RACE 75% - First impressions and a comparison to the Poker

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Jan 2012, 16:53

The RACE 75% is yet another new mini-keyboard on the market. Designed by the community of the KBTalking forum and "WAVE" in Taiwan, it is being distributed and produced by VorTex, the same guys who brought us the Poker earlier last year.

At a first glance, the RACE looks quite similar to the Poker. However, the layout, as well as the features are actually quite different.

In the first-look below, I will try to compare the keyboard to the Poker and point out some new features and differences. I will not be mentioning anything about keyfeel, as the RACE will be available in all common switch variants and this is therefore much depending on your personal preference.

Overview

The RACE features a compact 82-key layout with nearly standard QWERTY layout for the alphanumerical keys and some additional keys accessable by a function layer.

Unlike on the Poker, not all keys have been cut away to save space. The full F-Key row is there, as well as dedicated cursor keys. To keep the layout even, some of the keys are non-standard sized. The right shift-key is smaller, which should be no problem to get used to if you have previously used a G80-1800 or a Steelseries 6G before. The 1.25 sized cursor keys feel a bit weird, but I am sure I will get used to them as more time passes.

The second big difference between the RACE and the Poker is that the RACE is a fully backlit keyboard. The keyboard is available in three different variants with either green, blue or white LEDs. The RACE offers three different backlight modes:

* Gaming mode (WASD, ESC and the cursor arrow keys light up)
* Full mode (All keys but capslock light up)
* Pulse mode (All keys but capslock light up and pulsate every few seconds)

With the exception of the "Pulse mode" all modes can be dimmed on five levels, depending on your brightness preferences. Personally I prefer the lowest setting, which provides a nice subtle glow. The gif animation below shows the difference between the lowest and highest brightness setting:

When booting up your computer or connecting the keyboard, the backlight will be off by default. All of the backlight settings can be controlled with the Fn key and a combination of the Z, X and C keys.

Keycaps

The backlight on the RACE is being achieved by using a dedicated LED in every single Cherry switch.

The keycaps use a method similar to that developed by Signature Plastics, where a milky-transparent ABS keycap is being coated with black paint and the legends are being lasered out of the paint. The whole keycap is then coated again in a clear coat.

Keycap from the back

We have seen these keycaps before. They are the same as found on other Taiwanese backlit boards, such as the Ultimate Edition of the Razer Black Widow and some variants of iOne keyboards. As of now, it is impossible for me to judge how well these will hold up to wear. Looking at other keyboards that use the same method, it would seem that they are quite durable.

To spice things up a bit for this review, I took a keycap and purposely tried to scratch off the paint with my fingernail for about 10 minutes without much success. I was finally able to break the layer of coat and scratch away the paint when actually using a knife and applying strong pressure.

So can the paint be scratched off? Yes, it can. But as mentioned above it took an extreme method and brute force to actually damage the paint. As proven by this test, the paint actually is coated by several layers. So unless you have claws instead of fingernails, I would think these will last quite a while.

While on the topic of keycaps, I should mention that due to the material and the way these are produced, the keys have very little texture and sometimes can feel a bit slippery. As it is the nature of this type of matte plastic, it attracts fingerprints and grease, as seen in the picture above. There is not much you can do about this and it is known to happen with other keyboards (such as the early Filcos) as well. Wash your hands, don't eat Cheetos while typing.

Construction and Quality

Not much has changed between the RACE and the Poker. The case construction is very similar to that of the Poker. We have a bottom case and the PCB mounted into it with 5 screws. Just as with the Poker, there is very little flexing while typing and the keyboard feels solid. At 497g it is almost as light as the Poker.

The bottom of the keyboard features four rubber feet to give it a stable rest on your desk. Unlike the Poker, two of the rubber feet have been placed vertically this time. It seems VorTex has learned from the Poker and improved a bit here.

A thing to note for nitpickers is that the bottom shell of the keyboard seems to be made from a different plastic than on the Poker. Depending on your lighting setup, the shell may appear anything between a silvery-black to a dark blue, as seen in the example picture above. Personally this is not an issue for me at all, as it is the same with many other keyboards (such as the Cherry G80-7000 POS series and legendary ricercar SPOS), but since for some people it might be an issue, I figured I should mention it.

Technical

On the technical side, we have a Holtek controller with full n-key rollover over PS2 and 6-key rollover over USB. There is no n-key rollover for USB, so the keyboard is fully working under all major operating system.

While the switches are PCB mounted, they can not be easily modified into another type as you will need to remove/desolder the LED to open the switch. The stabilizers are the standard Cherry-style stabilizers for PCB mounting.

First Impressions & Questions

So there you have it - my first impressions of the RACE. If you feel like I left anything out, or you wish to know about a specific detail, feel free to ask. I will be extending the review more as time goes on and I get used to the board a bit more.

GeorgeStorm

05 Jan 2012, 17:37

Nice review, although surely you should be comparing it to the choc mini? Since that's the same size as this, and it's the Pure which is the same size as the poker?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Jan 2012, 17:42

GeorgeStorm wrote:Nice review, although surely you should be comparing it to the choc mini? Since that's the same size as this, and it's the Pure which is the same size as the poker?
My first two choc-minis were lost in the mail forever. I actaully ordered a second one a couple of days ago to make a comparison. It should be here soon :D

RiGS

05 Jan 2012, 17:46

Nice review. Today I learnt something new about backlit keycaps.

itlnstln

05 Jan 2012, 19:22

sixty wrote:
GeorgeStorm wrote:Nice review, although surely you should be comparing it to the choc mini? Since that's the same size as this, and it's the Pure which is the same size as the poker?
My first two choc-minis were lost in the mail forever. I actaully ordered a second one a couple of days ago to make a comparison. It should be here soon :D
Maybe they're in keyboard heaven with Webwit's Evolution.

xbb

05 Jan 2012, 19:42

Nice review sixty, thanks.

amasokin

13 Jan 2012, 16:04

Nice review, and nice pics.

One quick question though: is there any way to make it work under OS X?

I live in France and I just got my KBT Race in MX Red a few days ago, via attarian's group buy, and I love it (my only other keyboard was a Filco TKL in MX Brown), but I can't manage to make it work on my Macbook Pro. It's no big deal considering I wasn't planning to use it with my Mac, but it'd still be nice to know if there's a solution.

When I plug it in, nothing happens, it's just not recognized. Any idea, or there's nothing to do?

trax

13 Jan 2012, 16:52

Nice review,
you reckon this being the best mini board with cherry switches?

sordna

13 Jan 2012, 17:06

amasokin wrote:Nice review, and nice pics.

One quick question though: is there any way to make it work under OS X?
When I plug it in, nothing happens, it's just not recognized. Any idea, or there's nothing to do?
I knew it! This completely useless NKRO feature is destroying today's keyboards. I mean, who has 82 fingers to need NKRO on this board ?

Anyway, amasokin, a hack used with the Nopoo choc mini is to use 2 adapters, usb to ps2, and ps2 back to usb, it might work here too.

nathanscribe

13 Jan 2012, 17:26

Er, doesn't the review state it has 6-KRO over USB, and that it's compatible with all major OSes? Is it not he same controller as the Poker?

Ekaros

13 Jan 2012, 18:18

I realy want this one in ISO... Now if I just hand few ten/hundred ks...

amasokin

14 Jan 2012, 03:30

Okay, quick update : tried it on an older Macbook Pro (the gen just before the unibodies, 15"), then on my iMac today, and it did in fact work with both of them.

Guess I have a problem with my new MBP (unibody, 13"), but I really don't know where it's coming from.

So, Mac users, no worries, I guess I talked a bit too fast, the KBT Race does seem to work under OS X. I will post an update If I can get it to work on my new MBP.

imsto

29 Jan 2012, 05:49

Happy New Year!

reqq

12 Feb 2012, 13:23

owner says it got full NKRO over usb?? comments?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Feb 2012, 06:14

reqq wrote:owner says it got full NKRO over usb?? comments?

Liar, liar pants on fire. Unless they changed the revision since I received the first samples.

reqq

15 Feb 2012, 13:53

hmm oki.. guess i found out when i get mine then..

guilleguillaume

16 Feb 2012, 16:58

Sixty now that you've tried the Noppoo Choc Mini, what are your thoughts about each keyboard?

I supposed you've tried it because you are selling one, I may be wrong.

reqq

24 Feb 2012, 21:30

got my race, but cant get it to work with ps2. Anyone got any clue why?

sixty does the backlit work under ps2?

guilleguillaume: I have the noppoo choc mini aswell, the race have nicer keycaps, bigger alt-gr button and dedicated home/end instead of pause/delete button on noppoo. For me the race is better because of this.

CeeSA

24 Feb 2012, 21:42

black or white noppoo choc mini?

reqq

24 Feb 2012, 21:58

i got the black version of noppoo

reqq

25 Feb 2012, 12:19

can add one more thing. The Race got smaller left ctrl then noppoo, kinda smallish. When writing its not a problem. However many gamers like me plays with tilted keyboards and this might get problematic.

Though Race got left ctrl-caps lock exchanger just like the noppoo.

BTW i got confirmation mail from manufacturer that this keyboard dont support PS2 and it does only have 6KRO.

Crowat

07 Mar 2012, 21:44

reqq wrote:got my race, but cant get it to work with ps2. Anyone got any clue why?

sixty does the backlit work under ps2?

guilleguillaume: I have the noppoo choc mini aswell, the race have nicer keycaps, bigger alt-gr button and dedicated home/end instead of pause/delete button on noppoo. For me the race is better because of this.
I can't seem to get it to work under PS2 either. Using Windows 7.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Mar 2012, 22:03

Crowat wrote: I can't seem to get it to work under PS2 either. Using Windows 7.
It looks like the final retail keyboard might have dropped PS/2 and only supports the USB protocol. Note that when the specs came in the board was not available on the market yet. The reference design documents I have here still refer to it as PS/2 compatible - but I did not actually test it, as I no longer have a PS2 port. I'll be asking around for a confirmation.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Mar 2012, 22:07

I'll test it, my Intel i7 still came with PS/2 ports.

Got sixty's board for review, I think I can do this in one line:

Like the Poker, bit more keys, has Christmas tree mode.

Crowat

07 Mar 2012, 22:13

Ah, the thread below says it's USB only and no NKRO.

http://kbtalking.cool3c.com/article/56279

fireglow

23 Mar 2012, 00:53

A summary about OS compatibility would be nice:
Linux: PS/2? USB?
OS X/FreeBSD: PS/2? USB?

AvenZerg

10 Apr 2012, 20:35

Since it has a detachable cable, would it be possible to get a mini-usb to ps/2 cable and achieve nkro? I assume if this works you would lose the backlight feature (which is no big deal) excuse me if i missed the answer already.

Btw very good review, i'm impressed

didja

20 Jun 2012, 15:07

Great review and the only one I could find that shows the underside of the caps. Does anyone know if you can get caps for these that aren't painted? I want this layout and don't care if LEDs show through or not. Painted key caps on 50 million cycle mechanical switches doesn't make any sense. They will wear through and that combined with LEDs will make a bunch of glowing blobs all over the place.

ripster

20 Jun 2012, 17:12

My KBTalking pics will be better.

Anyhoo I think you are out of luck. Dyesubbed TG3 BL82 for a decent font. Dyesubbed Deck for a Hobbit font.

But even those keys bleed light and the glue comes loose after let's say 10 years.

My keys should last a few years easy based on the Razer Black Widow Ultimate keys key wear patterns I've seen on the InterToobs.

Plus I type like a girl. Not like Nanu, the Destroyer Of Keys.

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t2260.html

didja

21 Jun 2012, 03:13

I'm quite hard on keys as well and have found my Filcos and Cherry ABS caps thoroughly shine in under 2 weeks.

Here's a worn down macbook pic showing what will happen to Voretex caps. I suspect the Vortex won't hold up as well as these. Though i'm glad they're dyesub, I thought they were just paint paint and clear coat.

Return to “Reviews”