Inside a Maltron...

Jim66

03 Nov 2011, 10:32

For those of you who have never seen the anatomy of a Maltron dual handed keyboard... Now is your chance. This also presents a nice opportunity for me to pic whore my recent purchases.

I'm still unsure what I'm going to do with these keyboards. I'm thinking about replacing the cherry blacks in one of the boards to ergo clears (using the titanium springs that sixty sent me a while ago).

I'd say that overall, typing on a Maltron is a very nice experience. Previously I have owned a Kinesis advantage and I would say that the key positioning isn't as extreme as the Kinesis; I don't feel like the bowls are as deep.

Yes they are pretty ugly, but they are starting to grow on me.

Jim.

fossala
Elite +1

03 Nov 2011, 10:37

I really want a dvorak one but they are around 400 gbp. Is the one without trackball the same one that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago?

Jim66

03 Nov 2011, 10:43

fossala wrote:I really want a dvorak one but they are around 400 gbp. Is the one without trackball the same one that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago?
Yeah, it sure is. I managed to snag that one in the end. They are more than 400, the prices that they quote on their website don't include VAT. Once you put it in your cart the total price 522!!!

fossala
Elite +1

03 Nov 2011, 10:45

I forgot about it, I was going to bid. Would you mind saying what it went for?
EDIT:Thanks.

cactux

03 Nov 2011, 11:00

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Jim66

03 Nov 2011, 11:06

cactux wrote:half price of my future datahand
Are you pursuing this one that the moment?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DataHand-Profes ... 500wt_1413

cactux

03 Nov 2011, 11:13

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Jim66

03 Nov 2011, 11:33

cactux wrote:if I am able to get a NIB sure
You're wallet is far deeper than mine...

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Nov 2011, 12:26

A $1500 DataHand without photos, from ebay friendly Italy! :twisted:

Jim66

03 Nov 2011, 13:42

Yeah. NIB is almost never NIB. More like:

"I kept the box when I bought the item. I looked after the item when I used it. I cleaned the item really well so it looks new. I placed it back in the box... It's NIB".

JBert

03 Nov 2011, 16:58

I think webwit was more alluding to "Nothing In Box".

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Nov 2011, 17:03

I like the hand wiring job on that Maltron...

Jim66

03 Nov 2011, 18:43

I love the way that the switches are just mounted in the case. They pop out if you give them a firm push; this is nice as I'll be able to do an ergo clear swap without having to de-solder anything.

As I said, the end product isn't the nicest thing to look but feel 'just right' when you are typing on it.

MarkWilliamson

05 Nov 2011, 16:43

My Maltron is, I think, a little older and looks much the same. I enjoy it to type on, despite mine having some age-related switch problems that I've not quite got around to fixing.

It seems a bit flimsy at first but the shape is really rather nice to type on and I find it quite acceptable for programming also. I've swapped Left Ctrl and Caps Lock.

The main problem, layout-wise, is that AFAICT there's no way to completely remap it in PC-side software. This is because the controller actually handles layouts in order to produce different shifted/unshifted pairings to a standard keyboard (and in some cases, to ensure a key only has an unshifted scancode). I've not been able to find out a way of stopping it from doing this, which leaves me reliant on the built-in layouts - a shame, although I should probably learn the proper Maltron layout some time anyhow.

Back to the subject of the innards - I'd quite like to pop the switches out of mine and put Cherry Blues in, although I think with the large resonator of the contoured case that could be pretty loud. I'd also quite like to fashion a more modern controller board that would solve my remapping problems and give native USB - doesn't seem like it should be so hard, if I find sufficient time.

Jim66

05 Nov 2011, 21:59

MarkWilliamson wrote:My Maltron is, I think, a little older and looks much the same. I enjoy it to type on, despite mine having some age-related switch problems that I've not quite got around to fixing.

It seems a bit flimsy at first but the shape is really rather nice to type on and I find it quite acceptable for programming also. I've swapped Left Ctrl and Caps Lock.

The main problem, layout-wise, is that AFAICT there's no way to completely remap it in PC-side software. This is because the controller actually handles layouts in order to produce different shifted/unshifted pairings to a standard keyboard (and in some cases, to ensure a key only has an unshifted scancode). I've not been able to find out a way of stopping it from doing this, which leaves me reliant on the built-in layouts - a shame, although I should probably learn the proper Maltron layout some time anyhow.

Back to the subject of the innards - I'd quite like to pop the switches out of mine and put Cherry Blues in, although I think with the large resonator of the contoured case that could be pretty loud. I'd also quite like to fashion a more modern controller board that would solve my remapping problems and give native USB - doesn't seem like it should be so hard, if I find sufficient time.
Hmmm, when I posted this over at GeekHack, one of the guys suggested that it would be a good idea to replace the controller in the Maltron with either a Teensy or a controller from the Kinesis.

I guess it would be very nice to have a fully customisable Maltron.

MarkWilliamson

06 Nov 2011, 14:59

Ah - I had always thought that I'd use a variant of the Model M replacement controller that one of the guys on Geekhack had designed. But thinking about it maybe a Teensy would do better for my Model M as well as the Maltron. It would indeed be nice to have the Maltron fully configurable; I'd actually quite like to be able to have Dvorak layout on here and that's not possible right now, either via software remapping or the keyboard's firmware.

Jim66

06 Nov 2011, 19:11

MarkWilliamson wrote:Ah - I had always thought that I'd use a variant of the Model M replacement controller that one of the guys on Geekhack had designed. But thinking about it maybe a Teensy would do better for my Model M as well as the Maltron. It would indeed be nice to have the Maltron fully configurable; I'd actually quite like to be able to have Dvorak layout on here and that's not possible right now, either via software remapping or the keyboard's firmware.
Yeah, I'm not sure if the Chameleon Keyboard Controller would be a better option for this project? I'm not sure what is happening with the group buy on here?

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1243

Jim.

Input Nirvana

10 Nov 2011, 08:18

Jim66 wrote:
MarkWilliamson wrote:My Maltron is, I think, a little older and looks much the same. I enjoy it to type on, despite mine having some age-related switch problems that I've not quite got around to fixing.

Hmmm, when I posted this over at GeekHack, one of the guys suggested that it would be a good idea to replace the controller in the Maltron with either a Teensy or a controller from the Kinesis.

I guess it would be very nice to have a fully customisable Maltron.
The reason I think a Kinesis controller would work so well, is that you can re-map and re-program on the fly, no software is needed, Mac/PC compatible, and it's PS/2 and USB. It's pretty bulletproof. I'm not terribly familiar with the Teensy, and I have not been around much so I have not seen what the Chameleon controller is about. The Maltron is screaming to be programmable.

There is a guy that was on GH that I was in touch with, he has done some very exiting stuff with a couple Maltrons....I'll get back in touch with him (he's not an English speaker) and get him involved in checking these threads.

Jim66

10 Nov 2011, 12:52

Was that the guy that put the Kensington trackball in his Kinesis?

Input Nirvana

10 Nov 2011, 13:36

No, but that was a nice and clean job!

I'll find his info and post it here.

Jim66

10 Nov 2011, 21:35

Ok, cool.

The sad thing is that I think I'm going to end up selling these boards within the next week or two. I like them, but I don't think I really have a need for them.

Input Nirvana

10 Nov 2011, 21:51

I understand that for certain. The boards look in great condition and I think they are fairly modern? Are they usb or still ps/2? I didn't check other than noting the keys are labelled for qwerty.

I used a Maltron 10 years ago for a couple days and really liked it. I never got to use a Maltron and Kinesis within a short period of time to compare the feel :( It's still on my list of things to do.

Maybe next summer I can have my life back on track and I can finally get a Maltron to: 1) compare it with Kinesis and 2) if I like it go ahead and replace the controller with a SUPER-CONTROLLER!!!! :)

What is a price range of your units?

Jim66

11 Nov 2011, 14:44

input nirvana wrote:I understand that for certain. The boards look in great condition and I think they are fairly modern? Are they usb or still ps/2? I didn't check other than noting the keys are labelled for qwerty.

I used a Maltron 10 years ago for a couple days and really liked it. I never got to use a Maltron and Kinesis within a short period of time to compare the feel :( It's still on my list of things to do.

Maybe next summer I can have my life back on track and I can finally get a Maltron to: 1) compare it with Kinesis and 2) if I like it go ahead and replace the controller with a SUPER-CONTROLLER!!!! :)

What is a price range of your units?
Yeah, both of them look and feel brand new/perfect (I can't see a mark on them, and they come with all of the documentation and training manuals).

Both keyboards use the '89 layout' and are PS/2. Here is a link which shows the difference between the 89 and 90 series boards (both keyboards are QWERTY but switch to the alternative MALTRON layout too).

http://www.maltron.com/component/conten ... le/31.html

Hmm, I really don't know what to do about the price? Maltron sell the trackball model for: 522 GBP and the regular model for: 450 GBP.

What do you think?

Input Nirvana

11 Nov 2011, 21:20

I'm glad they are really that clean and complete. So much easier to sell used stuff in great shape with no regrets.

The used Maltron market is very, very small, maybe about the same as Datahand? There are quite a few models of Maltrons (about 10 verses about 4 with Datahand). I don't know what they all go for. The single handed units are downright cheap as used units, but that doesn't have much bearing on the 3D dual handed units. Yours are a premium, close to the top of the price tier, you may have a couple month sale period though.

Personally I can't make any moves for several months. 2 companies I contracted with rolled out of business and I've lost well over half of my 2011 earnings which has pushed me into a negative. I'm using savings, liquidating, and a credit line to resolve my liabilities and maintain my credit and payables. No one is looking for me with a knife :). The worst part is I have no income for MONTHS into the future, and that is not yet determined when and how much. I'm hunkering down.

Jim66

11 Nov 2011, 22:14

input nirvana wrote:The single handed units are downright cheap as used units, but that doesn't have much bearing on the 3D dual handed units. Yours are a premium, close to the top of the price tier, you may have a couple month sale period though.
Yeah, this is exactly what I thought. I don't mind,I'm not in any rush to sell them, I would just be nice to sell it (or them) to someone who had been looking for one for a while. As you said, they are quite rare second hand.

Input Nirvana

11 Nov 2011, 22:35

If they are available Feb, I will be back in the game (I have to be by then) and would like a clean unit like yours (which are rare). Beaters don't often work for me unless it's straight parts only.

I'll get our German-Maltron-Modification-Man via email today/tomorrow and do some linking.

A modern Maltron with a Kinesis or similar programmable controller..... :)

Jim66

12 Nov 2011, 00:15

Cool, if they are still around I'll let you know, like I said I'm in no rush.

Oddly enough, there is one on ebay.com at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RRP-900-MALTRON ... 500wt_1413

Input Nirvana

12 Nov 2011, 00:31

It went up for auction a couple days ago. The exact same unit as one of yours I believe. It is rare.

The ultra-expensive ultra-ergo keyboards (Maltron, Datahand, old FingerTouch) have always been and are in limited quantities, and usually purchased by people that really need/want them. Not the casual buyer. It's my belief for those reasons they usually keep the units till they no longer need them (which is rare) or go through private sale, or are ancient and are replaced. I thought it was odd to see the 3-4 new, almost new Datahands that sold on ebay this last month. I think the initial crazy high price of the first one 'shook loose' some units from the tree when people thought (correctly) there was a dramatic upswing in price. Hoggy bought one earlier this year and I think had a gripe or two about the high price he paid at the time. I bet he's not griping now! Looks like he got a DEAL! :) GO HOGGY!

I'm a huge (split) Kinesis Contoured fan, it works better than anything for me. My Datahand is awesome, but it sits in it's original box and is unused...I may be selling it since things have taken a rather nasty turn for me recently. The Maltron (once split and pointing devices integrated) will be the final piece of the ergonomic puzzle for me.

Jim66

12 Nov 2011, 00:54

Yeah, either that or these odd (i.e., matrix, split) keyboards are needed but they are placed in a cupboard because people need to keep up with their current work load and they can't adjust to them quickly enough. I think that is one of the reasons why you see some very clean, almost new ergonomic boards.

The only reason I'm even thinking of selling these boards is because I have recently found my keyboard holy grail. The realforce 86U. I just can't get enough of typing on variable Topre switches; I'm totally sold. I'm even considering selling my Italian G80-5000... Something needs to fund the 87U which I'm almost certainly going to end up buying in the next month.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?1860 ... t=G80-5000

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Nov 2011, 01:08

F*ck the Realforce 87U! This is for Japanese bankers and businesses. It's boooooring! :twisted:

You, sir, need one of these...

Return to “Gallery”