Halloween Exchange

IvanIvanovich

02 Oct 2014, 22:19

Lets have a trick or treat exchange. The goal here is to send distinctive regional and local items to other members around the world that would otherwise not be able to get them easily or at all. We all know Halloween time is one of the best times of the year for some seasonal treats. Other local Halloween customary related items are also more than welcome.
Try to send items that you know are not exported commonly. Avoid home made/unsealed or quickly perishable treats. Gags and other Halloween items are also more than welcome here. Please try to limit yourselves to a max $15 value. Do not enter if you can't be bothered to spend at least $2 on items and shipping to international recipients.

I will then start pairing people up after 15 October and let it run through 30 October.

Last edited by IvanIvanovich on 01 Nov 2014, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Oct 2014, 08:11

i'm in!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Oct 2014, 09:10

isn't Halloween a US thing? I mean, we have it over here just because kids like candies, youngsters getting drunk and adults dressing furriers... but I don't think there's anything interesting to buy here

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Oct 2014, 09:13

candies! why not?

HzFaq

03 Oct 2014, 09:42

Sounds fun, I'll sign up when I get back from work.

We usually get a care package from Poland every couple of months so I should be able to send some authentic Polish sweets :D.

pasph

03 Oct 2014, 11:09

No halloween here, thanks but no thanks.

the1onewolf

03 Oct 2014, 11:24

pasph wrote:No halloween here, thanks but no thanks.
What?

pasph

03 Oct 2014, 11:31

the1onewolf wrote:
What?
Really tired of imported shit just to try to suck money where there isn't anymore

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Oct 2014, 11:37

pasph wrote:
the1onewolf wrote:
What?
Really tired of imported shit just to try to suck money where there isn't anymore
this is literally pocket money being spent on local sweets to be sent to someone who might not have tried it before

if we're gonna complain about the economy, let's complain about banks and defense companies and oil giants, not halloween gift exchange

happy holidays 8-)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Oct 2014, 11:44

okay remove halloween and let's call it "candy exchange program" :) There are some delicious cookies I can send from here.

pasph

03 Oct 2014, 11:52

it isn't so simple, is trying to import a cultural and economic model that don't belong to us just because they have eated or wasted all our resources

happy holidays 8-)
our holyday is "All saints' day".

pasph

03 Oct 2014, 11:54

"candy exchange program" is ok and welcome!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Oct 2014, 11:54

pasph wrote: it isn't so simple, is trying to import a cultural and economic model that don't belong to us just because they have eated or wasted all our resources

happy holidays 8-)
our holyday is "All saints' day".
is there no candy in italy?

my holy day is halloween. hail satan :evilgeek:

Findecanor

03 Oct 2014, 12:01

I'm in! I like tasting the local treats when I travel, and I sometimes buy things at ethnic food stores just to try them out.

For me, Halloween is a good excuse to play dress-up. (Not that I wouldn't dress up otherwise...)

Halvar

03 Oct 2014, 12:03

Halloween has no tradition here either. However, the retail industry has had some success in the last 20 years by insistently trying to establish it (as a means to sell the crap China is making originally for the Americam market). Happened with other American holidays like Valentine's day before. I guess trying to make us all buy turkey on American thanksgiving will be next.

I suspect that's pretty much what pasph meant, too. Imported holiday.

So using this day to celebrate the stuff that is not globalized (yet) is actually a neat idea.

I'm in.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Oct 2014, 12:09

I dressed up like the blues brothers with a friend once, they though I was a tax inspector. another time by The Middleman (google it) and my wife as Wendy Watson. Nobody knew who the heck we were. BTW, not for halloween but for a holiday called "Carnevale" (which is held in february or march, depending on when Easter falls).

Medowy

03 Oct 2014, 14:02

Definitely signing! Who wants finnish candy?? 8-)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Oct 2014, 14:10

Medowy wrote: Definitely signing! Who wants finnish candy?? 8-)
full disclosure, finnish candy is herring. just herring.

all finnish food is just herring

HzFaq

03 Oct 2014, 14:14

Isn't it Finland that have that super (super super) salty liquorice?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Oct 2014, 14:16

HzFaq wrote: Isn't it Finland that have that super (super super) salty liquorice?
that's holland! maybe finland too! but in finland it's herring.

IvanIvanovich

03 Oct 2014, 18:32

Or call it the Samhain, Hop-tu-Naa, Calan Gaeaf, Allantide, Day of the Dead, Reformation Day, All Saints' Day, Devil's Night... Exchange if it makes you happier.
True in the US it's much more about treats, costumes and other novelties than any of the original Pagan/Christian purpose of the day. I don't see any reason not to exchange some nice fall time seasonal treats around even if you don't particularly care about or celebrate any of the holidays.

Perhaps if it's a success we can keep doing similar every couple month or something.

Findecanor

03 Oct 2014, 19:04

HzFaq wrote: Isn't it Finland that have that super (super super) salty liquorice?
It is popular also in Sweden, but people in Finland tend to like it more. They also have Salmiakki-flavoured vodka.
Otherwise, I think that as we are close and has such a shared history, that the general taste and traditions are much the same.

In Sweden, it is common to start each holiday feast (Christmas, Easter, Midsummer) with an entrée of pickled herring and potatoes.
It is only northern Sweden that has the tradition of eating fermented herring: "Surströmming" which is infamous for its awful smell. People who it eat every year tell me it is tastes much better than smells. The cans buckle under the pressure from the fermentation and are supposed to be opened under water - otherwise you could be sprayed with foul-smelling brine.

In Easter, Finns but not Swedes eat "Mämmi" - a kind of sweet dark porridge/pudding made from rye. It is sold in Swedish supermarkets around then only to cater to the Finnish minority. I tried it once and don't like it.

Medowy

04 Oct 2014, 11:16

Yeah we do have that. It's pretty good actually.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

07 Oct 2014, 09:26

I'm in :P Not for the Halloween but for the fun of exchanging treats with other people ;)
Here we have something with similar meaning in November but it's not funny at all :(

pasph

10 Oct 2014, 16:18

DanielT wrote: I'm in :P Not for the Halloween but for the fun of exchanging treats with other people ;)
Here we have something with similar meaning in November but it's not funny at all :(
Mosii de toamna?

DanielT

13 Oct 2014, 15:57

pasph wrote:
DanielT wrote: I'm in :P Not for the Halloween but for the fun of exchanging treats with other people ;)
Mosii de toamna?
Yep, that one :D

pasph

13 Oct 2014, 21:48

In an italian region (Puglia) they have a traditional sweet for 2 November: "colva", it is a recipe very similar to the "coliva" (or it is koliva?)

DanielT

14 Oct 2014, 06:21

pasph wrote: In an italian region (Puglia) they have a traditional sweet for 2 November: "colva", it is a recipe very similar to the "coliva" (or it is koliva?)
Coliva :)
Coliva is traditionally made to celebrate the dead in Romania, even if it is very tasty I never could eat it.....I associate it with all the grim and morbid rituals we have in my country.
Just read about colva, the recipe is similar, same soaked and boiled wheat, and has the same Greek origins.

IvanIvanovich

17 Oct 2014, 21:46

Everyone should have received an email from me now with your exchange partners mailing address. Luckily I was able to match up everyone with someone from another country so this should be pretty nice chance to get things that may not be possible to have locally.

Sign up is open until the end of the month, so I can pair more off as we go from now.

Findecanor

20 Oct 2014, 17:40

Package sent. I can't promise that it will show up by Halloween though.

Return to “Off-topic”