What's this keyboard?

dizz3l

21 Aug 2015, 18:04

I found this keyboard in the basement, next to an old Sanyo computer that it came with.

The switches look exactly like a Leaf Spring gen.3, but on the wiki it says that the keyboards only have cylindrical keycaps.
Here's something more under the PCB:
It's made sometime before 1985 (that's when the computer's monitor was made). Here are more pics: https://imgur.com/a/0ys40#0.

Chyros

21 Aug 2015, 18:14

I'm guessing it's an undocumented version of Fujitsu Peerless. If you take the slider off and it's a slider over spring and sock over domes, it's that.

Findecanor

21 Aug 2015, 18:27

The fact that there is a large PCB under the switches tell me that it could be a Fujitsu Beam Spring, 2nd or 3rd generation type.
The sliders resemble those more than the Peerless.

dizz3l

21 Aug 2015, 18:33

Erm, I know this sound a bit noob-ish, but how do you properly remove the keycaps. They're so hard to take off, I've broken a slider now trying to get the key off.

Parak

21 Aug 2015, 18:49

Sanyo MBC 550 keyboard, third gen (iirc) fujitsu leaf spring.

To remove the keycaps, you just need to be sure that you're not grabbing the stem as well. It's not a huge deal if you rip the stem out as well, as it's made to be removable, but it can be a bit hard to reinsert. You can even remove the plastic plate insert into which the stem slides into. The only thing you'd want to be careful of is to not to bend the spring underneath where it shouldn't bend. Also, it's very sharp :D

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 Aug 2015, 19:05

The stem is just plastic. You remove them without desoldering. The mechanism inside is quite interesting.

Pics of whole board please?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Aug 2015, 19:06

That's a Fujitsu Leaf Spring 3rd gen. switch with the "tombstone" keycaps in my opinion.
Don't compare it to peerless. Much nicer. Nice keycaps too!

dizz3l

21 Aug 2015, 20:18

It's definitely Leaf Spring.

More pics here (they'll load slowwwwww, cuz why not 24MP photos?:
Spoiler:
I'll post smaller versions when I get home
sorry for the noise. it was too dark in that room
Nice, quite thick steel back.
Front. It's got only 10 function keys!
What does HANDAMEN mean?
I couldn't remove more keys.
Lotsa dust.
Definitely leaf spring.
Oooops. Broken (i think so) slider.
Also, I'm either dumb, or dumb. I still can't get the 1x1 keycaps off. And I'm not going to try anymore.

seebart

21 Aug 2015, 20:31

Just make sure you only pull on the edge of the cap and not under the slider. Shouldn't be a disaster if you do pull the slider if I remember correctly. Look at my picture, you want to avoid going too far under the slider while pulling. Could also be that the whole thing is filthy from age. Those sliders pop right back in.

Chyros

21 Aug 2015, 20:36

Findecanor wrote: The fact that there is a large PCB under the switches
Derp, how in the blue fuck did I miss that rather obvious detail?! xD

seebart

21 Aug 2015, 20:43

Yes the leaf springs are PCB mounted on my Fujitsu too.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

21 Aug 2015, 22:15

I actually want leaf spring caps if someone does not want theirs.

Especially that backspace key dizz3l.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Aug 2015, 22:35

dizz3l please post your country of residence in your profile!

Yep, Fujitsu leaf springs for sure.

dizz3l

22 Aug 2015, 09:13

Even if they were Cherry/Topre/whatever compatible and could get them off more easily(I think that's because they're 30-somewhat years old), it's preety much impossible to get them shipped to someone in U.S.

Return to “Keyboards”