Yes, androids do dream of electric sheep (or: Google on LSD)

BlueBär

20 Jun 2015, 13:02

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... tric-sheep

This was posted yesterday on /g/, thought it was pretty interesting.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jun 2015, 14:33

Hmm interesting and a little scary.

SL89

20 Jun 2015, 14:54

Skynet sure has a crazy imagination.

Nuum

20 Jun 2015, 15:15

:shock:

That's indeed interesting and a tiny bit creepy. I like the part with the dumbbell, where it "thinks" a muscular arm belongs to it. Stupid machines... :roll: Thanks for posting!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

21 Jun 2015, 07:01

This is creepy :( and in the hands of an incompetent company like "Oogle"....

Halvar

21 Jun 2015, 12:33

Incompetent? That's not my impression at all. In which way?

Regarding the Guardian article: it's interesting (or creepy) to think that our brains might work in kind of a similar way sometimes.

chzel

21 Jun 2015, 14:53

Actually our brains do work like that. We see something as a pattern and our brain tries to match it up to items it already knows. That's the reason why most optical illusions work. And that's why we see horses or faces in the clouds...
As for the dumbbell, if Google's database (it's previous experience) has pictures were the majority has a hand holding a dumbbel, it tries to match it's "perception" to that.

SL89

21 Jun 2015, 16:57

This makes sense, back when guitar hero was a thing, we'd play for hours. Then any vertical lines (patterns on floors as i walked, other computer screens, lines on a highway etc) all ended up looking like the distincitve guitar hero screen layout. When I was doing warranty I used to be able to see wiring diagrams when looking into nature, it was very surreal.

Return to “Off-topic”