Mechanical spring sound from Cherry MX Brown switches

jkir

19 Apr 2014, 10:23

I recently got my first mechanical keyboard, a Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Brown switches.

I am getting a metallic spring echoing sound from two of the keys (when typing as I would normally). If I slowly press the key in question I can clearly hear the metallic sound of the spring inside of the mechanism. The sound is generated before I pass the tactile bump. This only happens with two of the keys (S and U), where one key is a lot more pronounced than the other.

If I remove the keycaps of the particular keys and press the switch, I still get the same sound.

Apart from the sound being a bit annoying, I’m wondering if this might indicate that the switch itself is likely to malfunction in the near future…?

Am I just being sensitive or is this common with Cherry MX switches (or my keyboard model)? Has any one experienced the same thing?

Thanks for any feedback!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

19 Apr 2014, 10:42

This is one of the easiest differences to spot between newly made and vintage switches. Unfortunately this is pretty common on new-stock switches and just varies from batch to batch. The switch is unlikely to malfunction and will likely work just like any other, but it is still an annoying sound if you pay attention to it. This may or may not get better over time (either physically from wear or at least mentally by you getting used to it..)

Unfortunately you can't easily remove the switches on a K70 without soldering, else it would be an easy DIY fix.

jkir

19 Apr 2014, 10:58

I see, thanks sixty. Well at least I know this is not uncommon.

Return to “Keyboards”