Whoops I did it again HHKB Pro 1

cookie

29 Nov 2013, 22:19

Hey there,
I got a HHKB Pro from 2005! I was tired of carrying my Pro2 around with me every day so I decided to get a used one and this one has some vintage charme and is in a ratherdirty condition.

Typing was quite neat but some keys are stumbling. Thok is nice but this baby needs some serious cleaning!

My plans on it are:
1: Disassambling DONE
2: Cleaning it up DONE
3: Do the Type-S MOD DONE See here: Ghetto-S
4: Lube everything! FAILED!
5: Reassamble it DONE

Edit (Will maybe do later):
6: Retrobrighting or repainting case
7: Sandblasting caps
8: Dyeing caps

This is the Keyboard as it came out of the Box, unfortunately the original box is missing:

This is a heavy used spacebar, all other keys are in a really nice condition:

Logo of the Pro1:

Side:

Caps removed:

Filthy:

Caps and stems plus cleaning tabs:

Inside:

Domes:

Springs:

Stems removed:

Drying:
Last edited by cookie on 10 Dec 2013, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.

Topre Enthusiast

30 Nov 2013, 01:38

Nice :)
Case looks like it would be good candidate for some retrobrighting.
Seems that the Topre model number for this one is NA0113...although that's a guess as there appear to be a lot of NA01xx numbers on your board. I'm not sure which one Topre use for the board in general but I suppose for their OEM boards it doesn't really matter. I'd like to know if there is a similar model number on the other HHKB PCBs.

dustinhxc

30 Nov 2013, 04:49

Wow that's awesome. What's the pro 1 differences? I have a pro2 which I did the silence mod to and it looks the same. Sweet find

hasu

30 Nov 2013, 06:49

Sweet. And that space bar! Beloved
I certainly prefer pro than pro2, it has no crappy hub! Minimal is beautiful.

ماء

30 Nov 2013, 10:24

really nice cookie,i just know you have 3 i guess 2 :)
dustinhxc wrote:Wow that's awesome. What's the pro 1 differences? I have a pro2 which I did the silence mod to and it looks the same. Sweet find
without usb port ;)

cookie

30 Nov 2013, 14:37

The keyboard is really nice actually but I fucked up the whole cleaning with some thick silicone lube.... man I am so mad at me right now and it is a pain to remove all the sticky parts and clean them up.

Pro1 and Pro2 are exactely the same, the Pro2 has an USB port on it.

@002 Such a number is on all parts, It's on both pbc on the top and bottom part of the housing :D
ماء wrote:really nice cookie,i just know you have 3 i guess 2 :)
dustinhxc wrote:Wow that's awesome. What's the pro 1 differences? I have a pro2 which I did the silence mod to and it looks the same. Sweet find
without usb port ;)
I currently have 2 HHKBs, sold all my other stuff dig into topre, never looked back :)

cookie

30 Nov 2013, 19:17

I cleaned up the silicone lube mess, reassambled everything together and what can I say.
Man this keyboard is nice, I can not feel much difference to my Pro2 it is a bit stiffer, feels more like a 55g topre and I must say I like it :D

The Thok is nice, all keys are working perfektly this will be my dayli driver at work and the Pro2 will stay at home :D

As soon as I get the neccessary tools to do the Type - S Mod, I will start doing this :D

Pictures:

Reassambled after cleaning:

rindorbrot

01 Dec 2013, 03:35

What is the difference between the 1 and the 2? The only obvious to me is the USB hub.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Dec 2013, 08:51

great work cookie. thanks for sharing!

that board screams for retr0bright though! :D

ماء

01 Dec 2013, 09:05

need to formalin :lol: for white permanent 8-)

Elrick

01 Dec 2013, 11:26

matt3o wrote:great work cookie. thanks for sharing!

that board screams for retr0bright though! :D
No keep it original because I love the yellowish tint because it means that it stood the test of time and must therefore be celebrated and adored.

I never liked pristine white on keyboards, means it came out of a factory yesterday....... :(

cookie

01 Dec 2013, 12:44

I think I will keep the keyboard how it is. I like the aged abs plastic :D

Elrick

01 Dec 2013, 12:55

cookie wrote:I think I will keep the keyboard how it is. I like the aged abs plastic :D
Good choice :D . I always liked old Model-M's that have that golden yellow hue that shows to the rest of the world that it was made a long time ago, when quality keyboards ruled the world.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Dec 2013, 13:28

oh c'mon admit it... you are just lazy :) :P (kidding)

cookie

01 Dec 2013, 13:31

Haha, actually I am :D

mj45

01 Dec 2013, 15:51

cookie wrote:The keyboard is really nice actually but I fucked up the whole cleaning with some thick silicone lube.... man I am so mad at me right now and it is a pain to remove all the sticky parts and clean them up.

Pro1 and Pro2 are exactely the same, the Pro2 has an USB port on it.

@002 Such a number is on all parts, It's on both pbc on the top and bottom part of the housing :D
ماء wrote:really nice cookie,i just know you have 3 i guess 2 :)
without usb port ;)
I currently have 2 HHKBs, sold all my other stuff dig into topre, never looked back :)
Do you think its better off skipping the lube on HHKB's or using some other type than the lube you used?

cookie

02 Dec 2013, 14:04

I prefere to use lube only on the stabilizers and not the stems, if they are scratchy, clean them if this doesn't help i'd use a lube with high viscosity and only a little bit of it... I used verry thick stuff.. was a bad idea and a waste of money :(

Scheider

07 Dec 2013, 18:22

ImClueless

08 Dec 2013, 01:08

Silly question, but what are you soaking the keys in specifically?

cookie

09 Dec 2013, 12:01

@Schneider: This is not what I have planned, those O rings are way to thick and will reduce travel to much. I got 0,5 mm thick silicone and a few punches. Pictures are comming soon.

@ImClueless: I used hot water and cleaning tabs for false teeth. Results are really nice!

fifkikker

09 Dec 2013, 21:48

Very nice project, thanks for sharing. Do you prefer to use either one of your HHKB's ? Any difference in tactile or auditory feedback?

cookie

10 Dec 2013, 10:51

Thank you!

They are a bit different, the Pro needs more force to press down than the Pro2, that results in a bit different sound and feel. The "Thok" on the Pro is a lot deeper. I already put the selfmade Orings into the Pro, I didn't noticed that much difference in travel than before (as I said, 0,5 mm silicone). It kinda feels lighter now what I like.

I will post pictures soon.

They keys are also a bit shiny, for a so heavy used keyboard from 2005 the shine is totally acceptable! But I will definately sandblast them and buy a replacement spacebar from EK soon.

dustinhxc

23 Jul 2014, 06:22

I know this thread is old now but anyways. Since my last post. I sold my hhkb pro 2 and I had 45g and 55g in it before. I have a pro 1 coming this week, manufacture 2003! Stoked to restore it! 11 year old pro! I hope my 45g feel like 55g too. Also hope my thock is loud as well. Stoked to clean everything w denture tabs and then dental bands for the sliders, maybe lube. Can't decide to leave it yellow, retro brite it, or paint it and waterslide a new logo on it. Exciting!!! :mrgreen:

cookie

24 Jul 2014, 16:40

Congratulations!
A Pro1 is hard to find those days, they introduced it on may 2003 and discontinued 2006.
I made the mistake to dyesup the caps... it turned out okay but it isn't original anymore.

I planed to repaint the whole keyboard but I am hesitating a lot lately, becasue the yellowed look is like a nice patina.
It showes that the thing has done a lot of work... It gives it some kind of "elitist" look. Maybe I will change my mind again, time will show. It is my daily driver at work now and I am verry satisfyed with it.

What can I guarantee you is that the rubber gets stiffer over the years (Something I absolutely dislike) and it will feel like a 55g topre! Louder THOK etc. The good thing is that they stiffen up evenly!

I'd imediately trade the domes with newer once if I had the chance!

Eszett

25 Jul 2014, 05:07

Hi cookie. What I haven’t understood yet is, what kind of problem you had with the lube? What exactly went wrong?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Jul 2014, 08:57

cookie wrote: Congratulations!
I planed to repaint the whole keyboard but I am hesitating a lot lately, becasue the yellowed look is like a nice patina.
It showes that the thing has done a lot of work... It gives it some kind of "elitist" look. Maybe I will change my mind again, time will show. It is my daily driver at work now and I am verry satisfyed with it.
i'm pretty fond of my yellowing pro1 as well!

we are the champions my friend :maverick:

Topre Enthusiast

25 Jul 2014, 09:46

You guys are trendsetters...could there be a market for distressed HHKB's? Maybe someone will come up with Anter0Bright to speed up yellowing :)

HipsterPunks

25 Jul 2014, 10:01

002 wrote: You guys are trendsetters...could there be a market for distressed HHKB's? Maybe someone will come up with Anter0Bright to speed up yellowing :)
Gonna start smoking and using my HHKB as an ash tray for that vintage yellow'd

Topre Enthusiast

25 Jul 2014, 10:07

If you get addicted, you can start selling the distressed boards to the hipster punks to support your habit. Distressed items are an expensive commodity these days. Check out these $500 dirty sneakers

Medowy

25 Jul 2014, 10:40

002 wrote: If you get addicted, you can start selling the distressed boards to the hipster punks to support your habit. Distressed items are an expensive commodity these days. Check out these $500 dirty sneakers
...or you could save a few hundred dollars and make your own dirty sneakers! 8-)

Return to “Gallery”