxf file suitable for a machinist or operator to manufacture the part. Also add the cost to create tool paths and g-code, and even prototype quantities... could be around >$1k for a one-off.

This is my general understanding, but if there are guys here with first hand experience please correct me.

scottc

06 Feb 2015, 18:20

A full-metal Model F 122 case would likely be crazily expensive unless you managed to convince tens of people to join in.

You should look at getting a beam spring instead :D

Muirium
µ

06 Feb 2015, 18:21

Or a Kishsaver. A grand ought to even get you one at Ellipse price!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 18:51

kuato wrote: Unless you're making a significant production run it will be pretty expensive to design a custom case like that. You have to get the board dimensioned, design and make the assembly drawing print and dxf file suitable for a machinist or operator to manufacture the part. Also add the cost to create tool paths and g-code, and even prototype quantities... could be around >$1k for a one-off.

This is my general understanding, but if there are guys here with first hand experience please correct me.

Yeah... Thats what I was afraid of. However, I will have this keyboard for a long time and I am pretty young so maybe in the future it could be less expensive to manufacture. Or we could organize something but it depends if the people here want a metal case for the 122 key or would rather just get a kish or 4704. I really like the 122 key layout and it has really grown on me. My model F is in really good condition, how long do you think it will last considered I don't abuse it?

kuato

06 Feb 2015, 19:08

Redmaus wrote: My model F is in really good condition, how long do you think it will last considered I don't abuse it?
around 30 years :lol:

idollar
i$

06 Feb 2015, 19:11

Redmaus wrote: I really like the 122 key layout and it has really grown on me. My model F is in really good condition, how long do you think it will last considered I don't abuse it?
I am typing this post with a mode F 122 from the 86 (this one).

It was used for at least 20 years in a Telefonica's office. The program in the screen required lot of side Function keys for sure. How do I know it, because you can feel that the case is polished by the used on the left side corner.
Try to find in the pictures what I am referring to. You cannot see it. Can't you ?

So, answering your question: I guess that you can count with 25+ years of heavy use to get to a point in which you will notice that the board is used.

Enjoy your keyboard. If you enjoy working with your hands, enjoy working on it, but do not try to find excuses to do it. There is no need :-) just open and close while the joy continues :D

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 19:44

idollar wrote:
Redmaus wrote: I really like the 122 key layout and it has really grown on me. My model F is in really good condition, how long do you think it will last considered I don't abuse it?
I am typing this post with a mode F 122 from the 86 (this one).

It was used for at least 20 years in a Telefonica's office. The program in the screen required lot of side Function keys for sure. How do I know it, because you can feel that the case is polished by the used on the left side corner.
Try to find in the pictures what I am referring to. You cannot see it. Can't you ?

So, answering your question: I guess that you can count with 25+ years of heavy use to get to a point in which you will notice that the board is used.

Enjoy your keyboard. If you enjoy working with your hands, enjoy working on it, but do not try to find excuses to do it. There is no need :-) just open and close while the joy continues :D

Wow, those are a lot of pictures of a really nice board I will be sure to look at it later. I am glad to know that yours is still working after 25+ years. The reason I am asking is because I am only 15 and I want to be sure that this will last me a very long time. Yea and what I meant by how long it will last is how long it will take until the springs/hammers give out. I just thought a metal case would also be a good idea because of all the nice finishes and paint jobs people put on theirs. Like Snoopy made his a really slick black, Kuato gave his a stainless look, and I might do a gunmetal gray finish if I were to have one.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 19:48

kuato wrote:
Redmaus wrote: My model F is in really good condition, how long do you think it will last considered I don't abuse it?
around 30 years :lol:
I think that will do it :duck:

Hopefully by the time I am that old Unicomp will have released their own model F board designs and have the real SSK out and a 60% Board. :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

06 Feb 2015, 19:52

I don't think even Unicomp claimed they were working on bringing back Model F. That's just community wishful thinking.

Not to be mistaken with Unicomp's actual plans for a modern SSK. That's corporate wishful thinking. Whole different thing.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 20:10

Muirium wrote: I don't think even Unicomp claimed they were working on bringing back Model F. That's just community wishful thinking.

Not to be mistaken with Unicomp's actual plans for a modern SSK. That's corporate wishful thinking. Whole different thing.
Oh Yeah, thats REALLY wishful thinking on my part. Model F's would cost probably much more to manufacture due to all of the metal involved, and i'm guessing they don't really feel that would be a good business move because they would have to price them really high in order to make any profit.

But this http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/SpacesaverM/UB4ZPHA

I don't get it. Thats not a spacesaver. I guess it saves some space due to having a smaller frame, but I don't see how that even relates to the real IBM spacesaver. The entire point is to offer a better mouse position by being tenkeyless.

idollar
i$

06 Feb 2015, 20:17

Redmaus wrote: The entire point is to offer a better mouse position by being tenkeyless.
Not only. Being the keyboard smaller but still heavy enough the feeling is different from a normal M. Sounds also different. It is not just a shorter M. The first time that I used one I was really surprised by the differences.

Anyhow ... have we decided already if we "heavy-metal" our Fs or we keep them "classical" ? ;)

Touch_It

06 Feb 2015, 20:41

I don't have much of value to add other than full metal cases are amazing and would love to have one for a 122. If somehow one could be fabricated at a reasonable cost in quantity I would buy one. Then I would be forced to buy a f122.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 23:10

Touch_It wrote: I don't have much of value to add other than full metal cases are amazing and would love to have one for a 122. If somehow one could be fabricated at a reasonable cost in quantity I would buy one. Then I would be forced to buy a f122.
Yeah they really would be a metal aircraft carrier.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 23:12

idollar wrote:
Redmaus wrote: The entire point is to offer a better mouse position by being tenkeyless.
Not only. Being the keyboard smaller but still heavy enough the feeling is different from a normal M. Sounds also different. It is not just a shorter M. The first time that I used one I was really surprised by the differences.

Anyhow ... have we decided already if we "heavy-metal" our Fs or we keep them "classical" ? ;)
If everbody joined in and decided to do it for a reasonable price I would get one. :mrgreen:

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 23:14

Muirium wrote: Or a Kishsaver. A grand ought to even get you one at Ellipse price!
What is an "Ellipse Price?" really expensive? Or really cheap :-|

Muirium
µ

06 Feb 2015, 23:27

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Feb 2015, 23:41

Yeah I saw that. Pretty steep, but one did sell on ebay recently for 820$

It is a really great keyboard, I never use the numpad really so it does look pretty nice to me.

Too bad the case is still plastic :cry:

joc

07 Feb 2015, 00:00

I would also be interested in a metal case (or two) for a 122-key Model F. Maybe a sign-up sheet should be created to gauge interest.

One thing to consider is that the case is made of two plastic pieces and plastic feet. Would the smaller plastic piece and plastic feet also be fabricated?

idollar
i$

07 Feb 2015, 00:03

I would not justify the price of this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/IBM-104-key-Mode ... true&rt=nc
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG (207.77 KiB) Viewed 6171 times
But the caps can not be compared, nor the missing key (I know that it could be put back but it is such a painful view). And finally the hanging cable ...
DSC_5651.jpg
DSC_5651.jpg (283.65 KiB) Viewed 6171 times
DSC_5652.jpg
DSC_5652.jpg (268.33 KiB) Viewed 6171 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Feb 2015, 01:04

idollar wrote: I would not justify the price of this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/IBM-104-key-Mode ... true&rt=nc
$_57.JPG
But the caps can not be compared, nor the missing key (I know that it could be put back but it is such a painful view). And finally the hanging cable ...
DSC_5651.jpg
DSC_5652.jpg
Yea I definitely agree that the way he did the arrow keys was VERY visually unappealing. If he actually wants a sale I would expect him to Put the other key back.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Feb 2015, 01:06

joc wrote: I would also be interested in a metal case (or two) for a 122-key Model F. Maybe a sign-up sheet should be created to gauge interest.

One thing to consider is that the case is made of two plastic pieces and plastic feet. Would the smaller plastic piece and plastic feet also be fabricated?
Hmm... I am not sure what we could do with the feet but making new ones and applying them to the metal base shouldn't be too hard.

Ellipse

07 Feb 2015, 01:26

Yep if the buyer wants me to put the extra cursor key back or do other key mods, I will, no extra charge. But bending and unbending the metal tabs unnecessarily to do so beforehand could cause them to wear out, so I won't risk opening it a second time before a buyer asks me to.

That USB cable is strain relieved (tied to a metal post on the inside) so a tug should not wreak havoc. Agreed it could have been modded in other ways, but it is all fully reversible :)

Are there any expert modders here who have a more professional idea for the cable? I'd probably need a piece of black or white rubber and I could make a hole in it for the USB connector to fit through. Or I could put back the pin connector there and try to route the cable near one of the large legs on the bottom - that may look even better if the USB cable were off to the left or right side.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Feb 2015, 01:57

Ellipse, whats your daily driver?

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Feb 2015, 02:15

Ellipse wrote:
Are there any expert modders here who have a more professional idea for the cable?
For an internal Teensy in an F-122?

The metal clip for strain relief works great!

You just have to find a mini-USB plug that is svelte enough to fit through the existing opening, or they can easily be whittled down a bit. I have found plenty that were small enough

Ellipse

07 Feb 2015, 02:33

Red, out of all my rare IBM keyboards my daily driver is a relatively common F122 with primarily single piece key caps - part 6110344 from mid-84. The 85's and later are IMO slightly less crisp, or maybe my two from 84 are just in unusually good condition.

It was probably not used much in the decades before it went to me, given how clean and great the insides and outsides are, and it has a much crisper/clickier sound than even other F122s in my collection. Though my F77 is even crisper and clickier, I am used to the separate keys on the F122.

F122s are the one keyboard type from my collection I'd rarely be inclined to sell :)

Photos here: http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-m ... t9842.html

And fohat regarding your question, I was asking advice for that Unsaver up for sale that people were posting photos of. I used the metal clip for strain relief and followed your helpful guide for the above F122 and all my other F122s!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Feb 2015, 02:49

Ellipse wrote: Red, out of all my rare IBM keyboards my daily driver is a relatively common F122 with primarily single piece key caps - part 6110344 from mid-84. The 85's and later are IMO slightly less crisp, or maybe my two from 84 are just in unusually good condition.

It was probably not used much in the decades before it went to me, given how clean and great the insides and outsides are, and it has a much crisper/clickier sound than even other F122s in my collection. Though my F77 is even crisper and clickier, I am used to the separate keys on the F122.

F122s are the one keyboard type from my collection I'd rarely be inclined to sell :)

Photos here: http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-m ... t9842.html

And fohat regarding your question, I was asking advice for that Unsaver up for sale that people were posting photos of. I used the metal clip for strain relief and followed your helpful guide for the above F122 and all my other F122s!
Noooo! Mine is from 85 :( Makes me cri :cry:

How much crispier exactly?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Feb 2015, 02:52

Oh and the part number is 1435068. Is mine INFERIOR? Do I need to scrap mine immediately and get the supreme crispiness?

Ellipse

07 Feb 2015, 03:09

Ha no, not that much of a difference. Only when you are used to one is it noticeable. It may equally have to do with how little used it was - the others were much more used so that may have something to do with it.

Return to “Keyboards”