IBM SSK club!

iAmAhab

08 Nov 2013, 22:21

Can't wait until mine arrives. The only time I've tried buckling spring was on a IBM typewriter, it felt good.

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2013, 23:50

Leaping straight to an SSK? That's the spirit! Even if you don't like it, they're in high demand and always sell fast. It's like buying an HHKB without trying one first. Not as big a risk as it first looks!

nourathar

09 Nov 2013, 00:30

I can certainly recommend it, I vaguely remember an IBM system at where I studied mid nineties, so I must have typed on it..
But my first conscious buckling spring experience is on this SSK here and I do get to understand why people like them so much...

scottc

12 Dec 2013, 23:52

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I would like to submit my application to join the esteemed SSK club. :ugeek:

Please find attached a blurry phone picture of it on a desk this afternoon as part of my application.

Kind regards, etc etc etc

:mrgreen:

wheybags

12 Dec 2013, 23:57

:3
Scott's one above is one of these :P

scottc

13 Dec 2013, 00:02

Fine, fine, you win! I still think you should've put them in the shape of an "M", though.

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 00:07

It's been done:
(From Webwit's own collection.)

Anyway, thanks for reminding me. Here's my one and only SSK, trying on some caps for the day.
IMG_3446.jpeg
IMG_3446.jpeg (245.06 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
Apparently communism's back in fashion.

wheybags

13 Dec 2013, 00:12

jesus, dat webwit pic

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 00:26

He has a lot of floorspace, I'll give him that.

I have about 3 of those boards. Hmm…

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Dec 2013, 00:27

The best/worst part is, that is not my entire IBM collection. But I couldn't fit IBM in the picture (which is taken from climbing to the ceiling).

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 00:29

A tiny violin plays just for you.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Dec 2013, 00:30

Thank you for feeling my pain. :mrgreen:

litster

13 Dec 2013, 06:29

webwit, I want to take away your pain. Let me help you.

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

13 Dec 2013, 13:30

I have an amazing large room (somewhere ...) and if you ship them to me I can take the whole IBM in one shot :twisted:

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 14:18

This is what happens when you put your money into keyboards instead of fancy pants wide angle lenses.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Dec 2013, 14:23

Next summer I will take them into the garden and climb into a tree.

Compgeke

13 Dec 2013, 16:27

Muirium wrote:This is what happens when you put your money into keyboards instead of fancy pants wide angle lenses.
No, 14 is still too big. Need 10.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YYDF7W

Muirium
µ

13 Dec 2013, 16:41

Fisheye vs. rectilinear. With that 10, most of Webwit's IBMs would look like radical curved ergos! Rectilinears cost the big bucks because they keep things straight… ish. Wide angle lenses are seriously heavy glass because they've got their work cut out for them.

iAmAhab

06 Jan 2014, 18:20

Guess what showed up today, and customs did not even finger me. Make room, I'm joining the club.

First impressions are good, a bit filthy, but nothing a good clean will not fix. How does one usually go about cleaning these boards? Tips are welcome.

Both feet/raisers are present

I'm guessing IBM did not expect people using these after 20 years

Unfortunately the board did not come with a SDL cable, and seeing as this is my first Model M I don't have one lying around.
So if the board is actually working is yet to be seen. If you have got one to spare, please get in touch. Might try to open it later on and check on the status of the rivets if I have any tools that fit the nuts the shell is closed with.

mr_a500

06 Jan 2014, 19:43

Muirium wrote:This is what happens when you put your money into keyboards instead of fancy pants wide angle lenses.
That reminds me... I need to buy some wide angle lenses and some fancy pants.

Muirium
µ

06 Jan 2014, 20:38

Everyone needs fancy pants.

That reminds me: I don't think I officially entered the club by posting a picture in this thread yet. So here:
The SSK is actually one of my larger keyboards as I'm also in the Kishsaver club now, but that's another story!
The SSK has some 122 key terminal caps on in the top corner as I try to work out what I'd best like there.

Ahab: They clean up pretty good. And so long as all your keys are clicky, the chances are very good the whole thing works. You could cheat by avoiding an SDL cable entirely, if you like, by building Soarer's Converter inside your SSK's case. The SDL socket joins to the SSK's controller board by a little cable, which you could swap for a Teensy and a mini USB cable or socket. I use all my IBMs through Soarer's converter anyway and I highly recommend it for adding layers and all the rest.

dustinhxc

11 Feb 2014, 21:00

Muirium wrote:Everyone needs fancy pants.

That reminds me: I don't think I officially entered the club by posting a picture in this thread yet. So here:
The SSK is actually one of my larger keyboards as I'm also in the Kishsaver club now, but that's another story!
The SSK has some 122 key terminal caps on in the top corner as I try to work out what I'd best like there.

Ahab: They clean up pretty good. And so long as all your keys are clicky, the chances are very good the whole thing works. You could cheat by avoiding an SDL cable entirely, if you like, by building Soarer's Converter inside your SSK's case. The SDL socket joins to the SSK's controller board by a little cable, which you could swap for a Teensy and a mini USB cable or socket. I use all my IBMs through Soarer's converter anyway and I highly recommend it for adding layers and all the rest.
Oh man.. All 3 are beautiful boards sir.

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2014, 21:15

Thanks. I'm all about small footprint, space saving keyboards…
Spoiler:
The SSK's still my reigning favourite. But there are challengers!

dustinhxc

12 Feb 2014, 12:06

Muirium wrote:Thanks. I'm all about small footprint, space saving keyboards…
Spoiler:
Beautiful photo! I love my hhkb and I hope to get a clean SSK one day!

Muirium
µ

12 Feb 2014, 12:27

Thanks! I got my SSK from China, via Tinnie. Needed a bit of cleaning but functionally good. But if you fancy a real treat: there are some NIB SSKs showing up today…

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... ml#p147409

phosphorglow

12 Feb 2014, 23:25

Muirium wrote:Thanks. I'm all about small footprint, space saving keyboards…
Spoiler:
The very pretty SE/30 is my favorite out of that little line up... :P

rzwv

13 Feb 2014, 17:38

2016569-001.jpg
2016569-001.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
SpaceSaver84key…Although I do not have, the early model has 1 key size like NMB HI-TEK in Ctrl and Alt.
Spoiler:
私は持っていませんが、初期のモデルはCtrlとAltがNMB HI-TEKの様に1キーサイズになっています。
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cf ... /id/120575

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

07 Mar 2014, 00:38

While I wait for round 5: just bolt modded with the iso twist and new clean caps.
This is the s**t...
Now giving my fingers a good workout :D

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2014, 00:41

Since you've just been in there, do you know if the SSK has two barrels behind Backspace, so I could potentially gain an extra key up there? I use mine exclusively through Soarer's Converter, so I'm always looking for more keys available to program…

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

07 Mar 2014, 00:49

Muirium wrote:Since you've just been in there, do you know if the SSK has two barrels behind Backspace, so I could potentially gain an extra key up there? I use mine exclusively through Soarer's Converter, so I'm always looking for more keys available to program…
Yes there are two barrels for the backspace, just don't know if there is a contact for another key in the membrane.
A picture of the membrane will clear that up, only I did not do it :(

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53709.0
shows the M membrane and there is a contact there, so I assume the ssk will too.

Return to “Gallery”