Qtronix Libra 90 Net - mini review

ShivaYash

28 Jun 2015, 22:52

Dear all,

This is not a full review by any stretch, I've not had this device for long enough to warrant that, however I am, three days in, falling in love.

Three main reasons for this.

1. Tracking
2. Build quality
3. Price

This device is new OLD stock, I got it from eBay UK for £5.80, including postage. It came fully boxed and sealed, with a floppy disk with the driver and an instruction manual.

I plugged it into my iMac 27 and off it went. The Belkin dual PS/2 adapter worked a treat, although it likes to be plugged into the computer and not a hub, I have no idea why.

With a few clicks of KARABINER, I had it set up to my liking and its now my firm IBM SSK companion.

The device comes with a wrist sliding wrist rest and fixed cable. Its not heavy but with its high quality rubber feet, it does not move around on my desk at all. It feels well made and robust. The trackball is heavy and highly polished, like many others I'm sure. So far I've only cleaned it once, more of a polish than a clean. The rollers are metal and the clip ring is easy to remove for cleaning purposes.

This is my first trackball and so far, I am very happy with its performance. As many know, I am not a gamer but a writer. Trackballs are great for scanning long documents, and although there is not scroll lock as sure, I've set the middle button to be a scroll button, and I hope in the next few days, to obtain a private.xml file to allow a scroll lock feature. More anon.

I've used for many years an Evoluent vertical mouse on my main machine, and its great, but now after six years of use, is showing its age. The tracking is still spot on but when I'm in the midsts of work, with many source books open (READ MESSY DESK), having a trackball, (something that is stationary) just seemed like a better way forward.

This is a 400DPI device and three buttons with tactile feedback, and for for my use it seems fine. I have two monitors, one 30 inch and one 27 inch, and the response is fast. I'd actually prefer it to be a tad faster but System Prefs is maxed out, but perhaps there is a little add on app that will allow fine tuning. I'll have a to take a look in the future.

Whilst I am a brand-whore and would like a CH Products trackball, for the time being, this Qtronix is working nicely and if anyone else wishes to try a vintage product, they are available for little money on eBay. I'd recommend you take the risk and try it for yourself. I should add that this product is now made by / distributed by a company called iOne. They sell a USB version in black, but I only ventured down this route due to the insignificant cost outlay, including the new Belkin adapter, also new OLD stock purchased from another seller on eBay, I spent just over £10. Where I live, that is the price of two artisan coffees and a pastry!

I hope this is useful to others wishing to try a trackball.

With best wishes,

SY
London

Article not proofed to please accept my apologies for typos -
Last edited by ShivaYash on 29 Jun 2015, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2015, 23:27

Pictures, Shiva! And what's this about setting up a mouse in Karabiner? Go show us!

ShivaYash

29 Jun 2015, 10:11

Yes of course!
IMG_2317.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg (253.19 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
As for KARABINER... see these settings:
Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 11.45.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 11.45.32 AM.png (95.39 KiB) Viewed 5405 times

andrewjoy

29 Jun 2015, 10:57

Thanks

I just got one on ebay for £7

there is one left if anyone want one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qtronix-ergon ... 20fd746784

HzFaq

29 Jun 2015, 11:11

I was tempted, but if the CST has taught me anything it's that I need a dedicated scroll wheel. I'd be all over it otherwise, it looks like a nice bit of kit.

andrewjoy

29 Jun 2015, 11:16

Thats why i am getting this , the middle button on the CST i don't think you can re-map it so i can use it to middle click to scroll like this fine chap :)

ShivaYash

29 Jun 2015, 14:11

andrewjoy wrote: Thanks

I just got one on ebay for £7

there is one left if anyone want one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qtronix-ergon ... 20fd746784
Also, Takayama, the developer of Karabiner just sent me a private.xml giving me scroll lock on the middle button. I'm at work but look forward to trying it out tonight. Will report back with the results.

PS. I'm happy to share this Andrew, so please message me your email address if you require it.

ShivaYash

29 Jun 2015, 14:14

Just to say, as an FYI, this device did not work with the PS/2 blue cube adapter.

andrewjoy

29 Jun 2015, 16:30

Blue cube is keyboard only.

I have a 1/2 decent lindy one that works well at the moment RS232 > PS2 > USB :P

ShivaYash

29 Jun 2015, 20:36

andrewjoy wrote: Blue cube is keyboard only.

I have a 1/2 decent lindy one that works well at the moment RS232 > PS2 > USB :P
I didn't know that - silly me.

I can confirm the private.xml if f***ing awesome. Works an absolute treat. Now if only the trackpad had four buttons, then I could have a dedicated scroll lock button along side an ad hoc one ;)

Muirium
µ

29 Jun 2015, 23:12

Man, it has to go and look nice alongside an SSK…

andrewjoy

29 Jun 2015, 23:37

there is one left . you know you want to

ShivaYash

30 Jun 2015, 00:16

Muirium wrote: Man, it has to go and look nice alongside an SSK…
You don't think it does?

I think its rather charming... but I might be getting my hands on a DT225 for £125... anyone interested?
http://deskthority.net/other-f61/intere ... 11025.html

ShivaYash

30 Jun 2015, 15:31

So maybe I was a little too quick off the mark, my trackball is now not playing nice, and this has happened several times today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldr-AFjub6Y

Just the slightly touch it goes nuts and VOICEOVER starts... any ideas?

A conflict somewhere... but how to fix it?

ShivaYash

04 Jul 2015, 01:30

Fixed...!

KARABINER allows a specify device filter to stop the conflict.

ShivaYash

04 Jul 2015, 01:31

andrewjoy wrote: there is one left . you know you want to
Happy with it?

Return to “Mice & other input devices”