Wrist-Rests

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 18:25

webwit wrote:The HHKB setup looks fantastic, but how practical is it? I don't like my keyboard and monitor raised like that.
That was actually what some guy on OTD wrote in a review of one of these. He said that while it looks awesome, it sadly does not feel as nice as it looks.

db_Iodine

08 Mar 2011, 19:01

That is really stunning. And when not in use, you can tuck the keyboard under the monitor stand.

calavera

08 Mar 2011, 19:28

I've never understood why they'd make wooden wrist rests but they certainly do look nice.

Gilgam

08 Mar 2011, 19:54

calavera wrote:I've never understood why they'd make wooden wrist rests but they certainly do look nice.
1. looks cool, you can't deny the "WOW" factor ;-)
2. easy to make
3. Natural
4. did i say it look cool ???

ripster

08 Mar 2011, 20:29

Never did like those Asian wooden pillows.

But I hear things are changing rapidly there.

RiGS

08 Mar 2011, 22:31

Those probably smells like vagina.

Olehk

12 Mar 2011, 02:43

I Have one built into my keyboard, but I don't really 'Use" it, once I get my new keyboard, I won't be using the optional one, mainly due to the fact the I have no room for one :P

qnoxluke

12 Mar 2011, 10:26

Cardboard beats wood.
Except in terms of durability and looks.
Paper.jpg
Paper.jpg (209.86 KiB) Viewed 15541 times

prava

12 Mar 2011, 19:29

qnoxluke wrote:Cardboard beats wood.
Except in terms of durability and looks.
Paper.jpg
Sir, you win :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Dogi

12 Mar 2011, 21:34

I've never used a wristrest regularly, and only at other people's homes. However, lately my left wrist has taken to hurting on occasion. This thread was pretty nice for figuring out a good rest to try

godly_music

12 Mar 2011, 23:51

There's only one game that ever made my wrist hurt. It required you to hit a lot of keys fast, and keep doing that for hours. Never had a wrist rest or anything like that, and I never needed one since I stopped playing it.

By the way, drawing with a pencil for any length of time is really bad for the hand too. So much for the supposed strain of artificial finger movement.

rockccf

14 Mar 2011, 04:07

Filco wrist rest is expensive, is it really worthy?

caprolactone

15 Mar 2011, 09:13

I think wrist rests are nice, but not needed, just take more breaks :p

lucidlts

16 Mar 2011, 06:15

rockccf wrote:Filco wrist rest is expensive, is it really worthy?
you can get cheaper Ducky wrist rest here:
http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item ... X&ROWNO=18

roughly it will only cost you less than $40 to get it :p

Sugoi

16 Mar 2011, 17:48

No, I do not use them. The first thing I was thought in the typing lesson was to throw that away since it slows down your typing speed and it can cause the carpal tunnel syndrom.

lucidlts

16 Mar 2011, 20:46

seriously? handrest causes carpal tunnel syndrom? aren't handrest suppose to reduce typing fatigue on our wrists?

runeazn

16 Mar 2011, 21:09

i use my wrist rest as handrest as the part under my thumb leans on it. and not my wrist, only a part of it .

Crazy9000

17 Mar 2011, 02:48

lucidlts wrote:seriously? handrest causes carpal tunnel syndrom? aren't handrest suppose to reduce typing fatigue on our wrists?
The rests are better then planting wrists on the desk, but not as good as holding them up yourself.

runeazn

17 Mar 2011, 23:41

how can you get carpal tunnel syndrom if my wrist arent even touching the wrist rest, my hands are touching the wrist rest, i might have a strange way of using my wrist rest rofl

jnewkirk

18 Mar 2011, 09:21

I made the mistake of letting my Filco wrist-wrest and accessories go with my keyboard when I sold it. Why did I do that? I don't know. If I was thinking I should have kept the wrist-wrest, key puller, and red-escape key.

Now I'm thinking about getting another tenkeyless board or just another mechanical keyboard in general. I'll probable never find another deal like the one I got when I bought that keyboard and accessories.

Oh well, another mistake in a long line of mistakes.

Flongo

18 Mar 2011, 16:41

I have a gel wrist rest from the brand Curtis which I use from time to time. I don't feel much of a difference in the term of pains from not using it. Mostly I tend to move it out of the way when I'm missing some spare space on my desk.
However it should be said I find it comfortable to use so I guess it doesn't hurt :).

lucidlts

18 Mar 2011, 18:06

7G handrest. lol
too bad it's made of plastics

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Mar 2011, 01:23

Keyboard Cat...

DIY instructions.

HaveANiceDay

29 Mar 2011, 18:05

Did you guys see the tenkeyless version of that keyboard tray\monitor stand?
It looks much nicer and more practical than the HHKB one, because it's not so high: http://woodworkman.com/bbs/board.php?bo ... t2&wr_id=5

NOMiS

29 Mar 2011, 22:29

That is very slick, I've been wanting something like that since I got my Filco, but I don't have skills to make one. Maybe someone can make a tutorial or something. :)

nolo

30 Mar 2011, 00:16

Hi, this is my first post here.

I have bought me some filco wrist rests:
CIMG7912.JPG
CIMG7912.JPG (210.23 KiB) Viewed 15248 times
CIMG7915.JPG
CIMG7915.JPG (238.99 KiB) Viewed 15248 times
Compared to other mushy plastic foam wrist rests i own the filcos are very comfortable and quality is awesome.

By the way ... Does somebody know where to buy a carrying case for a filco tenkeyless ?

NOMiS

30 Mar 2011, 05:34

I have one as well, and I don't quite see the purpose of the ledge on it. As for a case, I just put the plastic cover on and trow it in my bag.I would be nice to have a legit case, but putting those into production would probably be expensive and there's not really demand for it. I recommend learning to sew and making your own. Unless someone has found a bag that is not meant for the keyboard but fits it in nicely, that could be worth looking for.

itlnstln

30 Mar 2011, 15:30

The ledge just gives the user the option of using a different height for comfort. In practice, I don't think it works very well. It's a nice rest, though. I like the Ducky rest better since it's all one height.

HaveANiceDay

30 Mar 2011, 18:06

Any laptop bag should be suitable.

nolo

30 Mar 2011, 21:34

Hi, i guess i have found a suitable case:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php? ... leo_tkb001

But i've found nothing similar in europe. I think i have to import it from usa :(

EK do have a nice wrist rest on their site, too:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php? ... id=hm_prmb

Return to “Keyboards”