NovaTouch TKL survey! We want you!! (and you a NovaTouch TKL :D?)!

RoastPotatoes

23 Feb 2015, 18:56

I think I managed to write an ok answer.

burn1nsun

23 Feb 2015, 19:11

Oh man I love CM Storm products, they are so solid and professional looking, but I don't like cherry switches, I have been looking for a Topre board for so long now, I can't really make up my mind on which one I want to get, I prefer a TKL or 60% since I've always had a 100% layout :)

Ascaii
The Beard

23 Feb 2015, 19:53

Submitted. Gimme dat Keyboard!

the1onewolf

24 Feb 2015, 03:54

jsoltren wrote: Hello Bram - Survey complete. I ended up returning my Novatouch TKL. I wish there were a 55g version available. I'm sad that NKRO was Windows only - why is that and can it change? The keyboard would just crash/hang/lock sometimes and often not work as early boot for BIOS editing and/or bootloader key input (through a KVM).

I've written about it extensively here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63 ... msg1615267

I'm located in the US and would be happy to review new products.
Wow, I didn't expect to get taken to my thread hahaha :D

Anyways, like the person before me and Muirium I too must shamelessly plug my cringe-worthy non-reviews.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63902.0
http://deskthority.net/review-f45/coole ... t8902.html

Actually, do yourself a favor and don't read that.

On a more serious note, it's really interesting how different the Novatouch looks compared to this image above (when it was teased I think almost 2 years ago now).

Speaking of which I'm still waiting on that mouse CM!
You can't dangle that IME3 like shape device in front of me and then never release it in the states.
I've been waiting 2 years now.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

24 Feb 2015, 10:21

SL89 wrote: Done!

Also they always call it the NovaTouch TKL, hopefully I will see a fullsize NovaTouch some day.
Perhaps....... Some day ......

But for now thanks for participating :mrgreen:

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

24 Feb 2015, 10:23

the1onewolf wrote:
jsoltren wrote: Hello Bram - Survey complete. I ended up returning my Novatouch TKL. I wish there were a 55g version available. I'm sad that NKRO was Windows only - why is that and can it change? The keyboard would just crash/hang/lock sometimes and often not work as early boot for BIOS editing and/or bootloader key input (through a KVM).

I've written about it extensively here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63 ... msg1615267

I'm located in the US and would be happy to review new products.
Wow, I didn't expect to get taken to my thread hahaha :D

Anyways, like the person before me and Muirium I too must shamelessly plug my cringe-worthy non-reviews.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63902.0
http://deskthority.net/review-f45/coole ... t8902.html

Actually, do yourself a favor and don't read that.

On a more serious note, it's really interesting how different the Novatouch looks compared to this image above (when it was teased I think almost 2 years ago now).

Speaking of which I'm still waiting on that mouse CM!
You can't dangle that IME3 like shape device in front of me and then never release it in the states.
I've been waiting 2 years now.
On retards to that mouse it actually is launched already! Please have a search for our CM Storm Mizar and thats the one you are looking at in that picture right there!

zts

24 Feb 2015, 11:01

I think the best thing about NovaTouch is that CM took a risk and made an effort to make Topre switches compatible with Cherry MX caps. NovaTouch tells us more about the company behind it than about the product itself. A very admirable/brave CM move that resulted in a very good product. There's lot to like about NovaTouch, but unfortunately the typical great Topre *feel* is not there yet -- maybe about 50-60% at its current state and hopefully 100% in the next version. I'd say ... a solid first effort, lots of guts but maybe more time is needed to work out some issues.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

24 Feb 2015, 15:54

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2015, 15:58

NovaTouch, the Next Generation: The Thockening!

RoastPotatoes

24 Feb 2015, 16:22

zts wrote: I think the best thing about NovaTouch is that CM took a risk and made an effort to make Topre switches compatible with Cherry MX caps. NovaTouch tells us more about the company behind it than about the product itself. A very admirable/brave CM move that resulted in a very good product. There's lot to like about NovaTouch, but unfortunately the typical great Topre *feel* is not there yet -- maybe about 50-60% at its current state and hopefully 100% in the next version. I'd say ... a solid first effort, lots of guts but maybe more time is needed to work out some issues.
I think this is a very good point. It was quite a bold move to make a Topre board of any kind. But at least they tackled the biggest problem with any Topre board. By that I mean the getting key caps problem. It was a good attempt to give Topre boards a wider appeal. When you compare CM to Unicomp for example. It is incredible that they attempted something like that. The reason I mention Unicomp is they are possible the least daring company. All they have to do is have a go at creating a Unicomp ssk. But I don't want to be too hard on Unicomp if they really are having problems creating the ssk.
In conclusion good job CM

Touch_It

24 Feb 2015, 16:57

Participated. I would like to feel the cup rubber goodness everyone keeps rambling on about. I have my doubts it can live up to buckling spring awesomeness. Let me win so I can be a believer. :D

the1onewolf

24 Feb 2015, 22:45

CM Bram wrote:
the1onewolf wrote:
jsoltren wrote: On retards to that mouse it actually is launched already! Please have a search for our CM Storm Mizar and thats the one you are looking at in that picture right there!
Thanks for calling me a retard Bram :lol:

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 Feb 2015, 00:08

zts wrote: I think the best thing about NovaTouch is that CM took a risk and made an effort to make Topre switches compatible with Cherry MX caps. NovaTouch tells us more about the company behind it than about the product itself. A very admirable/brave CM move that resulted in a very good product. There's lot to like about NovaTouch, but unfortunately the typical great Topre *feel* is not there yet -- maybe about 50-60% at its current state and hopefully 100% in the next version. I'd say ... a solid first effort, lots of guts but maybe more time is needed to work out some issues.
This is very true. I've read people are harvesting the sliders and using them on other boards. I wonder if it would work on my Realforce and how it would affect its feeling.

I also wonder: if you take out the sliders from the Novatouch would you be able to use regular Topre keycaps? Would it have the standard Topre feeling?

Belfong

25 Feb 2015, 00:39

Stabilized wrote:Yeah but the question is phrased as such:
"2. Do you know about the difference between a Topre Switch and a Hybrid Capacitive Switch"

There is no difference in the mechanism, only the slider on top. Maybe they should have asked: do you know what differs on the Novatouch keyboard to all other Topre keyboards?
Yeah.. When I saw that question, it made me pause. Is this a new product with different switch?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Feb 2015, 01:16

Will there only be one winner? If not, how many?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

25 Feb 2015, 09:45

Redmaus wrote: Will there only be one winner? If not, how many?
One winner will be picked by next monday by our team here in EU office and will be contacted to receive his NovaTouch TKL + extra key cap set! :)

vinzbe

25 Feb 2015, 10:52

Spikebolt wrote: I also wonder: if you take out the sliders from the Novatouch would you be able to use regular Topre keycaps? Would it have the standard Topre feeling?
Why would you buy a Novatouch and try to make it wear Topre keycaps?

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

25 Feb 2015, 11:06

vinzbe wrote:
Spikebolt wrote: I also wonder: if you take out the sliders from the Novatouch would you be able to use regular Topre keycaps? Would it have the standard Topre feeling?
Why would you buy a Novatouch and try to make it wear Topre keycaps?
For science? I'd like to try their sliders on other keyboards and see how it feels. Imagine my Realforce+Sliders feels the same and the Novatouch-Sliders feels like the Realforce. Huge profit!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Feb 2015, 12:39

CM Bram wrote:
One winner will be picked by next monday by our team here in EU office and will be contacted to receive his NovaTouch TKL + extra key cap set! :)
Oh okay. Thank you for telling me! Will there be a winner in the united states and a winner in the EU?

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 12:40

Wishful thinking!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

25 Feb 2015, 13:45

Redmaus wrote:
CM Bram wrote:
Oh okay. Thank you for telling me! Will there be a winner in the united states and a winner in the EU?
It was a EU innitiative but the contest is open globally :)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Feb 2015, 13:55

Redmaus wrote:

Ah okay. You should give a free novatouch to everyone in this thread to show how nice you are. :mrgreen:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

25 Feb 2015, 14:46

Well, I never won a give away, but I'm in. That would be a nice first win!

Ace
§

26 Feb 2015, 06:37

I remember looking at this keyboard a while back ( and even trying it out for a few minutes). This was before I was on DT or had ever tried a pure blood Topre. And one thing that should be noted about Topres of any kind is that they initially suck. A lot.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I can give little to no opinions on how this compares to a pure-blood Topre board. However, I loved everything else about it. My one most requested feature for this is to release a 30g version. Please. I NEED the lighter switches.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

26 Feb 2015, 06:41

AbuBakr Akram wrote: I remember looking at this keyboard a while back ( and even trying it out for a few minutes). This was before I was on DT or had ever tried a pure blood Topre. And one thing that should be noted about Topres of any kind is that they initially suck. A lot.
I hear a lot of people say that topre feels just like rubber dome except nicer.

Ace
§

26 Feb 2015, 07:45

I've never had the audacity to say this on DT before, but I actually really like Rubber Domes. Really! There are certain keyboard on which the press feels exceptionally premium! Granted, those boards are premium boards (as far as non-mechanical goes, anyway).

But despite this fact, Topre did initially suck. It felt like some strange hybrid that shouldn't exist. Still though, as I said, I now love Topres, and this is one of my favorites on the market. I may even buy one and perform a 30g dome transplant (although that would get expensive as I'd have to import a donor board from Japan. Sigh....................).

But apart from me, I really do feel the next step for this is more weight options. Many here have already expressed their desire for heavier weights. What's wrong with me expressing my desire for lighter ones?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

26 Feb 2015, 10:46

Redmaus wrote:
Redmaus wrote:

Ah okay. You should give a free novatouch to everyone in this thread to show how nice you are. :mrgreen:
I'm nice but that would be really pushing it, lol :mrgreen: ... But we wont forget about the DT community, dont worry :)

Findecanor

26 Feb 2015, 12:33

vinzbe wrote: Why would you buy a Novatouch and try to make it wear Topre keycaps?
I think that the Topre Realforce's keycaps are the best on any production keyboard in the last ten years.
The legends look good. They are made from mid-thickness PBT with grainy texture and the keys on the Shift row are slanted more than the OEM profile.

On the Novatouch, the first thing you want to do when you see it is to replace the keycaps. Some of the legends are weirdly abbreviated and/or badly laid out. That looks cheap, and you know they are of thin ABS.

Anyway, the bottom row is different on the Realforce and Novatouch.
If Signature Plastics made DCS sets in PBT then those would be a lot like the Realforce caps and be low on the keyboard while not requiring O-rings. That is what I am hoping for.

macmakkara

26 Feb 2015, 16:31

:D i would love Novatouch for my granite set :P My faceU hasn´t gone forward but have granite set here waiting for board!

eldorange

27 Feb 2015, 09:11

better if they have a winner per continent...nice tempting short survey though...

Return to “Keyboards”