IBM 5100 Beam spring keyboard

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Oct 2015, 02:49

These photos are from a restoration project some time ago. I actually just saw this forum section so I'm guessing I should put photos here and not in the "Keyboard" section? Sorry about that.

Below are some pictures of the beam spring keyboard. You will note that normally this keyboard has a thin black plastic/rubber cover over the key switches because these are prone to dust and you will also notice the dirt and dust on the bottom side of the key caps. My black cover was shredded with pieces all over so I removed it. As such, you can see the key switches clearly minus the protective cover.

Sadly, my 5100 is not yet working so when I find some parts, I'll be back at it. I'll post some links below to my blog posts with plenty more pictures if anyone is interested.

Pictures:
IBM 5100 - front
IBM 5100 - front
IBM-5100-front.jpg (145.23 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IBM 5100 - overhead view
IBM 5100 - overhead view
IBM-5100-overhead view.jpg (492.4 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IBM 5100 - before clean up
IBM 5100 - before clean up
IBM-5100-before clean up.jpg (378.61 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IBM 5100 - key switches
IBM 5100 - key switches
IBM-5100-keyswitches.jpg (255.21 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IBM 5100 - keyswitches close up
IBM 5100 - keyswitches close up
IBM-5100-keyswitches close up.jpg (405.38 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IBM 5100 - key caps top
IBM 5100 - key caps top
IBM-5100-key caps top.jpg (258.43 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IBM 5100 - key caps top profile
IBM 5100 - key caps top profile
IBM-5100-key caps top profile.jpg (223.53 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IBM 5100 - key caps bottom
IBM 5100 - key caps bottom
IBM-5100-key caps bottom.jpg (235.73 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
Pics before the clean up: http://vintagecomputer.ca/ibm-5100-before/
Pics after: http://vintagecomputer.ca/ibm-5100-in-pictures/

Enjoy.

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 03:01

Beautiful board. One of the smallest beamsprings around. But that far off-centre display! I get a crick in my neck just thinking about it.

24 KILOS?? Holy batguano, batman.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Oct 2015, 03:12

Muirium wrote: 24 KILOS?? Holy batguano, batman.
Look up my IBM 5120. I still haven't moved it from the first floor :)

That, of course, is my second beam spring keyboard (technically) but I have not taken this keyboard apart at all because it is already clean and the computer works perfectly. I'll try to add a picture of it tomorrow when the sun is just right over top of it because, Lord knows, I'm not moving it ;)

These two computers are gems in my collection no matter what keyboard is in them. A few months ago, I didn't even know what those key switches were. I was curious, however, if they were the same as my Model M's. That's when I found out that they were different.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Oct 2015, 13:40

Impressive. Again! Your vintage collection is becoming "scary" in a good way snuci! Too bad another Canadian who is very much into vintage keyboards isn't around to see all this. You know who I mean Mu.

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2015, 14:13

Yeah, hopefully he's just taking some time off our ongoing (mock) tiff, rather than lost at sea

I've got a bunch of tabs open now about these historic IBM portables. I was about to say luggable, but I'm not sure that's even the right word for things that weigh more than my old 21" CRT!

seebart

14 Oct 2015, 14:22

I guess people were a little more tenacious back in the day but I don't see this being "luggable" either.

MECHGAMER

14 Oct 2015, 20:34

Nice system. Maybe some more shots of its internals and components would be nice. Imagine what that tiny screen would do to your eyes and back! :lol: Keyboard looks pretty good, as well.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Oct 2015, 21:15

MECHGAMER wrote: Nice system. Maybe some more shots of its internals and components would be nice. Imagine what that tiny screen would do to your eyes and back! :lol: Keyboard looks pretty good, as well.
Thanks. Please look at the bottom of the first post after the pictures. I have two blog posts with more pictures there.

terrycherry

15 Oct 2015, 02:07

Thank you so much! Important picture to me. I'm never seen the back of beam spring keycap before.
Could you assemble the switch if necessary.

mr_a500

16 Oct 2015, 17:17

Muirium wrote: Yeah, hopefully he's just taking some time off our ongoing (mock) tiff, rather than lost at sea
I've had some scary moments, but I'm still alive. (5km of sand in PEI, no humans visible)
beach.JPG
Here's a sample of one of the easier sailing days, off the coast of PEI. Excuse the overly dramatic music and crap filming. (it's tricky steering, watching the wind and balancing on the boat while trying to film)
seebart wrote: Impressive. Again! Your vintage collection is becoming "scary" in a good way snuci! Too bad another Canadian who is very much into vintage keyboards isn't around to see all this. You know who I mean Mu.
I've just come around to see all this. Yes, snuci's collection is scary... and very annoying. I'm both pleased to see all these historic computers in Canada, yet at the same time violently jealous that a fellow Canadian has better stuff than I do. :x :P

I saw the geekhack IMSAI keyboard posts a while ago and used them to figure out the switches in the IKB-1. I'm grateful for that because knowing it's Hi-Tek makes me lose all desire to kill myself finding one. I've already got a very nice looking (yet lousy feeling) Hi-Tek keyboard.

I see the 5100 is the BASIC model. It's a pity it's not working. Parts are extremely hard to find and incredibly expensive when available.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 11 Apr 2016, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.

seebart

16 Oct 2015, 17:29

Well good to have you back you grumpy Canadian! We've had quite a bit of cool vintage posts lately, you'll find them on your own.

Of course I'll pimp my own grand threads:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/mic ... ilit=micro

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/mic ... ilit=micro

mr_a500

16 Oct 2015, 17:35

Thanks for the links. I'll check it out. I'll also look for more of snuci's stuff.

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 18:04

Ah, he's back!

mr_a500

16 Oct 2015, 18:51

Arrr!

Great. Now you have me thinking of the "Under the Sea" song:

"There'll be no accusations, just friendly crustaceans... under the seaaaa"

(The crustaceans around PEI were far from friendly.)

snoopy

16 Oct 2015, 21:15

Did you travel through time to acquire this IBM 5100?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Oct 2015, 22:38

snoopy wrote: Did you travel through time to acquire this IBM 5100?
No. Three important facts to consider...
1. I am not John Titor
2. He needed one that did APL and this one only does BASIC.
3. I have one and he does not :)
Last edited by snuci on 16 Oct 2015, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Oct 2015, 22:44

As mentioned above, here's my IBM 5120. Same beam spring keyboard but a slightly different color scheme. I have not taken this apart other than a light internal cleaning and re-seating of internal boards and connectors. It works fine as is so why mess with it?
IBM 5120 - computer
IBM 5120 - computer
IBM 5120 - computer 2.jpg (345.75 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
IBM 5120 - keyboard
IBM 5120 - keyboard
IBM 5120 - keyboard.jpg (350.83 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
IBM 5120 - keyboard close up
IBM 5120 - keyboard close up
IBM 5120 - keyboard close up.jpg (409.94 KiB) Viewed 4995 times

mr_a500

16 Oct 2015, 22:45

You don't have to be John Titor to travel through time. Anyway, John Titor has never existed. I know this because I travelled back in time, killed his grandfather to prevent him from being born and totally fucked up his timeline. He didn't see that one coming.

Good thing my beam spring has APL symbols on it.

mr_a500

16 Oct 2015, 23:12

snuci wrote: As mentioned above, here's my IBM 5120.
Nice. I had a chance recently to get an IBM System/23 Datamaster - with the very first Model F - but gave it up at the last second because I was worried about shipping. (quite naturally)
IBM ad.JPG
The 5120 is much nicer though.

See the look on the guy's face in the ad. He's trying to be casual, but has a look like he's ready to say, "Just fucking hurry up and take the damn picture! This bastard is heavy!"

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Oct 2015, 23:50

mr_a500 wrote: Nice. I had a chance recently to get an IBM System/23 Datamaster - with the very first Model F - but gave it up at the last second because I was worried about shipping. (quite naturally)
The IBM System/23 Datamaster is definitely on my want list. It's a transition machine from the 5100 series to the 5150. Shipping for this was about $450 via UPS coming from Illinois. It was worth it because I got it for the price of shipping.
mr_a500 wrote: See the look on the guy's face in the ad. He's trying to be casual, but has a look like he's ready to say, "Just fucking hurry up and take the damn picture! This bastard is heavy!"
Shipping was that expensive because it, naturally, was heavy. I'm sure the UPS guy wasn't impressed at about 110 lbs for the computer and a second box with the printer at about 60 - 70 lbs.

I also had the opportunity for the 5110 external disk drive but that was even heavier so I had to give up on that one. The 5120 is a beautiful example of period computing.

mr_a500

17 Oct 2015, 01:35

$450 shipping by UPS? That's pretty severe. I hope you didn't have "brokerage" problems. I avoid UPS like the plague because of their rip-off brokerage fees.

Yes, the IBM System/23 Datamaster is historically significant - first Model F and it was designed by the same team that went on to make the PC directly after.

Here's my favourite picture of the APL IBM 5100:
5100apl.jpg

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Oct 2015, 15:25

Apparently we went to the same beach?? I was there a few weeks ago. But it's in France!? :?

mr_a500

18 Oct 2015, 15:32

I love beaches with no humans within eyesight range. But notice all the footprints above the water line. On the 5km sand island I was on, there wasn't a single footprint anywhere.

I know those footprints in the photo aren't yours because you'd leave duck prints.

Return to “Gallery”