Post your desktop.

kakarlsen

22 Apr 2014, 18:35

You will have to excuse my crappy compact camera, but there are too many conventional working spaces in this thread.

Spoiler:

scottc

22 Apr 2014, 18:39

Hah, Deskthority and Geekhack on each side like this:

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2014, 18:44

I like the switch panel. Switches with consequences deserve protective "oh shit!" covers. That's what I'd put on cAPS lOCK in fact…

mr_a500

22 Apr 2014, 19:23

kakarlsen wrote:You will have to excuse my crappy compact camera, but there are too many conventional working spaces in this thread.
I think this is the only desktop where the annoying term "daily driver" actually makes sense.

If I had a setup like that I'd make sure that every time I sat down, the sound of a race car revving would play.

JBert

22 Apr 2014, 21:24

That's what those switches with a molly-guard are for. You don't want accidentally turn off your engine. ;-)

7bit

22 Apr 2014, 21:28

Nice 1980s steering wheel.
:cool:

BTW: In my mind, DT is right and GH is wrongleft. Don't really know why ...
:o

nourathar

28 Apr 2014, 11:40

kakarlsen wrote:You will have to excuse my crappy compact camera, but there are too many conventional working spaces in this thread.
Waah, brilliant ! You are so very right ! We are being way too conventional (kbdfr's Tipro-extravaganza and Webwits datahands-chair excluded), but I think the problem is perhaps that we all tend to do the same things behind our type organs ?? No real excuse perhaps..

For some time I've been intrigued by the flightsim community, there's this Dutch company that builds uberrealistic fligth sim gear, but it is a bit expensive. And I'm wondering how I could actually use stuff like that for the mundane tasks of every day:

mr_a500

28 Apr 2014, 11:51

nourathar wrote:For some time I've been intrigued by the flightsim community, there's this Dutch company that builds uberrealistic fligth sim gear, but it is a bit expensive. And I'm wondering how I could actually use stuff like that for the mundane tasks of every day:

Whoa. I want that. The ugly black keyboard looks out of place though. I'd put a beam spring there.

Grond

28 Apr 2014, 11:52

Such a carefully built rig, and still they manage to put a crappy keyboard on it! Oh, well, real life drone pilots use Cherry ML keyboards.

mr_peck

02 May 2014, 12:01

Currently i have no desktop at home (new desk in construction) so it's minimalist :

http://imgur.com/a/2LqKI

davkol

02 May 2014, 12:07

What pointing device do you use, if any? When I cover the trackpoint on my X200T, I still have the Wacom digitizer. It comes handy from time to time.

...oh wait, isn't the X201 supposed to have a touchpad?

mr_peck

02 May 2014, 12:26

davkol wrote:What pointing device do you use, if any? When I cover the trackpoint on my X200T, I still have the Wacom digitizer. It comes handy from time to time.

...oh wait, isn't the X201 supposed to have a touchpad?
No touchpad on my X201… If needed i use the trackpoint (but i spend lot's of time in terminal or emacs). That's why i've decided to order a TeX Yoda with trackpoint.

Aleksander

02 May 2014, 14:34

Mr_peck.
What board is that, and do you plan on getting rid of it? :P

davkol

02 May 2014, 15:10

TypeMatrix 2030 USB

I have two (and the old 2020) and plan to sell at least one of them. Those things are great for portable use, but far from cheap. PM me if interested.

kakarlsen

02 May 2014, 16:35

I miss the times when you could order a Thinkpad without a touchpad.

Eszett

03 May 2014, 02:15

I'm selling my TypeMatrix 2030 right now, see my other Deskthority-thread.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 May 2014, 02:38

mr_a500 wrote:Whoa. I want that. The ugly black keyboard looks out of place though. I'd put a beam spring there.
You gonna update your strategic/nuclear launch center to an airborne strategic/nuclear launch center?

mr_a500

03 May 2014, 10:14

SHHHHH! If my enemies find out, it'll start another arms race.

wheybags

04 May 2014, 01:05

sheeeeit dem lights!
Like ricer neons for your desk :P

mr_a500

07 May 2014, 08:05

webwit wrote:You gonna update your strategic/nuclear launch center to an airborne strategic/nuclear launch center?
I already added one of these to my desktop, but it doesn't launch anything.... yet.
Videoscope.jpg

mr_a500

14 May 2014, 00:19

Desktop.JPG

Muirium
µ

14 May 2014, 00:22

Note to self: do not try to excuse the acquisition of terminals as "well, it'd make a nice desk?"

But the reel to reel: I can understand that. Where's your matching Grado headphones?

mr_a500

14 May 2014, 15:59

I keep the Grado headphones attached to my 23-year-old Pioneer compact disc player. (first one I ever bought)

I should have turned on the Heathkit multimeter for the above photo. It has nixie tubes. If you're going to have a "command centre", you must have nixie tubes. (...for...some unknown reason..)

ne0phyte
Toast.

08 Jun 2014, 22:52

Obligatory pic with my 40%. It makes my desk look pretty big :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2014, 02:12

Nice. The display asymmetry is driving me crazy, and I'd like to see someone use a keyboard as far away from the desk edge as that, but 40% is indeed the new 60%. More room for… more keyboards!

ne0phyte
Toast.

09 Jun 2014, 12:19

I actually use keyboards like that. My whole arms (elbows+) rest on the desk most of the time :D
And that asymmetry is great. Having one monitor in portrait is super useful but for movies and games I still need the landscape mode one.

Muirium
µ

09 Jun 2014, 23:21

Ergonomics: whatever works for you. I'm exactly the opposite, I like my keyboard right at the desk's edge, and I do a lot of my work standing… precisely aligned to the midline of my one display! Someday I'll go multi-monitor, but as I'm fussy they must be 4k or greater so it'll be a while yet.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

10 Jun 2014, 00:13

That is the exact opposite of why most people use dual monitor setups. Low res demands more screens. Once the resolution goes up (4K), the need for a dual monitor setup is less critical.

But I am with you on the elbows on desk thing, ne0phyte! Before I got armrests on my chair, I couldn't use my keyboard/mouse comfortable without laying both arms on the desk.

DerpyDash_xAD

10 Jun 2014, 04:36

ne0phyte wrote:I actually use keyboards like that. My whole arms (elbows+) rest on the desk most of the time :D
And that asymmetry is great. Having one monitor in portrait is super useful but for movies and games I still need the landscape mode one.
I had my monitor in portrait, I loved it but I couldn't sustain it because of games and movies :'(

Would do portrait landscape portrait if I was rich enough for 2 more dell ultrasharps ;)

ne0phyte
Toast.

10 Jun 2014, 07:25

Broadmonkey wrote:That is the exact opposite of why most people use dual monitor setups. Low res demands more screens. Once the resolution goes up (4K), the need for a dual monitor setup is less critical.

But I am with you on the elbows on desk thing, ne0phyte! Before I got armrests on my chair, I couldn't use my keyboard/mouse comfortable without laying both arms on the desk.
I prefer two physical screens for a number of reasons
Oh and I have a (way too) expensive chair with arm rests but prefer resting my arms on the desk :D

Return to “Gallery”