Artisan ZERO Mouse pad (Medium Size)

Topre Enthusiast

25 Sep 2012, 13:45

Foreword / History (Skip this is you don’t care for my personal history with mouse pads):
First of all, let me just say that for a skinny guy, I am sweaty as hell. Because of this fact, stuff that I rest my hands on seems to corrode and wear away. Case in point is my G9:
Spoiler:
This is what they're supposed to look like:
Spoiler:
For a long time this has meant that cloth mouse pads are absolute rubbish for me because the front edge where my wrist sits gets eaten away as the adhesive that holds the surface down slowly succumbs to my acid sweat. Once Razer and all the gaming brands started making hard surface mouse pads I thought to myself “Finally! Mouse pads that won’t wither away on me within a few months”…alas, while this was true, hard surface mouse pads were not right for me. The reason was grit/sand/dirt would get on the mouse pad and it shredded the feet and scratched the bottom of the mouse. In winter it wasn’t too comfortable to use either.

So my G9 and I suffered with this Razer eXactmat for many years until I eventually heard about Artisan on this Geekhack thread. I was lured in by the OP’s post about durability and quality and got myself a g2. My initial impressions of the mouse pad were good, but there were still some problems. The first was that the corners would lift up over time, and the second was the dreaded peel issue at the front which really was a letdown for me. Other than that though, performance wise it was the best mouse pad I’d ever used so overall it was a bitter-sweet purchase for me and I really longed for another Artisan pad that addressed my issues.

My prayers were answered in what is my current daily mouse pad, the Artisan Hien Soft (Medium) (HI-SF-JB-M). I got this beast in December 2011, just in time for a ruthless Australian summer – the ultimate mouse pad sweat test. I expected it to falter early like the g2 did but it’s still going strong…today I received a new contender for the title, the Artisan Zero X Soft (Medium). Obviously I won’t be able to test its durability over the course of a few hours, but if the durability of the Hien is anything to go by, this pad should get some good mileage.

Presentation:
Pretty simple packaging, but it does the job. It comes sealed in a cardboard envelope with typical branding and descriptions adorning it. There is nothing wrapped around the pad itself but the packaging was the same for the Hien and it wasn’t a problem for me. Nothing much to say for the appearance of the mouse pad itself other than it’s black (although other colours will be available) and has the branding in the bottom right corner.

Description and Performance:
The Zero, like the Hien, is comprised of three layers.

The bottom layer is a rubberised mat and it sticks very well to everything I tried it on; wood, vinyl, plastic and glass. My desk is wood and I’ve never had problems with the mouse pad moving, but I think overall, a glass surface is probably going to hold this pad still the best.

The middle layer is foam and I guess that the level of hardness for each of Artisan’s mouse pads is probably determined by the hardness of the foam. In my case, I have the Hien and the Zero which are both rated as ‘Soft’ pads. I think this foam has some sort of memory retention too because I sometimes rest my elbow on the pad while supporting my head and it leaves a nice divot in the pad which slowly disappears. This doesn’t seem to happen just wresting my wrist on the pad though, so no problems there.

The top layer is obviously the most important, and it hasn’t let me down so far. The mouse seems to glide across the pad nicely and I certainly noticed a difference in pointer speed between my Hien and the Zero, the Zero requiring much less effort to move the pointer.

Here are my setpoint settings for those interested:
I use setting 3 (1000dpi) almost exclusively and only change it if I’m playing a game that has stupid mouse sensitivity values. I’ve given it a quick run with Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 and had no trouble adjusting to it, although I’m not exactly coming from a vastly different mouse pad.

Conclusion:
The Artisan Zero is a high quality cloth mouse pad and you can tell from just picking it up that it’s well made. Their Hien mouse pad has proven itself to me and I am confident that the Zero will be a great pad as well.

Pros / Cons:
I don’t believe that there is a perfect product. Perfection is unattainable really, especially when you’re trying to cater for such a wide audience. With that said, here are my pros and cons:

+ Excellent quality
+ Excellent performance
+ Simple elegance – looks great

- If you don’t like cloth pads, you probably won’t like this mouse pad
- Cleaning a cloth pad is not as simple as a hard surface pad

Pictures:

Parcel:

Love your work, Customs Australia:

Packaging Front:

Packaging Back:

Details:

Closeup:

Hien (Top) vs Zero (Bottom):

Hien (Left) vs Zero (Right):

Ready for Action:

phetto
Elite

25 Sep 2012, 23:45

Cool! Looks nice with Japanese letters on it! And black is always nice.Never heard of them though.

Whats the price? Is it only attainable from Japan?

If you want you can grab yourself a Razer Goliathus Control/Razer Mantis Control, I can assure you that, that perticular mousepad is one of the most unique pads out there. Its top layer is made of thick weave, it doesnt ever wear down!
just a random tip lol! :mrgreen:

More of this stuff please! Exotic stuff that we Swedes never would have seen otherwise :D

phetto
Elite

25 Sep 2012, 23:50

Need to write another post!

I really love you right now!
I googled and found their website and found this - http://www.artisan-jp.com/item_teppeki_eng.html

Been using the Steelseries grip stuff since a was like 11, but it went out of production a few years ago.
This seems to be like that but 1250505 times better! SANDPAPER GRIP, THANK YOU SIR FOR THIS REVIEW! :geek:

Topre Enthusiast

26 Sep 2012, 01:33

I paid 800 yen (about $10) for the Medium but this was part of their monitor campaign on their facebook page where you agree to review their product and get it for a cheap price.

I'd imagine when they are released to the general public they will be closer to $40-50.

Here is their amazon storefront: http://www.amazon.co.jp/s?ie=UTF8&field ... ch-type=ss

forcefollow

26 Sep 2012, 02:43

well, I got black hien (L size) for around $40 from a reseller here. While it's not a perfect mousepad (coming from a person who almost never use a mouse), it sure give extra grip and dampening the bottoming out sound of HHKB.

hamza_tm

26 Sep 2012, 15:59

the question is, can you clean the dust off it?

Topre Enthusiast

26 Sep 2012, 23:08

Yep, and I'm pretty sure that Artisan themselves mention on their facebook page that you can wash these things with warm soapy water. I did it with the Kai.g2 pad but I haven't needed to do it with the Hien or Zero pads yet.

maidos

28 Sep 2012, 15:55

can you add dust on ur pad and see if u can remove it because artisan hayate has dust which is impossible to remove :(
i tried washing and brushing to no avail... so im reallllly curious if zero is the same case

xoam

13 May 2013, 13:50

European based distributor (ships worldwide though) for Artisan: http://www.xoam.net

As an e-Sports player I'm always looking for the best gear to give me an edge in gaming. I found Artisan as the most praised brand of mouse pads in the community, and after trying them out I could easily understand why. I however found them very hard to get a hold of in Europe (and the US, for that matter). After a few months of communication with Artisan regarding their sponsorship of my Battlefield 3 team and increasing the availability of the Artisan mouse pads, I started my own company to become a retailer for them, mainly in Europe, but shipping around the world (tax-free sales outside of the EU).

There is currently also summer sales going on, reducing all prices by 20%. Feel free to check it out on http://www.xoam.net

Return to “Reviews”