IBM SSK club!

snoopy

09 May 2014, 21:34

Welcome to the club dubs! :)

Muirium
µ

09 May 2014, 22:42

Dubsgalore wrote:The second I bought on craigslist...drove an hour there and back to meet up with this stranger and buy his SSK...was a weird experience. Nice guy but a little off. anyways he gave me a super good deal but the board is very dirty. seems to be in good condition. It did come with black caps...and I don't think they came from an M13..but I know jack about IBM so i really can't say.
Black caps on an SSK: interesting!

Dubsgalore

10 May 2014, 05:18

Muirium wrote: Black caps on an SSK: interesting!

upon closer inspection and after one day of use, I can say that they are from a black M13 :roll:
snoopy wrote:Welcome to the club dubs! :)

thanks, I'm loving it so far 8-)

E TwentyNine

14 May 2014, 22:39

Those white on blacks came from an M13. You can see the notch on the H key in the picture.

(Ninja edit while I was posting I see...:) )

phosphorglow

15 May 2014, 06:38

I suppose I never actually "joined the club" - the only photo I posted here a while back was a bunch of parts. So here's my personal traveling SSK. (One-piece keys are totally awesome for sliding it into your laptop bag without worrying about caps popping off.)

(...I'm practicing my Photoshop background replacing skills. I'm getting tired of seeing my clean boring workbench in my photos. :P)

Compgeke

15 May 2014, 19:23

My advice is pick up a couple 250W+ lights and a couple assorted pieces of heavy fabric, such as black, blue, white, etc. Being able to do manual mode is a bit useful - not sure how well the (white) Galaxy S4 does at that. Having fairly even lighting also helps when replacing the background.

phosphorglow

15 May 2014, 21:24

Compgeke wrote:My advice is pick up a couple 250W+ lights and a couple assorted pieces of heavy fabric, such as black, blue, white, etc. Being able to do manual mode is a bit useful - not sure how well the (white) Galaxy S4 does at that. Having fairly even lighting also helps when replacing the background.

Thanks for the tips!
And thanks for reminding me that EXIF stores all sorts of fun stuff. :P
My DSLR is finicky as crap and way obsolete (Canon 300D!) so the S4 is a very convenient alternative.

The S4 does have manual control over the ISO, exposure compensation, and manual focus to a degree.

Compgeke

16 May 2014, 06:30

300D? I own the same camera - the 550D I've been using isn't mine. I do agree that it's not all that useful for most things thanks to the slowness and not-that-great noise - unless you're in the snow in the daylight in which case it works great. Mine loves cold weather for some reason.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2014, 11:54

My 350D can lord it over someone at last, at laaaast! How I have been waiting for this day!

Anyway, the trick is to pick an ISO that works – mine spends almost all its time in 400 – and to learn how to really use light. More modern cameras let you pull off fancier tricks in bad conditions, but these old guys are perfectly powerful if you can guess beforehand what will work and what needs recomposition…

wheybags

16 May 2014, 13:23

phosphorglow wrote:I suppose I never actually "joined the club" - the only photo I posted here a while back was a bunch of parts. So here's my personal traveling SSK. (One-piece keys are totally awesome for sliding it into your laptop bag without worrying about caps popping off.)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

(...I'm practicing my Photoshop background replacing skills. I'm getting tired of seeing my clean boring workbench in my photos. :P)
What happened above the pause key? :(
Also, do you have red felt over your barrel plate? :D

Muirium
µ

16 May 2014, 13:25

That'd be quite cool, naturally! But I think it's just artefacts from chroma key.

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 May 2014, 02:01

Maybe - if the gods are in a good mood - i will join this exclusive club!

Daniel Beardsmore

29 May 2014, 02:07

Compgeke wrote:300D? I own the same camera - the 550D I've been using isn't mine. I do agree that it's not all that useful for most things thanks to the slowness and not-that-great noise - unless you're in the snow in the daylight in which case it works great. Mine loves cold weather for some reason.
It must surely at least be able to outdo my nine-year-old Pentax Optio S5z many times over!

kako

29 May 2014, 23:41

If anyone has a ticket to join this club for sale, I would love to take it off your hands. PM me, don't be shy.

NVM, found it.
Last edited by kako on 03 Aug 2014, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.

Dubsgalore

30 May 2014, 22:49

still in love with my SSK and using it everyday..

Hypersphere

30 May 2014, 22:57

Dubsgalore, I like the depiction of your SSK in a neo film noir look. It would be even better without the harsh white light from the screen.

xyzzy

09 Jun 2014, 22:30

Here's the SSK I received today, a '91 vintage ANSI 1391472.

Great companion to my other SSK (an ISO layout UNI04C6), despite being more than 10 years older it actually feels better and more consistent thanks to the work of love of phosphorglow, who gave it a new life. Really loving it!
gnrssk5.jpg
gnrssk5.jpg (499.01 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
Sorry for the bad quality of the photo, there are more here: http://phosphorglow.net/2014/05/21/grun ... -4th-1991/

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2014, 22:42

Phosphor really knows what he's doing. Someday I'll save up enough for a nice one from him, too. These little guys are truly battle tested keyboards, good for the long haul.

Madhias
BS TORPE

12 Jun 2014, 15:39

Better late then never! I would like to join this exclusive club too. The SSK i have got is in really good condition - as far as i can tell. I did not make that much pictures until now.

The build quality is impressive, i would have never expected that look and feel in reality as i only saw pictures and videos online until now. Also the sound of these BS switches is great, much better than the click of MX Greens or Blues (if a comparison can be made or is allowed; but the MX Greens are really a little bit similar).

Next step will be to use this bastard, and i have a feeling that this will be a daily driver. I think i will use a Teensy with Soarers converter, but i am not really sure. Otherwise to use an original cable is nice, so i have to think of.

There is the ESC key missing, and on it's place there's a strange cap with a skull :)

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2014, 15:49

Nice picture. I like that you didn't make it all about the little red guy! He stands out well enough deep in bokeh.

I'm half way through writing up a how to guide for building an external Soarer box. That way you can use your original cable, as I do.

Madhias
BS TORPE

12 Jun 2014, 15:59

I think i saw already your project, but maybe i'm mixing up something! That would be really great, because i do not really want to "destroy" the original look. This is not a keyboard which i would take to work and back home riding my bicycle every day. Much too heavy. So i would not attach and detach cables all the time.

The red little guy is like the tip of the iceberg, the cream topping. I wanted to buy a SSK, and sometimes get a special artisan cap. This was like killing two birds with a stone, the price with shipping nice, a good offer in my opinion. Also it's my birthday present to myself...

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2014, 16:28

The SSK is definitely one of those landmark boards. I made my converter box last year and I've been using it daily since then. Just haven't gotten around to documenting it properly until now. Recommended piece of kit especially if you have several classic boards you want to use without modification.

Hypersphere

12 Jun 2014, 16:37

Muirium wrote:The SSK is definitely one of those landmark boards. I made my converter box last year and I've been using it daily since then. Just haven't gotten around to documenting it properly until now. Recommended piece of kit especially if you have several classic boards you want to use without modification.
We are eagerly awaiting your illustrated guide to building a switchable converter box! Will you be posting this as a new thread?

Dubsgalore

12 Jun 2014, 16:42

Nice Madhias! How's it feel?

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2014, 17:07

Hypersphere wrote:Will you be posting this as a new thread?
Yes, in the Workshop. But first I have some Photoshop to do to choose and trim the pictures so they'll fit. Also need to make a diagram for the rotary switch. But I'm guessing not everyone needs to make a multi mode box like I did. Way simpler without.

HAL

26 Jul 2014, 10:26

Have a great weekend everyone
Attachments
This shot cost me about € 2000 (ebay, shipping, customs)
This shot cost me about € 2000 (ebay, shipping, customs)
4_SSK_1024x576.jpg (129.62 KiB) Viewed 7165 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

26 Jul 2014, 10:55

The dark grey one arrived already? That was fast!
[EDIT] How much was the customs fee? I've also ordered another SSK at ebay, which is already on it's way.

You definitely have to make a proper picture of these beauties ;) If you need a good camera, i could help!

HAL

26 Jul 2014, 21:39

madhias wrote: The dark grey one arrived already? That was fast!
[EDIT] How much was the customs fee? I've also ordered another SSK at ebay, which is already on it's way.
I was surprised usually it takes about a month. Customs fee was 224 € :cry:
madhias wrote: If you need a good camera, i could help!
Thanks a lot. It is not the camera. I try to take all my keyboard pictures with natural light. And I have not quite mastered the low light scenarios (yet).
Attachments
1395682, after cleaning
1395682, after cleaning
IBM_Model_M_industrial_SSK_1395682_1993-01-07_front_1024x576.jpg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 7122 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Jul 2014, 11:16

HAL wrote: Thanks a lot. It is not the camera. I try to take all my keyboard pictures with natural light. And I have not quite mastered the low light scenarios (yet).
Low light is always nice, i didn't want to criticize, the 4 SSK image just looks a little bit too soft for my taste (maybe because the focus is on the IBM patches). The dark and kind of evil lightning is just great for an image like that.

BTW, I also wanted to make a "my son and me doing keyboard stuff..." image, which ended up in a great yelling and chaos. In the back is my SSK waiting to be finished, to be connected all the time with USB.
Spoiler:

Muirium
µ

27 Jul 2014, 12:24

Same here for natural light. Fake stuff just doesn't work right, to my eye. At least not without an enormous effort that I can't be bothered learning. Patience, and the right light will come naturally.

Moody, shadowy shots can work well with a tripod (so you can try multiple takes with different apertures) and a levels boost in your editor at the end. I set my old camera to underexpose by one full stop anyway, as its metering is bad, so boosting levels is as natural as cropping in my workflow. Can work wonders, and it's not even cheating!

Return to “Gallery”