The Sega HTR-2106 - Sega + IBM + Alps

bhtooefr

28 Jun 2011, 12:04

Necroposting here, with my first post, but I've got some questions about this switch.

How does the sharpness of tactility compare to both conventional Model Ms, and Model Fs?

How variable is the tactile point? I know Alps said in their patent that they could use this to allow wider tolerances on springs.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Jun 2011, 22:38

Hard to compare to Model F or M, it's better to see it as an improved version of the Cherry MX Blue, with a sharper yet smoother tactile feeling at activation. The board I have felt pretty consistent I think, I haven't been able to play with it for a while.

bhtooefr

29 Jun 2011, 11:49

Sounds like a quite interesting switch - a while back, I said that my ideal switch had the weight of a Cherry blue, but the force curve, smoothness, and general behavior of buckling spring.

Of course, that's before I got a Model F... but I'd definitely still like to try this switch.

Edit: Also, how loud is it, relative to Cherry blue, and how would you describe the sound?

The Solutor

29 Jun 2011, 13:03

Really interesting board, with really interesting switches.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jun 2011, 22:35

I'll compare the Sega with a Cherry MX Blue board over the weekend and let you know about the sound.

bhtooefr

04 Jul 2011, 23:29

Were you able to compare them?

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Jul 2011, 23:59

These Alps have a really nice click. Sophisticated, definite. Nothing like the Blues with its dangling leaves. It's clear and clean but not super loud and no high pitched sounds.

bhtooefr

05 Jul 2011, 01:04

Hmm. This switch sounds very, VERY interesting. I've been tracking down several leads on finding a keyboard using these switches (an ISO layout one actually exists, under the C.Itoh brand), but have been running into dead ends.

Would you be interested in selling yours?

Findecanor

03 Aug 2011, 16:10

This guy on Geekhack has apparently found yet another model with these switches. ISO/UK layout, "S.M. Keyboard A339B".

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Aug 2011, 16:51

Too bad, geekhack is so lame, I can't see the pictures.

Findecanor

03 Aug 2011, 20:20

It does not show thumbnails if you are not logged in, but you can still click the picture links.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Aug 2011, 21:23

Thanks.. it is the switch!

bhtooefr

09 Nov 2012, 23:14

And now I've gotten my hands on an Alps SM-101, which is essentially an ANSI version of the Teradrive board.

One of the most shoddily built metal spring keyboards I've ever laid my hands on. But, that doesn't really affect the feel...

So, let's get to that. More preload than I'd like, but peak force is quite nice. Feels a bit frictiony, and the tactile point just feels... odd - almost as if I were stretching the spring a bit before it's forced to buckle. (Although, my board may be worn out. The keycaps are worn down to the point that they don't even have their nubs on F and J any more (you can see they were there, but can't really feel them)!)

Noise is quite quiet for what it is. Quieter than MX Blues, and definitely quieter than any IBM or variant BS.

I think I'd class it as better than Cherry MX Blue, mainly because it's a lot smoother, but MX Blue seems to have less friction. And, I'd class it about the same as an IBM Model M (for completely different reasons, though - this seems to have the stiffness about where I want it, but the tactility seems quite a bit lower, whereas a Model M is too stiff, but the tactility is good. Neither has light enough preload, though). Beam spring and Model F 122 are better, though, in my opinion.

I will withhold full judgement, though, until I've either found an AT to PS/2 adapter, or gotten myself to Micro Center to get another. (Damn thing is AT, and I don't have anything left here that actually takes AT...)

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Nov 2012, 23:58

Good hunting. :mrgreen:

Icarium

11 Nov 2012, 10:05

Don't you have a Teradrive board webwit? What's your impression?

fossala
Elite +1

11 Nov 2012, 10:06

If anyone wants the whole teradrive system including keyboard. I know someone who is selling online for 350euro. To rich for my blood though :(

bhtooefr

11 Nov 2012, 22:53

Icarium: webwit posted his impressions earlier in the thread.

And, I rescind my comments that it's better than MX blue. After having actually plugged the thing in... oh god. It's worse than a rubber dome at speed. It's like the tactility all but goes away, and it just feels rather vague. The tactile event, click, and key transmission all occur at the same time, but the tactile event and click are less apparent the faster you go.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Nov 2012, 23:07

Interesting. Must plug mine in sometime ;)

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Nov 2012, 23:27

Very stylish board!
daedalus wrote:But here seems to be the secret sauce of the Alps BS -

Looks very similar to Acer's implementation though.

bhtooefr

12 Nov 2012, 00:49

Acer switches are using a click leaf like Alps, with a hinged piece to hit the membrane, looking at the wiki.

These are buckling spring, with that protrusion (47/50/53) forcing the spring to buckle.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Nov 2012, 00:52

I'd need to see the rest of the diagram.

phetto
Elite

02 Dec 2012, 19:18

I have totally missed this. Cool board, looks sick with the sega logo. =)

rzwv

06 Dec 2012, 16:56

DSC_0402.jpg
DSC_0402.jpg (602.2 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
DSC_0403.jpg
DSC_0403.jpg (492.93 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
DSC_0405.jpg
DSC_0405.jpg (600.35 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
DSC_0406.jpg
DSC_0406.jpg (669.23 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
^_^

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Dec 2012, 23:42

Another board to go on the wiki. Preferably not photographed on a bed, though :-P

And the switches too for that matter.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2012, 23:52

Very nice comparison. Identical except for the color.

Icarium

13 Dec 2012, 23:23

Is that a Teradrive board?

phetto
Elite

13 Dec 2012, 23:34

Icarium wrote:Is that a Teradrive board?
Yes :)

octabit

05 Aug 2014, 19:02

You could maybe use this method to produce a new plastic overlay for the LEDs DIY style:
http://blog.kevinthomasson.se/diy/profe ... ont-panels
Last edited by octabit on 20 Sep 2014, 23:20, edited 3 times in total.

acolombo

05 Aug 2014, 19:16

octabit wrote: You could maybe use this method to produce a new plastic overlay for the LEDs DIY style:
http://kevinthomasson.se/blog/diy/profe ... ont-panels
That's a very nice guide and an awesome find! Thanks :D

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Dec 2014, 09:41

Since the thread is already necro'd:

http://www.google.com/patents/US5012055

A second patent that seems to relate to this keyboard. So far as I know, I've never actually seen the insides of the switch, so there's no proof yet of which patent actually corresponds to the finished product.

Return to “Gallery”