Rapoo KX

HzFaq

14 Jan 2014, 10:14

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, looks...interesting. Dual mode Wireless, backlit, 60%(ish) with some added confusion over which switches it uses...The video below shows the fake Cherry switches which look to be the same ones as are on the V7 from a few years ago, but the official page mentions Cherry blacks. I can't find anywhere selling them and with limited work internet can't find a release date, but looks like one to keep an eye on for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RgT8GdxTXQ
http://www.rapoo.com/ProductShow.aspx?P ... l3PJuVw%3d

Topre Enthusiast

14 Jan 2014, 10:22

I wonder if they are the same switches that Thermaltake have supposedly come up with or a different imitation altogether?
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34814/kit ... index.html

scottc

14 Jan 2014, 10:23

Ooh, interesting. Their switch diagrams and the video preview show yellow switches like before, which were supposed to be sort of like MX blacks. The interesting part for me is the 5U spacebar!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jan 2014, 10:27

what a funny little keyboard. maybe for a media center...

adhoc

14 Jan 2014, 10:57

I wonder what material the caps are made from...I'd say probably ABS? Liking the looks, looks kind of sleek. Not exactly something that would fit in my room, but I can definitely see people liking it.

Findecanor

14 Jan 2014, 12:00

You can see "PG1511" on the switches in the video here, which tells us that these are Kaihua PG1511 series.

It is nice to see space bar profile for the bottom row modifiers.. but for Up-arrow? ...
I noticed also that the concave keys are slightly slanted forwards.
BTW, backlight without light bleeding in-between keys! :)

mtl

14 Jan 2014, 12:37

Interesting. Is this the first backlit wireless MX keyboard?

Grond

14 Jan 2014, 14:10

Not bad, but I don't get the point of the silly touch f-row with "tactile feedback vibration" (?). A standard F-row would suit me better. Also: no bluetooth.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2014, 14:53

Hopefully someone will write up a review of one of these when they're out, because I'd to hear about the quality of the cloned switches, the interesting caps, and to see just how thick this thing actually is.

It's not for me, but there's enough new stuff in it to be worth looking into.

scottc

14 Jan 2014, 14:58

I'm sure they will hold their "upstanding" reputation of "quality"...

:P

Grond

14 Jan 2014, 15:26

Anyway I'm glad more wireless mechanical keyboard are coming out, even though I still haven't found a perfect one for me – which would be: a standard Filco Tenkeyless with bluetooth.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2014, 15:45

Yeah, true promise lies in the potential Filco MJ3 and HHKB Pro 3. Make 'em Bluetooth, guys. The (wireless keyboarding) world depends on it!

zts

23 Mar 2015, 23:33

The selling point of this keyboard is its 5G wireless and the small form factor (the size is almost identical to Keycool Mini 84 or Noppoo Choc Mini 84).

Nice things:
- 5G wireless (nano-size receiver)
- rechargeable lithium battery
- dual wireless/wired operation (the included micro usb charges the battery and you can work/play as wired)
- backlit (2 levels) for those who love backlight
- key lettering nicely visible without backlight
- small, convenient form factor

Unproven claims (as listed on Amazon):
- "Waterproof:Yes" -- personally, I don't believe it and wouldn't try it either
- "Lifecycle:60 Million Key-press" and a few lines down "Key Lifecycle:10 Million Key-press" and "Yellow mechanical key switches which can handle 60 million operations" -- which one is it? I think 20-30 mil is probably more realistic estimate
- "Material:Stainless Brushed" or "Fashionable and popular stainless steel panel" -- really not sure, but most people experience the top frame as aluminum and the rest of the keyboard case is plastic

Neutral:
- vibration feedback in the F row (touch screen)
- it takes some adjusting to the keys spacing or their shape
- an average built in terms of quality
- "Original Factory MX Yellow Switches" -- yellow Kailh switches

Negative:
- top frame with its cutouts for each key obstructs easily switching keycaps
- at least to me the aluminum (ok, stainless steel) top frame makes the keyboard look cheaper
- factory keycaps shape
- to replace keys, you need to remove the top frame (personally, I'd like to cut off everything from the center of the panel except the outside frame and frame for the touch panel)

Anyways, the most positive thing I can say about this keyboard is that maybe it will move others in the mechanical keyboard industry to start including wireless or Bluetooth. Rapoo KX is an average keyboard that's not particularly suited either for gaming or for extended typing, but it pushes some nice features (and all under US $90) that big companies must notice.

Yelow Kailh:
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow1.jpeg
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow1.jpeg (129.9 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
Wireless ON/OFF, micro USB port for charging or wired connection:
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow2.jpeg
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow2.jpeg (172.97 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
Top metal frame:
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow3.jpeg
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow3.jpeg (471.29 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
With metal panel removed:
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow5.jpeg
Rapoo_mini_KailhYellow5.jpeg (261.81 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
Lights on (lower level of the 2) -- you can notice a slight imperfection by the backlight protruding between N and M:
RapooKX_6.jpeg
RapooKX_6.jpeg (223.58 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
Lights off -- key lettering nicely visible:
RapooKX_7.jpeg
RapooKX_7.jpeg (222.71 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
Edit: Note -- I haven't seen any "PG1511" markings on the switches (as in some photos posted on other sites; these are clearly marked "Kailh".

Findecanor

24 Mar 2015, 10:34

Good review and pictures! Is the rectangular thing in the back the receiver?

You could test the top for steel with a magnet.
"5G Receiver".. :facepalm:

Stabilized

24 Mar 2015, 11:47

Findecanor wrote: Good review and pictures! Is the rectangular thing in the back the receiver?
I think it is, if you're referring to this:
It's one of those micro receivers (like Logitech's unifying receiver), quite cool that the keyboard comes with a storage cubby for it.

Great review; it's a shame about the layout (shift is in the wrong place), the flat keycaps (trying to emulate a chicklet keyboard?), and the crappy key switches. Really nice concept though, just with that it was implemented a bit better.

HzFaq

24 Mar 2015, 11:55

Wow, nice little review there, thanks. It's cool to finally see one in the wild, I'd forgotten about this board to be honest, now that I'm looking for something for a little media centre I'm setting up I might look into picking one up.

And yeah, that right shift would drive me up the wall...

Return to “Keyboards”