IBM SSK club!

Madhias
BS TORPE

05 Nov 2014, 18:49

Only the spring is missing (and the feet is intact)?

Khers

05 Nov 2014, 19:17

madhias wrote: Only the spring is missing (and the feet is intact)?
Correct sir!

Khers

05 Nov 2014, 19:29

Muirium wrote: Like most things Model M, Unicomp sells them:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/PVPLASM

I have a fair few spares, but shipping to Sweden is about 4 Euros from here. Your best fix would be if someone more local has some spares, too.

Nice bundle by the way: I've still no RGB mods, myself.
Thanks Mu!

Took the plunge and ordered some plates and springs... Thought that it might come in handy with some spares some day :)

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2014, 19:32

Get some APL "buttons" while you're at it. As I remember, Unicomp's international shipping is pretty steep on small stuff.

Khers

05 Nov 2014, 19:35

Would have gotten some, but I've already got a kit ;)

Unfortunately, I think that they are not as pretty as the original IBMs. As has been stated before (by you I think), Unicomp's are nice on their own but not so nice next to IBMs.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Nov 2014, 08:14

very nice Khers, welcome! I´m a junior member myself. ;)
Also, can't decide on whether to go original or to use RGB modifiers that came with the board, Think it's going to be original for now though...
I like original better!

t!ng
Awake Sheep

07 Nov 2014, 09:51

Hey Madhias, where do you have those nice "metallic surface" keycaps from?

Madhias
BS TORPE

07 Nov 2014, 10:22

Those are some Click Clack keycaps from a recent sale over GeekHack. There you could win these so called "Ckeckey Plate F2 Trophy Gold or Silver" caps and a golden skull (which is in the Deskthority header rotating) and a silver skull. I was lucky to win those metallic surface caps for buckling spring because in this sale the countries Austria and Australia were preferred (first come first serve).

I made several images of those caps, since they look gorgeous, and i love that somehow weird design:
Spoiler:

Khers

14 Jan 2015, 18:51

Updating my entry 8-)

Last edited by Khers on 14 Jan 2015, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

14 Jan 2015, 22:48

ok Khers very nice; I know the wintertime my be dark in Sweden but I want to SEE more of your SSK's, get some light in there! :mrgreen:

Khers

14 Jan 2015, 23:17

Haha, yes I agree, they turned out a bit dark (but that's not the only problem, the white balance is completely off and more). It's f**king dark outside when I come home from work, but there is a remedy for that; a large-ish aperture combined with high-ish ISO! Tried my best at fixing those, but I'm a rather lousy photographer to be honest...

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 23:20

I'm with you. Shooting stuff at night is a whole different game to natural daylight. One trick (I'm sure someone suggested it around here) is to aim your flash up at the ceiling to scatter a nice soft illumination down on the boards. Direct flash is horrible on plastic, but scatter is good.

seebart

14 Jan 2015, 23:24

looks to me like you already tweaked that picture, thanks. Great work! Now which one is the newer spacesaver? The "flash the celing" method actually works Mu unless you're in a very large room.

Khers

14 Jan 2015, 23:32

seebart wrote: looks to me like you already tweaked that picture, thanks. Great work! Now which one is the newer spacesaver? The "flash the celing" method actually works Mu unless you're in a very large room.
Yup, I updated the picture with a new one that I took just now :). It's still on the dark side maybe, but better...
Muirium wrote: I'm with you. Shooting stuff at night is a whole different game to natural daylight. One trick (I'm sure someone suggested it around here) is to aim your flash up at the ceiling to scatter a nice soft illumination down on the boards. Direct flash is horrible on plastic, but scatter is good.
I went for the turn on all lights you have in the room and put your subject in some open shadow option, which is another way of achieving a similar effect.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 23:33

Similar effect, but with worse white balance I find. Helps to have a white painted room, of course! My lights are all so "warm" yellow, though.

seebart

14 Jan 2015, 23:40

another easy thing to try is simply fix a piece of paper over your flash something like this:
IMG_20150114_233229.jpg
IMG_20150114_233229.jpg (250.16 KiB) Viewed 8343 times
with different thickness of white paper you can "diffuse" the flash as much as you like.

Khers

14 Jan 2015, 23:43

Yes, the white balance is always a bit of an issue when shooting indoors, especially if you have warm lights - something northerners seem to enjoy...

The paper trick would probably be good if I had a decent flash to begin with ;)

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 23:46

Yeah. I do actually have a decent external flash… decent 30 years ago when it was made. The thing chews up 4xAA batteries at a time like there's no tomorrow. The integrated flash in my Canon is one of those sneaky little things that pops up. No good for tricks or aiming.

People go for mellow lighting up here because we use it so often! People closer to the equator mostly just flip it on to find things in dark closets. They aren't bathing in its gloomy embrace anything like as long…

seebart

14 Jan 2015, 23:47

Khers wrote: The paper trick would probably be good if I had a decent flash to begin with ;)
forget the flash, you have 2(!) SSK's. 8-)

chzel

14 Jan 2015, 23:55

If your camera has custom white balance, try using that! It takes into consideration the actual light in the room, not what hue a technician though my beige painted room with warm CCFLs would impart at a picture! If I take a pic indoors with Auto or Tungsten WB, it usually comes out orangeish!

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 23:58

Custom white balance is where you take a picture of something white (or a grey card) and then tell the camera: you think you're so smart, huh, well compensate that!

It can also be done in post, if you have something neutral coloured in frame of course. Hint: not your SSK.

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Jan 2015, 09:40

Khers wrote: Updating my entry 8-)

The dark and moody shot was also very nice!

snoopy

30 Jan 2015, 22:43

Quick shot:

Wait, what?

Muirium
µ

31 Jan 2015, 01:30

Had a feeling those APLs were going on something fancypants. But the blue logo? It looks nice, and wrong too…

snoopy

31 Jan 2015, 02:08

wrong? But that's the ultra-rare one of a kind blue-label-apl-iso-industrial-ssk, worth at least 10.000$ - 12.000$

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Jan 2015, 02:30

Next in his sacrilege he'll put a clack on it!

seebart

31 Jan 2015, 10:08

Hmm snoopy, you're not pulling an "Ellipse"
on us are you :p

snoopy

31 Jan 2015, 13:38

seebart wrote: Hmm snoopy, you're not pulling an "Ellipse"
on us are you :p
I already received offers in the lower 10.000$ - 12.000$ range, but I'm a nice guy and I will wait for more bids, so everybody has a chance to obtain this unique piece of ibm history.

Serious:
I got this industrial without the logo, seems like the previous owner removed it, cause there were some glue rests and a little scratch next to the logo. And as it is impossible to find that silver on black logo, I put this blue on black on there. I think it looks really nice and I like it way more than without a logo.

Is this really a sacrilege? :twisted:

Muirium
µ

31 Jan 2015, 13:41

I hear he only takes offers in the Fibonacci sequence.

The original removal of the authentic industrial IBM logo was a sacrilege. Everything after that is mere decoration in the haunted hotel built on that burial ground!

andrewjoy

31 Jan 2015, 14:09

Please Sir. Can I join?

Return to “Gallery”