The Rapoo V7 - Fully programmable mechanical under $40

ripster

25 Feb 2012, 00:59

Beware of Chinese specifications.

They are often more creative than German ones.

Icarium

25 Feb 2012, 14:24

Wait...I knew that the rappoo had yellow cherries but what other kind of yellow cherries are there?

ripster

25 Feb 2012, 18:32

Damn - I don't see any virus.

Try again.
1zpjkao.png
1zpjkao.png (317.41 KiB) Viewed 5289 times

Grond

25 Feb 2012, 22:18

My question may sound ingenuous, but can't you obtain full programmability by software only?

ripster

25 Feb 2012, 23:03

Sure. But most gamers can't really handle Autohotkey.

sordna

26 Feb 2012, 08:31

Grond wrote:My question may sound ingenuous, but can't you obtain full programmability by software only?
It's way better to be able to program the keyboard itself, so your favorite layout is there when you play with multiple OS's, reinstall an OS, deal with the BIOS / boot loader, move your keyboard to another computer, etc.

I was very happy when I moved from a Kinessis Essential (non-programmable) to a Kinesis Classic (programmable) which were otherwise the same keyboard. Of course the programmability of the Kinesis is better than the Rapoo, since it allows you to reassign keys from the keyboard itself without software, but still What Rapoo has done is commendable; I wish more vendors start offering the programmability feature.

Grond

26 Feb 2012, 22:19

I see. Another silly question: could it be possible to put a programmable controller in a usb dongle, like an external add-on to make a keyboard programmable without hard-modding it?

mintberryminuscrunch

26 Feb 2012, 23:13

Grond wrote:I see. Another silly question: could it be possible to put a programmable controller in a usb dongle, like an external add-on to make a keyboard programmable without hard-modding it?
argh..can't find it, but pretty sure someone did that with a teensy controler.

sordna

27 Feb 2012, 03:47

I think it's possible; there are products like the QIDO (querty in dvorak out) that remap the keyboard on the fly. QIDO is not programmable but it does have different mapping selections built in: http://www.keyghost.com/qido/

A freely programmable dongle would make a great product !

Grond

27 Feb 2012, 09:32

That's what I had in mind. That would be pretty handy!

mkeeley

05 Apr 2012, 04:42

Bargain even if it doesn't last forever.

blighty

24 Sep 2012, 06:31

I think this board is back, with a new bezel, maybe real cherry switches, and no programmable features, for a few dollars more.
http://www.amazon.com/Shogun-Portable-M ... 053&sr=1-3

ChuckFinlay

14 Oct 2012, 14:15

You can waste a few bucks more for a Zalman logo now. ZM-K500

phetto
Elite

14 Oct 2012, 21:47

^ WTF why did they change the yellow switch to red? Thats the most stupid thing i have ever seen.

Daemon Raccoon

14 Oct 2012, 23:54

Probably to trick the gamers into thinking it was a real Cherry switch.

JBert

15 Oct 2012, 09:51

phetto wrote:^ WTF why did they change the yellow switch to red? Thats the most stupid thing i have ever seen.
Ah, you were talking about the Zalman...

But yes, they were likely banking on the "a mechanical keyboard needs reds!" credo in the gaming community to trick any n00bs.

Return to “Reviews”