Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

Topre Enthusiast

21 Jul 2014, 11:53

Thanks for sharing! Interesting price. 1399 CNY is about 240 AUD or 166 EUR...I hope it's a bit cheaper over here :(

Madhias
BS TORPE

21 Jul 2014, 12:17

Laser wrote: was this link posted? Chinese review: http://www.weistang.com/article-1423-1.html
Thanks for the link! I always enjoy reading Chinese reviews with german translation enabled, it's very funny.

Findecanor

21 Jul 2014, 12:26

Hmm.. The stabilised keys don't look Cherry MX-compatible. Only the space bar.

barkweed

21 Jul 2014, 13:16

The Chinese review needs login for access?

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Jul 2014, 13:19

barkweed wrote: The Chinese review needs login for access?
No, but they are seem to do some backup right now. Google translation:

"Website database backup :) PS: pay attention to rest in front of the computer activities about the body to stand up absolutely good!"

BTW you can see the pics here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60892.0
Last edited by Laser on 21 Jul 2014, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Laser
emacs -nw

21 Jul 2014, 13:20

madhias wrote:
Laser wrote: was this link posted? Chinese review: http://www.weistang.com/article-1423-1.html
Thanks for the link! I always enjoy reading Chinese reviews with german translation enabled, it's very funny.
:)

That's why i use english as destination translation language, if i set it to my native language, it really cracks me up.

barkweed

21 Jul 2014, 14:55

Laser wrote:
barkweed wrote: The Chinese review needs login for access?
No, but they are seem to do some backup right now. Google translation:

"Website database backup :) PS: pay attention to rest in front of the computer activities about the body to stand up absolutely good!"

BTW you can see the pics here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60892.0
Thanks!

It's up again now.

The typing sound could be better, but that won't stop me from buying one. I'm talking about the video on this page:

http://www.weistang.com/article-1423-7.html

The other keyboard, whichever it is, has a lot more pleasant sound. I'm guessing it uses Topre as well, otherwise the comparison would be completely pointless.

noobie94

21 Jul 2014, 15:39

I wasn´t fully convinced with topre when I had the chance to test it but I want to give it another chance with this board.

Can´t wait for it :D :D

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2014, 16:23

I can't see a hint of a video. Maybe you need Flash for it to show up or something.

But I did see a bag of apparently complementary O-rings in this picture:

Hopefully not CM's ultimate fix! I've been using my prototype with O-rings for months now, and they aren't a complete solution.

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2014, 16:38

To answer Findecanor, the stabs look unchanged to me. They work well with every MX cap set I have (from SA to OEM) even if they look quite unusual. I think they work similarly to Cherry stabs, but guide the non-switch stems from the outside instead of plugging into them. I quite like them.

My prototype's ISO Return stab:

Guess I need to take some more pictures of these. They're dark and a bit tricky when up against shiny white keys!

Something I complained to CM about was the supplied cable. It's a nice thick braid, but the micro USB jack is mounted as an L shaped header, which feeds the cable out from the top right of the keyboard, to the right: straight in the way of many a mouse!

Unfortunately, both socket and cable look unchanged.

The CM Storm branding is quite bold in the new pictures. I'm not sure if this is just camera placement or a real change in the outer skin.

Here's how it is on my proto. Pretty low key. Literally. As its slung right along the back, on your desk!

shreebles
Finally 60%

21 Jul 2014, 16:39

Muirium wrote: Hopefully not CM's ultimate fix! I've been using my prototype with O-rings for months now, and they aren't a complete solution.
To me, O-Rings are like training wheels - once you have mastered your skill, you don't need them anymore. I can type without bottoming out on reds and blacks. And I also enjoy the clack sound when I do bottom out. O Rings really seem to reduce travel quite a bit, which I hate. Especially on reds.

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2014, 16:42

I had been typing on reds for a month when my proto NovaTouch arrived, and I didn't even notice the bottoming out issue for the first day because I was already typing light. In the high part of the stroke, it's pure Topre.

That said, I like an o-ring on Topre. The activation point is higher than MX, and a bit of training, indeed, to use less of the travel helps you move fast.

barkweed

21 Jul 2014, 19:26

Muirium wrote: I can't see a hint of a video. Maybe you need Flash for it to show up or something.

But I did see a bag of apparently complementary O-rings
Yes, Flash is unfortunately needed, and here's the direct link to the video:

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/ ... NDg4/v.swf

The NovaTouch sounds low-budget ultra-plastic to me. No idea if the o-rings were used in the video or not. The person doing the typing doesn't say anything, but I don't understand Chinese anyway so that's just as well. :)

Edit: when starting the video a message is displayed, but it goes away in a couple of seconds (10?) and the video then starts.
Last edited by barkweed on 21 Jul 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

barkweed

21 Jul 2014, 19:37

shreebles wrote: To me, O-Rings are like training wheels - once you have mastered your skill, you don't need them anymore. I can type without bottoming out on reds and blacks. And I also enjoy the clack sound when I do bottom out. O Rings really seem to reduce travel quite a bit, which I hate. Especially on reds.
WASD Keyboard's red o-rings only reduce the travel by .2 mm; more or less nothing. Still reduces the bottom out noise quite a lot, and I frequently bottom out so it's well worth it to me.

Haven't mastered my touch typing skills yet, and probably never will, so the o-rings are my friends. :)

My girlfriend refuses o-rings though, and happily clacks away on her MX reds, so to each his (her) own.

I didn't think Topre switches would need dampening though, full-rubber as they are...

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2014, 19:41

Compare with the sound of my PROTOTYPE NovaTouch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/322vbhb2gdg94bq/NovaTouch.m4a

I don't do Flash, so I haven't heard this new video. Is it any different? The sound was at the top of our feedback on the early models. Topre switches shouldn't need o-rings, but these did.

I used the same microphone and settings to record these:
Here's some of my other keyboards, for comparison:

http://deskthority.net/try-f29/the-real ... ml#p171698

barkweed

21 Jul 2014, 19:53

Muirium wrote: Compare with the sound of my PROTOTYPE NovaTouch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/322vbhb2gdg94bq/NovaTouch.m4a

I don't do Flash, so I haven't heard this new video. Is it any different? The sound was at the top of our feedback on the early models. Topre switches shouldn't need o-rings, but these did.

I used the same microphone and settings to record these:
Here's some of my other keyboards, for comparison:

http://deskthority.net/try-f29/the-real ... ml#p171698
Your NovaTouch recording sounds better, was that with o-rings? Maybe the video recording just used a very lousy microphone.

Your NovaTouch is quite a bit louder than your HHKB and Realforce though, but maybe that's just because of different recording settings?

I've never tried a Topre keyboard (I only have a single switch from Mr. Interface's sample bag), but it seems like the Topre switch produces a lot more bass (a "thumpy" sound) than Cherry MX switches. I've gotten used to the more high-pitch sound of the MX switches, so I'm not sure I like the Topre sound that much. But I'll get used to that as well. :D

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2014, 20:13

Yes, I recorded with o-rings installed in the NovaTouch. Also I think that was when I had tall Round 4 SPH sphericals on it. The blue keys I forever show off!

Neither Realforce nor HHKB are mine though. They were just borrowed. My only Topre is the proto NovaTouch. Which I still prefer to every MX, especially over browns and clears.

barkweed

21 Jul 2014, 20:23

Muirium wrote: Yes, I recorded with o-rings installed in the NovaTouch. Also I think that was when I had tall Round 4 SPH sphericals on it. The blue keys I forever show off!

Neither Realforce nor HHKB are mine though. They were just borrowed. My only Topre is the proto NovaTouch. Which I still prefer to every MX, especially over browns and clears.
Ah, so the difference between the video and your recording can most likely be attributed to the o-rings then. A good thing that CM seem to be including o-rings then, even if they're not the perfect solution as you say. :)

But were your recording settings (microphone gain, position and distance) the same in all three recordings? If so, the NovaTouch is louder even with o-rings.

I love MX browns, but Topre will be very interesting!

Medowy

21 Jul 2014, 20:23

Muirium delivers!! Once again!

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2014, 20:31

Especially if they remember to let me see the final release version!
barkweed wrote: But were your recording settings (microphone gain, position and distance) the same in all three recordings? If so, the NovaTouch is louder even with o-rings.
Yes, I try to make the recordings as fair as possible. I always put the same mic right on the desk in the same spot behind the keyboard, and record at 50% volume without any edits. Can't promise I'm always typing as fast, though! Maybe I get louder the more practice I have going fast with a board!

The microphone in question:

I found 002's Realforce's space bar really loud. (Its stabs need some lube, or something.) So the NovaTouch doesn't bother me for sound. I'd prefer a nice Topre style thock, but it's far from my loudest keyboard, as my all time favourites are IBM!

barkweed

21 Jul 2014, 20:51

Muirium wrote: Yes, I try to make the recordings as fair as possible. I always put the same mic right on the desk in the same spot behind the keyboard, and record at 50% volume without any edits. Can't promise I'm always typing as fast, though! Maybe I get louder the more practice I have going fast with a board!

I found 002's Realforce's space bar really loud. (Its stabs need some lube, or something.) So the NovaTouch doesn't bother me for sound. I'd prefer a nice Topre style thock, but it's far from my loudest keyboard, as my all time favourites are IBM!
Ok, then I trust your recordings for comparison very well!

Well, using a robot to do identical typing in each recording would be a little overkill. :D

I'll take your word for it, the sound is just a detail anyway (except when it comes to IBM buckling springs). What really matters is of course the typing experience.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jul 2014, 00:15

are we discussing the prototype we got months ago? because the sliders were flawed and at least two more re-versions have passed since then...

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2014, 00:21

Correct. And yet this one in China seems to still be much the same. Is it really new?

Topre Enthusiast

22 Jul 2014, 02:43

I'd reckon it is. You guys didn't get the swanky boxes right? My guess is the Chinese review above is the final product.

SL89

22 Jul 2014, 03:33

i wanna try a novatouch so badly, or any topre board for that matter.

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2014, 04:10

All in good time. The US release could well be close now…
002 wrote: I'd reckon it is. You guys didn't get the swanky boxes right? My guess is the Chinese review above is the final product.
No box indeed. Maybe you're right. Seems a bit odd, though. They spent enough time working on this after our feedback that I'd expect the classic Topre sound to have made it into the keyboard by now. And that cable, gah! Go left, left I say!

Topre Enthusiast

22 Jul 2014, 04:17

Not being able to run it left is a problem for me too :(

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2014, 04:19

Micro USB cables are plentiful enough, fortunately, so I just plugged in a straight one instead. But until I ordered some, I didn't have a single micro USB cable spare, and spent the first week cursing the stock one!

I do prefer micro over mini USB, incidentally. And detachable cables over fixed ones, especially! So the socket is just fine.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

22 Jul 2014, 16:31

Good to see you guys picked up some things posted about the packaging but do note it is not final but good to see the enthusiasm! Also the feedback about the cable angles has been noted ;) ;)

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2014, 16:35

Phew!

Return to “Keyboards”