Input Device Review Contest 2014

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

27 Feb 2014, 09:30

Back in office and just discussed with Matteo the results... Winners will be annouched soon and contacted ASAP by me for the prizes!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Feb 2014, 09:39

Okay guys, time to sum up.

Thanks to everybody for participating. I talked to CM and they agree that all the reviews are so well done that everybody get a prize.

Muirium and QWERTim picked the same winners making my decision totally irrelevant (but Compgeke you were my fist choice)

Best review overall: Wetto
Original device: Suka
Imagery: Kurk
CM award: Compgeke
Lucky bastard: davkol

Congratulations and thanks for making DT a better place for input devices!

Winners will be soon contacted by CM Bram.

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2014, 09:52

Congratulations to the winners. I learned a lot when reading these.

suka
frobiac

27 Feb 2014, 10:33

Wohoo! Congratulations to all other participants/winners :D

Thanks to CM for the generous prizes, the jury for taking the time and of course matt3o for bringing this to life!
Hopefully there will be a next time with more participants...

CeeSA

27 Feb 2014, 11:52

Unfortunately it was in sight, but it is still a disappointment
that the bloated afflicted with quite contentious statements review from wetto has won. As he stated the review was postet before in another forum... (having the rules in mind, the other participants do it better imo).

I also would rank davkol Savu review higher than wetto's review. Much more precise and more useful.

Own performance tests I missed unfortunately from any.

Congratulations to the other winners.

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2014, 12:01

I think contests are better decided by popular vote, anyway.

I liked Wetto's review best because of the explanations of things like LOD which helped me understand what was an excellent wide-ranging post. And his potentially contentious statements about manufacturers' trends didn't bother me because I haven't followed mice closely. My perspective was as an interested but non-expert reader. Certainly, other perspectives could yield different results. That's the advantage of a wider electorate, like the whole forum.

You should have joined the jury, CeeSA. We could have had quite the deliberation!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Feb 2014, 12:35

CeeSA you should have joined the jury... or write your own review. I don't like community votes because they are based on popularity and not on meritocracy, but there was such a small discussion about how to run the contest on the club's subforum that I picked what I thought was more logical.

My picks were different from those of the other jurors, but we have 5 awards and 5 participants, it was more "let's find a way to award dedication" than "are this review pictures actually better than the others?" I think in this regard everybody's happy

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2014, 12:38

Actually, I really did pick Kurk's review for his pictures! They helped show what he was talking about in those trackball designs. Same for Suka's notable subject. That multi axis controller is the one reviewed item I want now…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Feb 2014, 12:41

Muirium wrote:Actually, I really did pick Kurk's review for his pictures! They helped show what he was talking about in those trackball designs. Same for Suka's notable subject. That multi axis controller is the one reviewed item I want now…
thanks for sticking with me (kidding)

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2014, 12:42

You're welcome, as always.

davkol

27 Feb 2014, 12:59

gg

Thanks CM&DT for the contest.

I'm a lucky bastard.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

27 Feb 2014, 13:14

Congrats to all the winners... I will be sending you a PM with the request for all your contact info for the prizes to be send to before the end of this week!

And from my side a special thanks to the Jury and especially Matt3o who planned and organized this contest!

Kurk

27 Feb 2014, 21:37

Wow, I won a price :P
Glad I could broaden the scope of DT a bit ;) Thanks to DT, matt3o and CM for organizing this. It's a pity that there weren't more entries but, on the other hand, everyone's a winner now!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

28 Feb 2014, 09:34

Kurk wrote:Wow, I won a price :P
Glad I could broaden the scope of DT a bit ;) Thanks to DT, matt3o and CM for organizing this. It's a pity that there weren't more entries but, on the other hand, everyone's a winner now!
Enjoy your prize!

@ all: all winners have been contacted via PM for address info and prizes will be shipped asap!

@ winners: Let me know when you have received the prizes :D?

suka
frobiac

05 Mar 2014, 11:18

I received the Reaper yesterday and will try it during the next weeks, but so far it is quite impressive in look and feel, and I hope to make good use of the many extra configurable buttons for non-gaming apps, too.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

05 Mar 2014, 16:45

suka wrote:I received the Reaper yesterday and will try it during the next weeks, but so far it is quite impressive in look and feel, and I hope to make good use of the many extra configurable buttons for non-gaming apps, too.
Enjoy your price :mrgreen: !!!

davkol

06 Mar 2014, 23:52

The xornet has arrived, thanks CM Bram!

I've posted some comparison potato pictures with Logitech G9x in a separate thread (link).

Compgeke

07 Mar 2014, 00:09

Hmm yes.

I do at least know where it's going, unlike with my laptop where I had to take quite a few trips around to the UPS offices to find out where they redirected it. Unfortunately I can't get them to change the redirect address as it's a "commercial address."

Compgeke

07 Mar 2014, 05:12

Couple quick shots of the mouse. I'll take pics of the switch tester later.

Edit:
Still using it just fine.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

17 Mar 2014, 13:35

Compgeke wrote:Couple quick shots of the mouse. I'll take pics of the switch tester later.

Edit:
Still using it just fine.

Your pics not working for me? :(

Compgeke

17 Mar 2014, 15:34

Yeah, almost all of my images are down at the moment. Unfortunately the guy hosting everything suffered a random hard drive failure, the kind that had no warning symptoms in SMART or anything but he is working on restoring it.

wetto

03 Apr 2014, 14:59

The mouse and mousepad arrived last week, but I haven't had much time lately, so I hadn't taken the pictures yet. And yes, CM Brazil sure took their time to send this stuff.

Cooler Master Brazil did not have the CM Storm Control-RX, thus they sent the CM Storm Speed-RX L and told me they'd also send the Control-RX as soon as they got one.

Overall, I really liked the mousepad, but not much the CM Storm Reaper, but I was going to give it as a present to a friend who hasn't got any gaming mouse anyway.

Shame that the keycaps haven't arrived yet :cry:

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

07 Apr 2014, 13:19

wetto wrote:The mouse and mousepad arrived last week, but I haven't had much time lately, so I hadn't taken the pictures yet. And yes, CM Brazil sure took their time to send this stuff.

Cooler Master Brazil did not have the CM Storm Control-RX, thus they sent the CM Storm Speed-RX L and told me they'd also send the Control-RX as soon as they got one.

Overall, I really liked the mousepad, but not much the CM Storm Reaper, but I was going to give it as a present to a friend who hasn't got any gaming mouse anyway.

Shame that the keycaps haven't arrived yet :cry:

Hey indeed they told me they had no Control RX at this time.. Hope this Speed RX will do untill then! What did you like and what not on the Reaper if I may ask ... :)?

Elrick

01 May 2014, 05:21

wetto wrote:Overall, I really liked the mousepad, but not much the CM Storm Reaper, but I was going to give it as a present to a friend who hasn't got any gaming mouse anyway.
Would you mind letting us know here, why you don't like the CM Storm Reaper?

Here in Aus, it's an expensive input device and I had my eye on getting one BUT now I would like to know why you seem hesitant about it.

Very curious to know your viewpoint of this latest mouse from CM......

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

01 May 2014, 09:50

Elrick wrote:
wetto wrote:Overall, I really liked the mousepad, but not much the CM Storm Reaper, but I was going to give it as a present to a friend who hasn't got any gaming mouse anyway.

Here in Aus, it's an expensive input device and I had my eye on getting one BUT now I would like to know why you seem hesitant about it.

If you have any questions regarding spec just send me a PM and I will see what I can do to help you! Im not that aware of Aus media so maybe there are some media's who did a nice review :)?

the1onewolf

29 May 2014, 01:48

Elrick wrote:

I'm guessing that it's probably too heavy and it uses an avago 9800 sensor too

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

05 Jun 2014, 16:25

Heavy? Thats personal preference imho but the actual weight of the Reaper is: 145g total (body weight only 111g). Which is not super crazy right?

But it indeed uses the Avago 9800 laser ;-)

the1onewolf

06 Jun 2014, 23:43

CM Bram wrote:
Heavy? Thats personal preference imho but the actual weight of the Reaper is: 145g total (body weight only 111g). Which is not super crazy right?

But it indeed uses the Avago 9800 laser ;-)
I wouldn't disagree with that personally, but I do have the impression that among the enthusiast community there is an overwhelming consensus (perhaps unfortunately) towards lighter and "smaller" devices that are easier to lift.

I just wish the IME 3 would come back :lol:

Return to “Mice & other input devices”