RJ11 to PS/2 or USB Adapter for Dolch PAC 64 Keyboard

Hypersphere

03 Aug 2013, 01:25

I will be receiving a vintage Dolch PAC 64 computer and keyboard next week, and rather than simply harvesting the Dolch keycaps, I am interested in the possibility of using the keyboard with a modern computer. The problem is, it has a RJ11-type connector, and there do not seem to be off-the-shelf adapters or converters available. If anyone knows of off-the-shelf solutions, I would be glad to hear of them. Otherwise, if you have good step-by-step instructions, preferably with clear illustrations, this would be helpful as well. I would prefer solutions that keep the RJ11-type connector intact so that the keyboard could be used with the Dolch computer and the adapter would be used when the Dolch keyboard is used with a contemporary computer. However, if the best way to go is to solder a new cable directly to the keyboard PCB, I would like to look at those solutions as well.

I have also posted on GH, where I found some previous solutions emphasizing direct soldering to the PCB, but I thought I would post again to see if there might be new approaches to this problem.

Thanks.

Muirium
µ

03 Aug 2013, 11:57

Hey RJ, welcome to the collectors club! That's the spirit! Much better to adapt the classics than scavenge them for their tasteful caps. 

I've a Wyse ASCII keyboard with an RJ10 jack on it I'd like to similarly adapt if possible;

And a rather dashing keyboard with one of these:
I'm about to post some pics of that one now several honourable gurus have helped me identify what it actually is! Hint: no ordinary switches here. 

These diagrams are from kbdbabel's classic connector list:
http://kbdbabel.org/conn/index.html

That's the best thing about classic keyboards: much more than any other part of a computer, they are timeless. There's no fundamental barrier between them and the modern world. Not when we have Teensies and a global network of crafty minds!

Hypersphere

03 Aug 2013, 17:03

Hi again, Mu. Thanks for the pin-out for an RJ10. I do recall seeing a pin-out for an RJ11 that I think was specific to the Dolch PAC 64, so it appears that it is eminently possible to make an RJ11 --> PS/2 adapter, and PS/2 --> USB adapters, both active and passive, are readily available.

This is making me feel a bit like a character in a post-apocalyptic SF novel, cobbling together bits and pieces of salvaged old technology in order to survive.

Muirium
µ

03 Aug 2013, 17:09

Pinouts are only part of the story. The signals need to be right too. XT and AT are a fine example of that: same four pins but a different protocol. (Fortunately Soarer's converter speaks them both.)

I dare say your solution will involve an RJ11 socket and a Teensy (might as well go straight to USB), but the trick is in finding someone who's done the hard part first: programming the thing! Once you've got the firmware file, it's total child's play.

Findecanor

03 Aug 2013, 22:24

RJ11 is a phone standard for connector and signals. The correct name for the connector is 4P4C. ;)

You don't need to replace the controller with a Teensy. The Dolch keyboard's existing controller should have a 4P4C socket soldered to the circuit board, and talk the AT protocol (which is the same as the PS/2 protocol). So, what you need is a new PS/2 cable with a 4P4C plug crimped to the end. The pins are GND, +5V, kb data, kb clock (in order on the keyboard's side). (It's in the Wiki, people! ;) )
I crimped my cable using a flat screwdriver. There has been an illustration posted, but I don't have it right now as I'm posting from Eindhoven and not from my home computer.

Be careful when you close the case again: The screws have different lengths. Short screws in in the front and long screws in the back.
I am also using the Dolch keyboard with just a new cable and a PS/2-USB "active" adapter/converter. (It will not work with a passive adapter!)
I much prefer the flat keyboard to the inclined Cherry G80-1800.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2013, 02:18

Aha! I wish all of my weird old connectors were just AT in disguise…

dorkvader

04 Aug 2013, 03:44

I am still going to verify, but I strongly suspect the detachable cable on an olivetti RD that I have has the same pinout AND a PS2 on one end already. I know I'd be able to use it for something!

Hypersphere

04 Aug 2013, 17:40

Findecanor, thanks for the additional comments. Glad that things are not as complicated as initially feared.

Return to “Keyboards”