Random keyboards, lovingly photographed

scottc

12 Jan 2015, 01:24

Those Unicomps are actually quite cute. I don't know why they've got the cut-out for the trackpoint buttons, though... That and the bizarre modifiers. Classic Unicomp!

LLRnR
\m/

12 Jan 2015, 12:54

scottc wrote: Those Unicomps are actually quite cute. I don't know why they've got the cut-out for the trackpoint buttons, though... That and the bizarre modifiers. Classic Unicomp!
The cutout for the buttons must be due to the fact that the Ultra Classic is the exact same thing as the EnduraPro, minus the buttons and the red pointing stick between the G, H and B keys. It must be helping them cutting down costs, I imagine.

As for the modifiers, I find them bizarre with regard to their placement: on the right of the spacebar, there should be Alt, not the meta key! I use the right Alt (AltGr) quite often to compose characters when I don't want to switch the layout (I switch between 3 keyboard layouts on a daily basis, that's why I still love the Caps Lock key which I've mapped as layout switcher in Linux). Having the right Alt key after the meta key requires much taking used to. I have to hit it with my pinkie instead of with my thumb.

Maybe this kind of small annoyances contribute to the overall uniqueness of Unicomp? I mean, everybody is criticizing their boards out loud, but even the criticizers go out and buy them... I wonder why that is :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Jan 2015, 13:00

I mean, everybody is criticizing their boards out loud, but even the criticizers go out and buy them... I wonder why that is :D
because if you want a new "model M" equivalent there is no alternative.

Muirium
µ

12 Jan 2015, 20:52

Sure there is: NIB originals! I don't have any Unicomps myself, as full size is much too big for me. Got an NIB SSK though…

seebart

12 Jan 2015, 21:25

come on Mu NIB originals are not an option for the "average" user! For us sure. People can't just order new a Model M you know that. They don't have cindy hauling the rare finds around the world.

Anyway my new toy:
IMGP8092.JPG
IMGP8092.JPG (969.22 KiB) Viewed 17918 times
IMGP8082.JPG
IMGP8082.JPG (964.44 KiB) Viewed 17916 times

LLRnR
\m/

12 Jan 2015, 22:26

Muirium wrote: Sure there is: NIB originals! I don't have any Unicomps myself, as full size is much too big for me. Got an NIB SSK though…
NIB SSK :shock: *drools*

Just inspected ebay the other day and I stumbled upon either a NIB or a bolt modded SSK, can't remember, that the guy was selling for about $500. Plus shipping, plus -- as I found out today, when the FedEx invoice for the delivery of my Unicomp came in -- customs! Seems like an SSK is not something I'll be touching during this lifetime :P I would have gone for an SSK version without blinking, if only Unicomp had been offering one.

scottc

12 Jan 2015, 22:33

Mmm, can't wait for that delicious NIB SSK on the way to me! Come to me, little SSK..

LLRnR, be patient and an SSK will come your way sooner or later. Patience, and looking out for threads by Cindy from elecplus. :D

Seebart: Nice HHKB! Where'd you get it from?

seebart

12 Jan 2015, 22:41

thanks,got it from cookie here at DT in a local deal! It's going to take me a while to get used to it though.

We all know even normal full sized M's can get expensive when NIB.

scottc

12 Jan 2015, 22:49

I've had my own Pro 1 for a while and I'm still not used to it. I can't really use it in work, not fast enough with it. Fantastic board, though!

Indeed, NIB Model Ms are pretty costly. Though from Cindy, they're still less than a new Unicomp...

cookie

16 Jan 2015, 11:03

Pro1 I hear? Pictures please :)

scottc

16 Jan 2015, 11:05

It's not that interesting a board and I'm no photographer but I'll give it a go tonight if I remember. It's just like a Pro 2 but without the USB hub. :P

cookie

16 Jan 2015, 11:37

A Pro1 is actually damn rare! I have one myself, a white edition. Mine aged quite heavy over the years.
I am just curios how your board look like :)

scottc

16 Jan 2015, 11:52

Mine's black. I got it from a friend who traded for it on here a few years ago. There's a small amount of damage to the case near one of the clips, unfortunately, but otherwise it's in pretty good condition. The spacebar is a little shiny but not too much.

cookie

16 Jan 2015, 14:18

That is the benefit of a black case! I have no Idea when my Pro2 will start to yellow, hope this will ta a good while :/

snoopy

18 Jan 2015, 17:02

Bro Caps (from GH) provided me a prototype of his v2 brobot for buckling spring. I took some photos of it today.

I know brobots are more a gh-thing, but maybe some people enjoy the photos anyway.

seebart

18 Jan 2015, 17:35

Awesome snoopy! Brobots on IBM are a DT thing.

Halvar

18 Jan 2015, 19:18

Yummy prototype! Haribo should definitely start production on these.

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Jan 2015, 20:28

Bro Caps you say, snoopy? That red looks delicious, isn't one of the most rarest Clacks in this color theme? Or at least not that most expensive Clack anymore, since this Jack O' Lantern went for $710 recently.

I also got some Bro Caps recently, on green colored cap called Stump and a winter themed, icy looking cap called Icestorm:

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jan 2015, 00:43

Madhias wrote: Or at least not that most expensive Clack anymore, since this Jack O' Lantern went for $710 recently.
DTA winners, insure your Wingnuts...

chzel

19 Jan 2015, 00:50

Madhias wrote: ...I also got some Bro Caps recently, on green colored cap called Stump....
Spoiler:
While I am not a fan of Clacks/BroCaps (with the exception of the Wingnut ofc) I really like this Stump!
Beautiful photos as always Madhias!

Muirium
µ

19 Jan 2015, 00:55

Nice pics. But put the clack at the right of the frame to make DT header crops easier! All these tasty Escape keys…

wheybags

19 Jan 2015, 01:00

snoopy wrote: Bro Caps (from GH) provided me a prototype of his v2 brobot for buckling spring. I took some photos of it today.

I know brobots are more a gh-thing, but maybe some people enjoy the photos anyway.
Spoiler:
You can tell those are unicomp caps by the not-so-subtle mould deformation...
Goddamnit why is the only buckling spring company so... unsatisfactory.

chzel

19 Jan 2015, 01:00

μ do you see the world 980x190px at a time?
"DT headers...redefining photo framing standards!"

Hypersphere

19 Jan 2015, 04:13

You can practice by wearing a macro lens as a monocle.

seebart

19 Jan 2015, 10:03

let's not get too many clack headers, were not GH! :lol:

scottc

22 Jan 2015, 23:19

cookie wrote: A Pro1 is actually damn rare! I have one myself, a white edition. Mine aged quite heavy over the years.
I am just curios how your board look like :)
Here you go (eventually!)
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (157.13 KiB) Viewed 17500 times
Sorry for the terrible quality. I mailed it to myself via GMail and they seem to have re-encoded the picture quite lossily... :?

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Jan 2015, 23:23

Your space bar is shiny at exact the same position as mine.

wheybags

22 Jan 2015, 23:54

are pro1s rare? In that case I'll trade mine for a pro2 with non-shiny caps :twisted:

seebart

27 Jan 2015, 21:23

Apple M0110 Alps vintage tee mount (cream):
IMGP8327.JPG
IMGP8327.JPG (964.6 KiB) Viewed 17353 times

IMGP8324.JPG
IMGP8324.JPG (965.1 KiB) Viewed 17337 times
if you thought Topre had a satisfying "thock" sound you need to hear these...
Last edited by seebart on 27 Jan 2015, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

27 Jan 2015, 21:28

Mm, nice! We need more pictures!

Return to “Gallery”