Skidata model KC 450 BK

copter
Last Man Standing

10 Feb 2015, 15:28

Here's couple photos from a keyboard that I got today. More pictures will follow later after I have done some cleaning etc.

I guess this is keyboard made by GMK and features MX Clear + double shot caps. Looking at Wiki this is unknown variant (FI/SE layout).

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

10 Feb 2015, 16:04

Nice board, Z and Y look like they are swapped. Really interesting hybrid layout. I have the DE caps.
What I always loved the Skidata caps, it's always hard to take a photo that would show the real beauty of the caps.
They always look darker in photos, don't know why.
Anyway a great find ;)

JaccoW

10 Feb 2015, 16:13

The Skidata is an awesome board. I'm kind of sorry that I took mine apart for parts but that's how it goes.
Looks like a Netscape logo on the F3 key :shock:

Where did you get it? My old source for these on eBay doesn't show them anymore.

copter
Last Man Standing

10 Feb 2015, 16:43

Yes it seems that Z and Y are swapped. Didn't notice that myself before you mentioned (didn't start cleaning yet). This is very unfortunate for me.

Let's just say that Skidata is related to my work, so I have some sources that way.

Those logos on the keyboard (which you probably have seen before) are actually Skidata system functions, which are mapped to keyboard. These keyboards are used at cashier / customer service / remote support / administration locations, so users need to access functions rapidly. In this keyboard:

F1: Help
F2: Cashier (Skidata system application for manual / credit card payments at cashier)
F3: Control Center (kinda like system device status overview)
F4: Main Menu (configurations, user management etc)
F5: Automatic barrier function ("Normal")
F6: Force barrier open
F7: Return barrier from forced open
F8: System / event log
F9: Keyboard layout selection / configuration

Other icons on the keyboard:
"F15": Receipt
Top row and right corner = Money reports
Second from the top, second from right: Tariff configuration
Second from the top, fourth from right: Customer register / keycard definitions

Other buttons are Finnish labels for various functions, discount cards, lost tickets etc..

tlt

10 Feb 2015, 20:56

I have seen other Skidata boards show up with Z and Y swapped before when they where first found (two years ago?) by forum members. Maybe you ca find someone with a German layout that has the reversed problem :-) , go look In that old thread. And nice find! I have been hunting some for a Swedish Skidata without any luck so far.

tlt

10 Feb 2015, 21:48

Found one board with the revers problem! http://deskthority.net/f-o-r-s-a-l-e-f5 ... it=Skidata .What were Skidata doing with the Z and Y caps? Mixing them in one bucket without regards for the profile?

Halvar

10 Feb 2015, 22:25

Copter: I have a German set with the reverse problem, so I have a row 2 Y and a row 4 Z. If you'd like to swap, pls contact me. :o

EDIT: By the way, because I'm watching the Grammys: Did you know that the cosmetics brand that is called "Olay" all over the world named itself "Olaz" in Germany? Don't think about that!

copter
Last Man Standing

11 Feb 2015, 09:56

Message sent to Halvar regarding key swap. No new pics yet, but I will try to get them soon.

@tlt, I might be able to arrange one from Sweden, Karlstad for you if I get lucky, need to contact some people from there. I will bring this issue up next time I talk with them, so might take a week etc, depends but anyway I will try.

tlt

11 Feb 2015, 12:33

Thanks, I would be very interested in that.

JaccoW

12 Feb 2015, 23:04

copter wrote: Yes it seems that Z and Y are swapped. Didn't notice that myself before you mentioned (didn't start cleaning yet). This is very unfortunate for me.

Let's just say that Skidata is related to my work, so I have some sources that way.

Those logos on the keyboard (which you probably have seen before) are actually Skidata system functions, which are mapped to keyboard. These keyboards are used at cashier / customer service / remote support / administration locations, so users need to access functions rapidly. In this keyboard:

F1: Help
F2: Cashier (Skidata system application for manual / credit card payments at cashier)
F3: Control Center (kinda like system device status overview)
F4: Main Menu (configurations, user management etc)
F5: Automatic barrier function ("Normal")
F6: Force barrier open
F7: Return barrier from forced open
F8: System / event log
F9: Keyboard layout selection / configuration

Other icons on the keyboard:
"F15": Receipt
Top row and right corner = Money reports
Second from the top, second from right: Tariff configuration
Second from the top, fourth from right: Customer register / keycard definitions

Other buttons are Finnish labels for various functions, discount cards, lost tickets etc..
That is some cool background info. Might want to add it to the Wiki. :)
I always knew SkiData is the company that provides most parking garage gates in Europe.

If you can get your hands on some more of these boards I would certainly be interested. And probably quite a few more people. :lol:

SL89

13 Feb 2015, 00:03

these look awesome, are they targeted at POS installations or something?

copter
Last Man Standing

13 Feb 2015, 17:32

Skidata keyboards are used in different Skidata systems, which include parking, people Access (company internal access control, amusement parks, trade shows etc) and skiing / mountain elevator systems. These keyboards are used in various workstations located in these systems, but usually in places where sale and customer service is done. Not really POS in a sense we usually understand the meaning, but somewhat similar just with smaller volume.

This particular keyboard as the name states was part of so called APT450 product line and it has retired many years ago and also reached end of support. System was build around legacy serial line network, that connected computers and other hardware parts of the system (signs, barriers, door openers, ticket coders / readers etc). As we know the keyboard is excellent, but later system product lines are based on 64-bit Windows platforms, which also means that keyboard mappings from additional keys (with paper labels under key tops) cannot be used. Because of this there is no advantage to use these keyboards anymore and during system upgrades these keyboards are usually replaced with normal keyboard or USB based later variant of Skidata Tipro keyboard. Unfortunately I do know that huge amounts of these have been thrown into garbage.

From original Skidata Tipro keyboard I posted pictures some weeks ago too in here: http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/skida ... t9696.html. This keyboard was successor or this GMK made keyboard posted above and predecessor of the Tipro USB variant.

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Feb 2015, 22:14

I also do have one, and only used the caps, and harvested the MX Clears :)

Would like to buy the ANSI charcoal set, by the way. One was sold not long ago here, but i was not sure.

JaccoW

14 Feb 2015, 00:56

Madhias wrote: I also do have one, and only used the caps, and harvested the MX Clears :)

Would like to buy the ANSI charcoal set, by the way. One was sold not long ago here, but i was not sure.
Sherry from Originative had them in his store a few years ago. They were called 'Charred Orange'

Slight problem; Originative has been available on and off for the past few years and experiences have been very spotty. If everything goes alright you're fine. If you are not lucky you might be waiting for months or lose your money.

DanielT

14 Feb 2015, 09:37

Last time I checked this set was sold out on their site. It's a shame because the set is really nice, I have one

SL89

14 Feb 2015, 13:43

I just checked the site and its 'down' for the time being. I'm not sure why or whatever but it seems to be locked up for the time being.

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Feb 2015, 21:01

I saw the sets over there - and one or two were available some months ago, but only heard bad things about Originative (did not ship bought articles). Now and then there are some sets sold in classifieds, as not long ago here in the marketplace!

Ace
§

21 Feb 2015, 05:40

Nice! Keep the pictures flowing; I'd love to see some restoration progress. :)

copter
Last Man Standing

25 May 2015, 12:10

Quick update to the situation. I have cleaned one I got some months ago and paired it for now with my Digital AlphaStation 500, gives a nice touch to the good old Tru64 UNIX. I also did swap the Z and Y caps with Halvar, so we both now have proper profiles on them!.

Also I did found second KC 450 BK with FI/SE layout, that I will be shipping to tlt probably this week. It seems that this is the last one which exists in it's "natural" environment in Finland. This one also had proper Z and Y profiles already, so no need for swapping:

DanielT

25 May 2015, 19:09

Please post some photos of the Alpha Station :) I'm such a big fan of vintage UNIX machines :)

copter
Last Man Standing

25 May 2015, 19:58

Here (with the keyboard):

From some reason images are flipped automatically, but if you click them open, they will be aligned properly. Taken with my phone quickly, so quality not the best. Maybe I will take some other photos later.

I'm waiting for my DEC mouse still, so IBM one need to do for now.

DanielT

25 May 2015, 20:57

This is really nice :) It has been a long time since I saw one of these running :) I love when I see people enjoy plain old school UNIX and such beautiful harware.

copter
Last Man Standing

25 May 2015, 21:09

I did spend a long time looking for AlphaStation, as they are not that much available if ridiculous offers from eBay are not taken into account. Reason is that Alphas which have been running Tru64 were pretty fast replaced with Linux or HP-UX etc because of quite easy porting of applications and ones running OpenVMS are still running.

I worked at DEC, so this has some really special meaning for me, that I finally have it running at home. Dunno what to run with it (yet), but I guess I will come up with something. Skidata keyboard fits into the colors too somehow.

wlhlm
~

27 May 2015, 15:17

I'm currently proxing this keyboard and took some pictures:

It comes with a Trackball (which I couldn't get to work on Linux) and in QWERTZ layout. I guess the legends on the relegendable have been replaced by the Ebay-seller.

The model number is "KC X50 BK", but the PCB still says "KC 450 BK" on the controller:

I wonder what's the purpose of the copper foil on the back of the PCB? :?:

→Link to full album

Return to “Gallery”