Passing on what u have taught me :-)

elecplus

30 Dec 2014, 00:21

So a teenager just came into the shop, wanting a gaming keyboard. He said clicky, mechanical, backlit, wants multimedia controls on the keyboard also.

So I let him type on a Razor, blue Cherries. Then we tried some Model Ms, the space invader clicky black, space invader clicky white, space invader linear white, NEC blue ovals, and Alps white.

The Razor was OK, but he does not like the layout. The Model M was a definite no. His 2 favorites are the NEC blue ovals, and the clicky black space invaders. After trying those, he didn't even want the Cherry blues!

Unfortunately, I have never seen NEC blue ovals in backlit with multimedia keys, not the space invaders. Did they ever make such things?

JBert

30 Dec 2014, 00:31

While you can never say never, I'm going to guess that a keyboard with such NEC switches and features doesn't exist.

However... If the keyboard is PS/2, you could still hook up a Soarer Converter which translates PS/2 to USB and can alter some of the keys in the process. It wouldn't give you backlighting (I would seriously recommend to learn to touch-type, but it's a hard sell) but at least the keys do what you want.

elecplus

30 Dec 2014, 00:37

He does touch type, he just wants the back lighting for the cool effect.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Dec 2014, 00:38

Elecplus reminds me of a famous vintage keyboard dealer of yesteryear called Scary Garcia. Many switch variants pass through her business. I once asked Scary Garcia what was his favourite switch. Turned out to be black Space Invaders.

So my question to Cindy is:

What is your favourite switch?

elecplus

30 Dec 2014, 00:49

Believe it or not, my favorite keyboard so far is the one Daniel Beardsmore calls rare, the one like a rubber dome, but the rubber is inverted in the base of the cap. Not mushy, good feel to it, good layout. I will take a pic sometime.

I like the black space invaders too, but the layout is not what I like. I don't like big enter keys, and I don't like the \ on the top row,

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Dec 2014, 00:58

elecplus wrote: Unfortunately, I have never seen NEC blue ovals in backlit with multimedia keys, not the space invaders. Did they ever make such things?
It's safe to say "no" for any switch in the world except Cherry MX and Alps clones. Mini Mitsumis were still around post 1998, but only as the power button on a Strong Man-made Filco keyboard, and for all I know that was old stock, especially given how messed up Strong Man were. SMK 2nd gen was still around in 1997; I don't have a final date, but from the Monterey K110, it can't exceed around 2001, which is about when that came to an end.

The NEC blue ovals seem to have died out a long time ago. Space invaders didn't make it out of the 90s either so far as I know. Very little ever left the 20th century, with Cherry MX, Cherry ML, buckling spring and various Alps clones being the chief exceptions.

When you're looking for a 21st century keyboard, your options for switches are just really limited.

Incidentally webwit, what's the IC date on your K110? It will give us the first data point for Monterey's use of SMK switches.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Dec 2014, 01:08

Not sure if there's a date on there but I'll check when I return from holiday.

Muirium
µ

30 Dec 2014, 01:38

Cool lights or cool switches. You gotta choose.

The harder choice is cool caps or cool switches. That's why I'm always keen on things with MX compatibility, like those miniature Mitsumis; which arrived at my brother's today…

Hypersphere

30 Dec 2014, 01:51

Cherry mx: Bah! Humbug! A scourge! But mere mx compatibility with something better than a Cherry mx switch underneath -- something to consider.

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Dec 2014, 01:55

webwit wrote: Not sure if there's a date on there but I'll check when I return from holiday.
Appears to say 9119, i.e. made in the very first year of production.

If you still have the original of that photo, the date will be perfectly readable.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Dec 2014, 02:15

C30031AE
[IC] NTKB-1
Ⓜ© Intel 1980

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Dec 2014, 02:48

Added to [wiki]Keyboards and switches by year[/wiki]. That page needs more love and attention.

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Dec 2014, 15:41

elecplus wrote:
I like the black space invaders too, but the layout is not what I like. I don't like big enter keys, and I don't like the \ on the top row,
Slightly off-topic, I have a wonderful clicky black Hi-Tek keyboard in true ANSI but it has a 4P4C connector and although I think I cabled it right (with Dorkvader's help, thanks) even Soarer's WYSE Converter (including hid_listen) will not pick it up.

Does anybody here have one of these, and/or know how to get it working?

Thanks!

Return to “Keyboards”