IBM SSK club!

scottc

07 Mar 2014, 00:59

Muirium wrote:Since you've just been in there, do you know if the SSK has two barrels behind Backspace, so I could potentially gain an extra key up there? I use mine exclusively through Soarer's Converter, so I'm always looking for more keys available to program…
If yours is ANSI, why not shorten the left shift ISO style too? It might not be too pretty, though...

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2014, 01:10

I did in fact do that with my 122 key, when I converted it to ANSI. The SSK is much more practical for day to day use, size-wise. But then the 122 key was the one that needed a bold mod…

Perhaps I'll just poke around again inside.

All SSKs are ANSI, by the way, unless modded. (Or that's what I've heard.)

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

08 Mar 2014, 20:28

Muirium wrote:Since you've just been in there, do you know if the SSK has two barrels behind Backspace, so I could potentially gain an extra key up there? I use mine exclusively through Soarer's Converter, so I'm always looking for more keys available to program…
More info:
http://web.archive.org/web/201012261127 ... sland:7046
Spoiler:

Muirium
µ

08 Mar 2014, 22:12

Nice! I might try that trick on my already bolt modded 122 key terminal M, and take it for a test run. ANSI backslash can be my HHKB style backspace.

The key I'd most like to shrink is right shift. It's too big on ANSI and ISO, just the same. If only IBM had the single unit part on its right side instead of the left. That would have been a perfect place for Fn.

rindorbrot

09 Mar 2014, 01:59

Muirium wrote: The key I'd most like to shrink is right shift. It's too big on ANSI and ISO, just the same. If only IBM had the single unit part on its right side instead of the left. That would have been a perfect place for Fn.
I totally agree. My kishsaver would have a split right shift now if it was that way.

E TwentyNine

13 Mar 2014, 02:15

Every barrel on an M, including the SSK, has a pad beneath it. Only exception is the secondary spacebar barrel.

E TwentyNine

13 Mar 2014, 02:32

Muirium wrote:All SSKs are ANSI, by the way, unless modded. (Or that's what I've heard.)
I thought there was an IBM SSK (German maybe) that came stock ISO layout, but cannot locate one online.

However, there is a Unicomp one that does:

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cf ... /id/183757

Compgeke

13 Mar 2014, 03:38

Unicomp has\had moulds for SSKs? Interesting that they aren't making any.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Mar 2014, 04:01

I don't think they had the moulds, just spare parts.

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

02 Apr 2014, 22:18

Update to club membership file:
The snappy brothers :D
Last edited by RaleghDirat on 02 Apr 2014, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

02 Apr 2014, 22:27

Can't argue with those fellas. Dapper!

Hypersphere

25 Apr 2014, 02:55

E TwentyNine wrote:Every barrel on an M, including the SSK, has a pad beneath it. Only exception is the secondary spacebar barrel.
So, does this mean that it would be possible to split the right shift on an SSK? I would like to be able to remove the long right shift and install a shorter right shift and a Fn key in its place.

Daemon Raccoon

25 Apr 2014, 03:04

Only it'd be a Fn key then a Caps-lock key as a right shift.

Hypersphere

25 Apr 2014, 15:04

Daemon Raccoon wrote:Only it'd be a Fn key then a Caps-lock key as a right shift.
Yes; this is unfortunate. I suppose it would be possible to make a custom key, but my attempts to do this have ended badly. Bring on the 3D printers!

Muirium
µ

25 Apr 2014, 15:35

Remember that this is the underlying layout:

I'd much rather a 1u Fn key at the right of right shift (like the HHKB, and indeed remapped XT) instead of its left, but modders can't be choosers.

I also wonder how much limited rollover might be an issue for these split keys. Unlike Model F's, Ms aren't immune from ghosting and masking.

Hypersphere

25 Apr 2014, 16:38

Muirium wrote:Remember that this is the underlying layout:

<snip>

I'd much rather a 1u Fn key at the right of right shift (like the HHKB, and indeed remapped XT) instead of its left, but modders can't be choosers.

I also wonder how much limited rollover might be an issue for these split keys. Unlike Model F's, Ms aren't immune from ghosting and masking.
Thanks for the reminder about the layout. Modders are choosers, and sometimes makers of new things; however, there are some constraints and boundary conditions.

In any event, my minor HHKB-like reconfiguring of the SSK is working well for me. The main features are that I have remapped the Backslash (\) as back Delete (Backspace) and put a 1x Backslash key and 1x dummy key above the new Backspace. Caps Lock has become Control, and the bottom row is Option - Command - Space - Option -Command. I use Right Option + Right Command as Fn, and [ / ; ' as the HHKB cursor diamond.

However, at the moment I am using my newly reconfigured XT keyboard, which you have pointed out has many virtues, including 1x keys to the right of each Shift that can be used as Fn keys. My most recent alteration is that I have replaced The Shifts, Tab, and Right Bracket (which has been remapped as the Backspace) with 1.25x Shift keys from an IBM 122. This provides some agreeable symmetry. I could go with blanks in these positions, but I like the look of the open arrows.

Muirium
µ

25 Apr 2014, 16:48

The way you use two keys simultaneously for Fn on your HHKB sounds very complex to me. I'm often holding down shift and option when hitting arrows anyway – for extending a selection word by word – so even with a dedicated Fn key that's four fingers in use at once. For your setup, the same would need five. I can't remember having pressed as many keys together besides for testing NKRO!

Hypersphere

25 Apr 2014, 17:35

Muirium wrote:The way you use two keys simultaneously for Fn on your HHKB sounds very complex to me. I'm often holding down shift and option when hitting arrows anyway – for extending a selection word by word – so even with a dedicated Fn key that's four fingers in use at once. For your setup, the same would need five. I can't remember having pressed as many keys together besides for testing NKRO!
I only use RightOpt+RightCommand = Fn when in virtual HHKB mode on my IBM SSK. I didn't want to use a single modifier for Fn in order to avoid conflicts with other single-modifier commands. Luckily for me, I do not use many keyboard shortcuts within programs that use Mac modifiers. Thus far, I have encountered no problems requiring extra fingers.

Of course, when using my actual HHKB Pro 2, I use the built-in Fn key, which is located right where it ought to be, just to the right of the Right Shift!

And on my XT, I now have a light blue Fn key (from Unicomp) to the right of both the Left Shift and the Right Shift. I had previously remapped the key to the right of the Left Shift to `~, which I now access using Fn+Esc.

Although there are a few things I do not like about the layout of my reconfigured XT, it is working very well for me, and I love the capacitive buckling springs so much that this keyboard has become my new daily driver.

Grond

27 Apr 2014, 19:21

I only use my SSK occasionally, and when I do, though I enjoy the feel and sound, at the end of the day my fingers hurt! :(
The Cherry blues I most usually use must have made me a wimp! I used to have a Model M as a kid and I don't remember any pain from it.

scottc

27 Apr 2014, 19:24

Grond wrote:I only use my SSK occasionally, and when I do, though I enjoy the feel and sound, at the end of the day my fingers hurt!
The Cherry blues I most usually use must have made a wimp out of me! I used to have a Model M as a kid and I don't remember any pain from it.
It's the opposite for me! I find it really difficult to get used to low-force Cherry switches, and as a result I find that MX blues feel very wimpy and light.

Dubsgalore

27 Apr 2014, 19:33

I should be joining the club very soon...next week..

Grond

27 Apr 2014, 19:41

scottc wrote:
Grond wrote:I only use my SSK occasionally, and when I do, though I enjoy the feel and sound, at the end of the day my fingers hurt!
The Cherry blues I most usually use must have made a wimp out of me! I used to have a Model M as a kid and I don't remember any pain from it.
It's the opposite for me! I find it really difficult to get used to low-force Cherry switches, and as a result I find that MX blues feel very wimpy and light.
Do you use Buckling Springs on daily basis?

scottc

27 Apr 2014, 19:50

Yeah, if I'm using my desktop at home I usually use either my SSK or Model F AT at it. I don't just use buckling spring, though, a lot of the time I use my Thinkpad keyboard when I'm on-the-go.

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2014, 20:22

Similar story here: I use my SSK and my other IBM keyboards quite a lot. (On a Model F XT just now. Ping ping ping ping!) They don't tire me out. Neither does MX green.

But I have gotten into MX reds and Topre this year, and it's the transition from one keyboard to another that you feel a difference. I typically use a board all week and then swap over to something else for the next. And when I'm going from MX red to green, or Topre to buckling spring, well I certainly feel the extra work.

Not everyone likes mixing keyboards as much as I do – I'm the same with layouts – but I can say that I sympathise with people who just can't take a day long pounding on buckling spring. I visit there every once in a while, before discovering that I actually really like it again! You should see me bash MX reds when I'm fresh off my Model F…

Grond

27 Apr 2014, 20:40

My concern is that the pain may be a sympton of RSI of something. In that case I guess it wouldn't be too healthy to insist with the SSK. But I'll try your way and keep typing on it for a week, and see what happens. :)

Hypersphere

27 Apr 2014, 21:12

I've been switching keyboards lately, partially to assuage my guilt over owning so many boards and not using them all. Other reasons for switching include enjoying the variety and reminding me of why I like buckling springs so much -- in particular the capacitive switches in my XT. Overall, however, I think the SSK is my favorite, because it gives me a good balance between layout and sound/feel. The layout of the SSK is nice, because it is easy to set it up either conventionally or in HHKB/Mac mode. As for sound, my current favorite is the sharp metallic report of the XT. For feel, I like the precise feedback I get from my XT and SSK; there's just nothing as good as a buckling spring.

Pain from typing seems to have little to do with the force required for actuation. Instead, freedom from pain is much more dependent on proper typing posture -- keeping the wrists in line with the hands and never resting on any sort of support while typing -- typing as if playing the piano.

Grond

27 Apr 2014, 21:53

Well I guess my posture is the same with the Filco and SSK, so maybe the problem comes from the fact that the SSK is taller. I'll try without feet!

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2014, 22:07

Ergonomics is more complex than one-rule-fits-all. (Or we would have the whole thing solved by now.)

That said, RJ could have a point. I switched to doing most of my typing standing up, because of shoulder pain. Even sitting down, I don't rest my wrists on the desk. But then again, I almost never use my little fingers to type either – self taught touch typist! – which limits me to something like 70wpm but does seem to spare me RSI. Not that I really know cause or effect…

So yeah, mix it up! And try to fly on those buckling springs. It's not a dome keyboard. You don't need to bottom out hard, if that's the problem.

Dubsgalore

09 May 2014, 04:58

I've officially joined! 2 in one day...kinda crazy day

So the first is a practically new one that I received in a partial trade for my KMAC. It's very clean and only been used for less then a Month. It's from '91 and I'm using it right now.

The second I bought on craigslist...drove an hour there and back to meet up with this stranger and buy his SSK...was a weird experience. Nice guy but a little off. anyways he gave me a super good deal but the board is very dirty. seems to be in good condition. It did come with black caps...and I don't think they came from an M13..but I know jack about IBM so i really can't say.

Buckling Spring is really nice! I'll post photos of the two tomorrow

Dubsgalore

09 May 2014, 05:48

double post :p

Return to “Gallery”