Watch Photo Thread

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

17 Dec 2014, 13:25

yours is the ulitmate "wearable" cookie! :mrgreen:

cookie

17 Dec 2014, 13:30

It's from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuR_GxPYFGU#t=46
I've set a timemark but I highly recommend to watch the full clip, this guys are fucking EPIC!
And they kick some serious ass live too :D

Okay enough derailing, apologies

mr_a500

17 Dec 2014, 15:26

seebart wrote: Nice pics here guys.I own some watches most of which I inherited. I havent worn any for a long time and don't miss them. I was never into collecting watches like I am now with keyboards. That's a Heuer Autavia GMT from 1969 in the middle. It's nice but too flashy for me. Look at the dirt and you can guess how long these have been sitting in the closet.

Nice watches - that Rolex has a nice "early James Bond" look. (..though you can clearly see the disadvantage of old style acrylic crystal)

I never "collected" watches either. I only ever had one good watch at a time until it wore out, got lost or something. The Seiko I just bought was my first new watch in 21 years and I got it because I was tired of having to send my Citizen out to get the battery replaced every couple years. (Citizen Canada now wants about $150 to replace the battery and reseal! But I finally figured out how to open the damn watch and do it myself for $6, screw the resealing.)

I've always liked watches though. It's the only reasonable piece of "manly jewellery" for men. I don't like rings, necklaces or diamond-studded teeth grills, but I think a nice, tastefully designed watch is essential. Like Muirium, I can occasionally be mistaken for a hobo, but when I dress up I want to look like James Bond. (early Connery, not late Roger Moore)

seebart

17 Dec 2014, 19:14

Yup that acrylic is scratched up good. Getting that Rolex fixed up would run me about € 500. Of course I'll spend that € on keyboards instead.[emoji12]

Topre Enthusiast

17 Dec 2014, 22:36

mr_a500 wrote: I don't like rings, necklaces or diamond-studded teeth grills
What about a more classic "early James Bond" look grill?

mr_a500

18 Dec 2014, 01:24

Well if you're going to get a tooth grill, that's the one to get... especially if you want to chew through steel cables.

seebart

18 Dec 2014, 10:42

002 wrote:
mr_a500 wrote: I don't like rings, necklaces or diamond-studded teeth grills
What about a more classic "early James Bond" look grill?

thats the mother of all grills.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

22 Dec 2014, 18:50

Ok, I have to post some of my stuff here :D Don't have Rolex, TAG or Omega but I have some nice ones a Hamilton a vintage Zenith, but without photos is worthless :P

seebart

23 Dec 2014, 14:08

You make me sound like a rich guy DanielT, unfortunately I am not. ;)

watson

20 Jan 2015, 21:46

This is my favorite thread. Check this Patek Phillipe out:

http://en.worldtempus.com/sites/default ... e-view.jpg

THIS IS BEAUTY

mr_a500

21 Jan 2015, 20:43

That Patek Phillipe is nice. I like that style. Similar watches I liked - the very first Seiko Spring Drive, SBWA002:
SBWA002.jpg
...and the Ball Trainmaster 120:
Ball Trainmaster 120.jpg

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

21 Jan 2015, 20:49

My current watch, the Cheapo - Harold Navy/Red:

Simple, elegant, and humble (doesn't cost hundreds of euros).

mr_a500

21 Jan 2015, 21:03

I'm thinking of getting a Seiko SBGA083:
SBGA083.JPG

mr_a500

22 Jan 2015, 20:11

I love this 1959 gold Rolex!

I don't think I'd feel safe wearing it though. Somebody might lop off your arm with a machete just to get it.
(I know I would...)

TacticalCoder

27 Jan 2015, 16:28

mr_a500 wrote: Here are some watches that I'd like to have, but they're just too damn expensive:
Buy a used one, which is already "fully depreciated". Not many brand / model keep their value but the Rolex Submariner is a model that so many people like that you cannot really go wrong with it (now of course you better not lose it nor have it stolen nor break it but my point is: it's not money thrown down the drain).

I bought mine used and "full set" (box, papers, goodies)... It's a 14060 M, from 2005 or 2006 (should check, don't remember), "two lines" (of text) Here's a pic of it on a nato band on my HHKB Pro JP I posted on GH a few months ago (and I'm of course using the HHKB to post this and wearing the Sub... Some will say it's too heavy and creates imbalance but I never noticed it):
watchTacticalCoderRolexSubmarinerHHKBJP.jpg
watchTacticalCoderRolexSubmarinerHHKBJP.jpg (842.06 KiB) Viewed 17643 times

TacticalCoder

27 Jan 2015, 16:35

ramnes wrote: My current watch, the Cheapo - Harold Navy/Red:

Simple, elegant, and humble (doesn't cost hundreds of euros).
Very nice on that strap!

cookie

27 Jan 2015, 21:49

That one looks nice, I'd prefere a dark brown leather strap!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Jan 2015, 14:44

cookie

28 Jan 2015, 14:53

Now we are talking! Love it with the leather strap and the price is nice too!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 Feb 2015, 23:36

BussoV6

10 Feb 2015, 03:59

Here's mine, a 3H Italia Quarzo watch. I also have a pocket watch somewhere. I will have to see if I can dig it up.

cookie

10 Feb 2015, 11:47

ramnes wrote: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/enclave-wa ... guest_open

I'm quite hesitating here!
That one is nice, but I think it is a bit to thin for my taste. And I kind of given up on wearing a watch, something I really miss when the battery in my phone is empty :)

Ohh btw. this one I gave my father on his 60s birthday:

mr_a500

13 Feb 2015, 18:14

BussoV6 wrote: Here's mine, a 3H Italia Quarzo watch. I also have a pocket watch somewhere. I will have to see if I can dig it up.

Isn't that watch... a bit too big? Watches that size always remind me of this:
TopSecret.jpg
"Top Secret!" (1984)

Incidentally, this is how I learned German:
You'd be surprised how often the phrase, "there is sauerkraut in my lederhosen" comes in handy.

seebart

13 Feb 2015, 18:32

mr_a500 wrote:
BussoV6 wrote: Here's mine, a 3H Italia Quarzo watch. I also have a pocket watch somewhere. I will have to see if I can dig it up.

Isn't that watch... a bit too big? Watches that size always remind me of this:
TopSecret.jpg
"Top Secret!" (1984)

Incidentally, this is how I learned German:
You'd be surprised how often the phrase, "there is sauerkraut in my lederhosen" comes in handy.
[emoji23] I'd love to hear your German! Top Secret is a great movie though.

Mal-2

13 Feb 2015, 19:37

mr_a500 wrote: You'd be surprised how often the phrase, "there is sauerkraut in my lederhosen" comes in handy.
About as often as "my hovercraft is full of eels" is used in Hungarian, I'd imagine. :mrgreen:

BussoV6

15 Feb 2015, 21:46

mr_a500 wrote: Isn't that watch... a bit too big?
This is the first wristwatch I have bought in a while and I didn't expect it to be that big when I bought it. :lol: I still like it though. It kind of reminds me of a Ferrari tachometer, but isn't quite as cheesy as some of the "racing-inspired" watches I've seen.

rindorbrot

16 Feb 2015, 20:18

Here is my everyday watch, a Citizen Eco Drive.
Nothing special but it works well for me.
citizen_ecodrive.jpg
citizen_ecodrive.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 17437 times

mr_a500

21 Feb 2015, 19:57

bhtooefr wrote: What I really want is a Ventura v.matic loga with a dark matte blue face and a Spring Drive movement, but that's not gonna happen (and neither is a v.matic loga (which only came in a black face) or a Spring Drive alone, for me). Minimalist slide rule chrono with the movement I find most interesting.

This is what the v.matic loga looks like:
The only watch magazine I ever bought (Feb. 2000 WatchTime) has an article about that very watch. I always just skipped by it because I thought the style was too plain, too busy and the watch too big. But after reading about the details, I have new appreciation for the rotating calculator. That could definitely come in handy. A dark blue face with Spring Drive movement - and Grand Seiko-style design and finishing - would certainly be interesting.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 21 Feb 2015, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

mr_a500

21 Feb 2015, 19:58

Speaking of Spring Drive, I just bought one of these:
(...can't buy any expensive keyboards for a while...)

seebart

21 Feb 2015, 20:04

nice mr_a500, Grand Seiko's are really nice watches. If Seiko were smart they would sell them in Europe too. You could have bought a few keyboard's for that nice GS![emoji16]

Here's my Sumo:

Return to “Off-topic”