As some of you might have noticed from this topic
, Cherry White switches have suddenly re-appeared out of nowhere. These seem to be produced recently, as Bruce suggests the ones in stock at the keyboardcompany were produced in 2007. Before this, the last time we had heard of the clicky Cherry White switches was at least over two decades ago
This morning I got a shipment of the "new" Cherry white switches, so here are a few comparison shots to the old whites. Quite different. They truly deserve the name white now.
* Not pictured: MX White/Clear Clicky "TYPE B" 1989 - looks identical to the other clicky clear one
So there you have it. Besides the generic Cherry switch changes (such as the smaller logo on the top part of the switch), te new white switches are proper white, while the old ones are transparent. The slider construction is a bit different. The spring is identical to the ancient A type clicky switch. Both the vintage 1987 one and the new 2012 one feel identical to me.This leaves us with the following:
* Clear/White Clicky Type-A: 80cN, clear stem, black click-slider - 1987-?
* Clear/White Clicky Type-B: 50cN(?), clear stem, clear-slider, feels identical to modern mx blue - 1989-?
* Clear/White Non-Clicky: 55cN, clear stem - 1989-2012
* Solid White Clicky: 80cN, white stem, black-slider - 2007-2012+?
And you thought ALPS was complicated. Cherry is just getting started.
I will probably take better pictures on the weekend.