The Oracle Answers

Silma

04 Feb 2013, 10:57

madith wrote:Hi everyone !

I'm new here and I need some advice..

What would you choose ?

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (mx red, with PS/2 interface) or CM Storm QuickFire PRO (mx red, with usb only)??

Thx for help
madith
Take the QuickfirePro, usb will last longer.
mx red is outstanding.
Be warned that the Quickfire Pro is not backlit on all keys. I intended to use it for work as well as gaming but I am extremely disappointed that there is no full keyboard backlighting mode. Otherwise it is probably the best keyboard I ever had.

deebee

04 Feb 2013, 17:12

Hi all!

I'm looking for a new keyboard and I'd like you to help me. I type a lot (translating) so I'm looking for something that's comfortable and fingertips-friendly but at the same time I'd also like it to be as silent as possible (I have other people in the room). Also, I'd prefer a full-layout keyboard, not some compact version. I'm not sure, however, which brand or which switches would serve best for this purpose.

Any help and tips would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Icarium

05 Feb 2013, 22:19

Well, if you want it to be light and quiet you will have to get MX REDS or MX BROWNS. Or the new quiet Matias switch.
I like both reds and browns. Some prefer the browns because of the tactile feedback, others just think it feels scratchy and prefer the reds. If you want specific sources for buying you will have to tell us where you are. ;)

Deafery Jahmer

07 Feb 2013, 13:24

Hey guys. pretty much a noob here at deskthority. Mostly lerking until today i really want a new keyboard because i hate my macbook one. plus its crapping out. I make music and use keyboard shortcuts mainly. most of my typing is talking to people writing emails and the usual stuff although i want a really sensitive keyboard (noise makes no difference at all). so as not to bore you here are myy requirements:
1. must have blues.
2. preferably the size of a joker.
3. thinner keys (smaller).
4. ***WIRELESS*** for the love of jesus that is lord!
5. backlit if possible.
6. and again the size of a joker.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for bearing with me and i hope someone can help me!

rodtang

07 Feb 2013, 16:01

Deafery Jahmer wrote:Hey guys. pretty much a noob here at deskthority. Mostly lerking until today i really want a new keyboard because i hate my macbook one. plus its crapping out. I make music and use keyboard shortcuts mainly. most of my typing is talking to people writing emails and the usual stuff although i want a really sensitive keyboard (noise makes no difference at all). so as not to bore you here are myy requirements:
1. must have blues.
5. backlit if possible.

I'll assume you're talking about Poker and not joker. :roll:
KBT Pure would be your best option, it is the size of a poker and it is backlit but it is not wireless.

Deafery Jahmer

08 Feb 2013, 01:20

rodtang wrote:
Deafery Jahmer wrote:Hey guys. pretty much a noob here at deskthority. Mostly lerking until today i really want a new keyboard because i hate my macbook one. plus its crapping out. I make music and use keyboard shortcuts mainly. most of my typing is talking to people writing emails and the usual stuff although i want a really sensitive keyboard (noise makes no difference at all). so as not to bore you here are myy requirements:
1. must have blues.
5. backlit if possible.

I'll assume you're talking about Poker and not joker. :roll:
KBT Pure would be your best option, it is the size of a poker and it is backlit but it is not wireless.
ahhh yes sorry for the typo. uhhm i did like that one too. does anyone know if vortex does custom orders i asked on their facebook page but no response yet. and does anyone know where to get fully custom keys? i was thinking of a poker that would be like this if you could imagine it (MOST BALLIN keyboard ever IMO):
Aluminum case (red), one red aluminum icon keycap for the esc key, white LED backlighting, blue cherry mx switches, white keys for only the letters with clear x's where the letters would be printed for backlighting, lavender WASD keys with clear x's where the letters would be printed for backlighting, number keys would be black with clear markings for backlighting using usual markings, keys that are anything but the letters, numbers, and esc key would be black with clear crosshairs instead of the usual markings for backlighting, and wireless via bluetooth adapter or anything else.

so if anyone knows where i can get special orders or just like find all these things and build myself would be GREATLY appreciated. i've been drooling over this idea for a week now and MUST HAVE :lol:

viisual

19 Feb 2013, 16:26

Oh Keyboard Oracle,

I'm looking for a new keyboard to pair up with my HTPC. Previous advice you have given me turned out to be flawless, and I was hoping for more of your favor!

Requirements:
- Not MX Cherry Brown
- Hopefully Backlit / Illuminated
- Hopefully Wireless
- Optionally US ANSI
- Optionally Tenkeyless

Scheider

19 Feb 2013, 20:27

What keyboard will suit my requirements?
-PCB mounted switches
-Cherry MX blacks/reds
-Tenkeyless (or maybe even space saver like without function buttons and without Ps-Pg Dn)
-Solid built
-No LEDs under every button
-US ANSI

windseeker242

04 Mar 2013, 21:47

Oh Oracle! Thou shalt assist me, for I have a corundum!

I am looking for a gaming keyboard where I can customize the lighting of individual keys.

For example. I am playing a game and the keys required are: Shift, Ctrl, Spacebar, Enter, T, C, V.

I am looking for something that will let me illuminate these keys and these keys only for that game but also be able to change it back to fully lit or w/e

Thanks!

HybridCore

11 Mar 2013, 20:31

windseeker242 wrote:Oh Oracle! Thou shalt assist me, for I have a corundum!

I am looking for a gaming keyboard where I can customize the lighting of individual keys.

For example. I am playing a game and the keys required are: Shift, Ctrl, Spacebar, Enter, T, C, V.

I am looking for something that will let me illuminate these keys and these keys only for that game but also be able to change it back to fully lit or w/e

Thanks!
I read your first lines too quickly and read condom instead of corundum. *facepalm*

If I remember correctly, you might be able to do that with the Ducky Shine (don't take my word for it).

typhson

18 Apr 2013, 00:43

Dear Oracle,

I'd like to find a keyboard with following features:
• 40% (or Choc Mini Style)
• ISO-Layout or ANSI-Enter + Iso Shift
• Red's or Browns
• Backplate

• Backlight would be nice but is not necessary.

Ai, I forgott a point behind ‘necessary’ (fixed now) and a ‘Thank You’ in advance :)
Last edited by typhson on 18 Apr 2013, 01:30, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2013, 00:48

HybridCore wrote:
windseeker242 wrote:Oh Oracle! Thou shalt assist me, for I have a corundum!

Thanks!
I read your first lines too quickly and read condom instead of corundum. *facepalm*

If I remember correctly, you might be able to do that with the Ducky Shine (don't take my word for it).
Pretty sure the Shine 2 can store a few custom light programs, and switch between them and the usual modes at will.

Not sure what to do about your corundum conundrum though.
Last edited by Muirium on 18 Apr 2013, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

18 Apr 2013, 00:54

Scheider wrote:What keyboard will suit my requirements?
-PCB mounted switches
-Cherry MX blacks/reds
-Tenkeyless (or maybe even space saver like without function buttons and without Ps-Pg Dn)
-Solid built
-No LEDs under every button
-US ANSI
Sounds like a Poker. Certainly meets the size challenge, ANSI and switch criteria. This way.

chromiumstars

28 Apr 2013, 18:26

Hello, Wise Oracle,

I'm looking for my first mechanical keyboard! :)

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... 3-570.html I uh, already bought the cmyk modifiers. They were shiny. I had to have them. My phone is cyan and my surface has a magenta touch cover. :lol:

So...I'm looking for something that will play nice with those super-awesome keycaps, and the following:
- MX Blues
- with a number pad, I got way too used to having one
- 150 or less pre-tax/shipping
- US layout
- USB, my desktop has no PS/2 Port o.O
- something that I can take the frame off and paint without a special screwdriver would be lovely.
- lights are ok, or they're ok to leave off. Either way.
- I don't game on my computer, I game on my xbox, so 2KRO should be ok, 3 would be safe.

So far I've been leaning towards the Ducky Zero and the Shine 2 (in purple! So cute!) but if there's something that would suit me better I'm all ears.

Thank you for any help :)

Urthor

17 Nov 2013, 13:09

hey Oracle

I'm currently looking to upgrade from my lowly $20 membrane keyboard for the first time, having done so I've promptly decided to bypass all middle stages and flee right towards Topre keyswitches as my preferable method of torturing my wallet.

Obviously my chocie of boards is far more limited, and since the Happy Hacking 2's compactness and layout does not appeal to me in the slightest, I'm leaning towards a tenkeyless Realforce or the Type Heaven as my only option here.

However I'm caught on deciding whether the uniform 55 gram weighting, Topre's famous variable weighting, or the Heaven's uniform 45g weighting is the right choice for me. My first instinct is instant suspicion towards a fancy variable weighting scheme that may or may not perform as promised, and a gut feeling that stiffer is always going to be better in terms of keys. But the fact that I've absolutely not a lick of experience with any of these options isn't working in my favour.

Is there any advice you can give me on this? And perhaps suggestions on sourcing an elusive 55g board for an Australian buyer where the shipping will add a major chunk to the price tag if I got it straight from Elitekeyboards.com, instead of merely getting a barely used variable distribution locally?

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Nov 2013, 15:01

Urthor: when it comes to feel, there is no answer. Everyone has a personal preference, and preference changes with time and with comparison to whatever you're already using. Also, you have to allow time for a keyboard to break in, and for a keyboard to break you in. My first reaction to a Realforce variable was that it was too stiff (coming from MX blue), but at no time have I ever been consciously aware of the variable weighting: for me, it just works. It took me a little while to get used to Topre, but now I'm pretty settled with it. (Although I prefer MX brown, my wrists prefer Topre.)

If you're coming from a normal rubber dome board, any Topre keyboard should be an improvement :)

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2013, 16:49

Daniel is of course quite right. I come from the opposite direction — most my keyboards are buckling spring and my homemade custom is MX green so I obviously like heavy switches — and yet when I tried 002's Realforce for a week, I really liked it. Topre's Realforce line is well made and already has the high end features like dyesub PBT caps that will cost you extra elsewhere; or indeed on the Type Heaven! But the switch is their crown jewel.

002's touring Realforce is a full size variable weight model, the first time I'd tried that feature or the switches. I didn't know what to expect. Fortunately, as Daniel says, it's quite transparent. I just didn't notice it anything like as much as I thought I would. And it gave me the opportunity to try three different weights on one keyboard.

Although I do sway toward heavy switches in general, Topre's all felt fine to me. The high activation point (they trigger closer to the top than Cherry MX, let alone buckling spring) was my dominant sensation while typing on them. I didn't often accidentally press lighter keys, maybe because I was well aware I had to treat this keyboard lightly compared to my usual stuff! Indeed, trying something completely different to what you're used to is a good way to accomodate multiple changes at once. My overall impression was simply: a fine high end equal to good old buckling spring with a great smoothness and welcome high activation point.

Compared to a regular rubber dome, Topre will blow you away. I'm quite sure about that, whichever variant you go for. I'd advise a regular weighted 45 or even a multi weighted Realforce, if they're available. The all-55g Elite Keyboards special is highly regarded, but will surely be harder to find for a sensible price.

b3n

30 Nov 2013, 09:56

is there a difference between red and black stems besides the colour?
could i put blue springs with black stems and have something close to reds?

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

30 Nov 2013, 10:32

Yes, you could do that. There is no other difference between stems besides the color.

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2013, 11:53

Ghetto reds, so to speak.

My understanding is that MX stems come in these varieties, distinguished by their spring weights: Clears really are more tactile than browns, because the stem is different to browns. You get distinct switches by mixing their components, such as ergo clears.

There are two different kinds of greys. They're both meant as space bar switches, one is linear and the other (barely visibly different) variety is tactile. I assume the tactile grey stem is like a clear's, because with that heavy spring behind it, you need all the bump you can get.

But Broadmonkey is way ahead of me in practical experience. I could well be mistaken.

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Nov 2013, 15:01

Three greys, one each of linear, tactile and clicky.

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2013, 16:34

I did think of click grey, but they're out of production.

b3n

01 Dec 2013, 11:03

Muirium wrote:Ghetto reds, so to speak.

My understanding is that MX stems come in these varieties, distinguished by their spring weights: Clears really are more tactile than browns, because the stem is different to browns. You get distinct switches by mixing their components, such as ergo clears.

There are two different kinds of greys. They're both meant as space bar switches, one is linear and the other (barely visibly different) variety is tactile. I assume the tactile grey stem is like a clear's, because with that heavy spring behind it, you need all the bump you can get.

But Broadmonkey is way ahead of me in practical experience. I could well be mistaken.
so you're saying the difference between different colour click/tactile/linear switches is only in the spring?

ماء

01 Dec 2013, 11:05

Spring and stems

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2013, 13:05

b3n wrote: so you're saying the difference between different colour click/tactile/linear switches is only in the spring?
Precisely!

Cherry essentially makes variations on a theme. Blacks and reds are the exact same thing besides the spring: the colour is simply a helpful way to tell them apart. Same for the others on my list.

Mix and match away!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

01 Dec 2013, 13:26

Muirium is right. Basically there is the only 4 different kinds of stems. They might have different colors, but they have the same specifications.
Clicky = blue, green and clicky grey although the latter in no longer in production. There is also a white, but there is still uncertainty as to why it is less clicky than the others. There is a possibility it is due to different sizes legs on the sliders or maybe it's because of a small amount of lube on the inside of the slider, so we can't say for certain that it's the exact same as a blue and green stem (but I think they are since it wouldn't make sense for Cherry to produce a whole new mold for such a small difference)

But among the other switches there is only springs as difference, white is the only weird horse that differs from that rule.

I have a theory that the different colors/plastics also play a role, but that makes up for a much more subtle difference than springs and stems.

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2013, 13:47

I'm think a white switch is the blue / green design with a bit of greasy lube. Certainly, I've heard people get white characteristics once they lube a blue in the right way.

Brown is the oddball, because the stem does differ physically from a clear. Cherry has two types of tactile MX, which seems a mistake as ergo clears are proof that plenty of us want a lighter clear, but no one wants a heavier brown. Not without increasing the bump to somewhere between brown an clear, at any rate. Browns need more tactility. While clears lack a lighter brother.

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Dec 2013, 13:49

White looks the same as green to me:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:Cherry ... prings.jpg

Muirium
µ

01 Dec 2013, 13:56

Indeed. So the sliders are just a handful of variants. I expect the same of the springs. Has anyone measured them in isolation? (Stacking coins on top of a switch doesn't seem as scientific to me as removing the mechanism from the measurement.)

I have a hunch that there's a fairly tidy little matrix of the entire (nonlatching) family. Stem design on one axis, spring weight on the other.

Soarer

01 Dec 2013, 14:12

Summer of Ping's bastard stepchild: Spring of Spring.

Return to “Keyboards”