Sadness, infinite

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2014, 00:14

Oh, just one? How quaint!

(Says the guy with no graphics card at all.)

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Oct 2014, 00:26

I don't have an SSD, and my fairly boring i7 PC takes ages to boot Windows 8, and always did (it's coming up to two years old). Hibernation is certainly faster than it was in XP, and a bit more reliable — instead of randomly losing the sound card driver, I randomly lose all my taskbar thumbnails. (I also randomly lost bits of the network stack, such as my NIC, or I couldn't connect to my work VPN from the sidebar as it insisted I had no network, but upgrading the NIC driver took care of that.)

I assume someone must have a PC where the search in 8.1 doesn't hopelessly suck. It only returns a handful of file results (with the obvious matches always omitted) and program search is sluggish. I see that on any 8.1 PC; search is way slower than it was in 8.0 (same PC, too — it was really fast before I updated to 8.1).

Hypersphere

24 Oct 2014, 00:51

matt3o wrote: no, really it's basically instantaneous (if it doesn't have to install those 54 updates before startup... which almost always has to)

oh and BTW... MSI GTX970... best GPU ever. Semi-passive. Super silent.
My new Mac Pro is super silent. PCIe flash and dual AMD D700 GPUs. But my linux PC is more primitive: SSDs and dual GTX 680s. My Windows machine is still running Win 7, and, yes, it seems that on the rare occasions that I boot into Windows it always has at least 54 updates. I'm finding it faster to run Windows in a VM on my Mac.

cinnamonrollz

24 Oct 2014, 01:09

matt3o wrote: I tell ya, I could even overcome the CAD issue somehow (VM or something), but I would still have the CAM problem.
Does what your using support gpu rendering? If so try it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Oct 2014, 08:41

I'm not saying that I like win8. but since I have to use it, I must say that is better than I initially thought. So my sadness is not infinite, just infinite-1.

Medowy

24 Oct 2014, 10:24

I still haven't even installed/tested Windows 8 on my PC... I'll stick to my 7 thank you!

andrewjoy

24 Oct 2014, 11:22

if you install start8 its not so bad , only reason i rolled back is i could not get Bluetooth working its may own fault for buying cheap £1 dongles

Return to “Off-topic”