Cherry keyboard from scratch pcb and case relate questions

fozbstudios

20 Apr 2014, 06:31

hello all. I'm Nick Nick and I'm new here. I'm making my own keyboard from scratch and I have a couple questions.
1. pins and pcb
I will be using Cherry mx Browns PCB mounted with diodes. What I want to know is, does the PCB have to be raised from the case with standoffs? If it's not will the pins from the keyswitch fit all the way down?

2.spacing
how far apart should each key be on the PCB? What is the minimum distance for this?

3.case
Do you have any general tips for cases? How high should the walls go? How many layers should I have? Any advice on case feet?

4.check
Lastly, would anyone be willing to check/look over my PCB and case design when I'm done?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

RalF

20 Apr 2014, 12:29

fozbstudios wrote: 1. pins and pcb
I will be using Cherry mx Browns PCB mounted with diodes. What I want to know is, does the PCB have to be raised from the case with standoffs? If it's not will the pins from the keyswitch fit all the way down?
You really should raise the PCB with standoffs. Cherry MX Keys are through-hole mount, so they get soldered on the bottom of the PCB. Your PCB will not get a flat rear side. If you are planning in making a metal case you might even get short circuits.
fozbstudios wrote: 2.spacing
how far apart should each key be on the PCB? What is the minimum distance for this?
I suggest starting with the common spacing of 19mm. All standard sized keyboards use that spacing. Since Cherry MX 1u keycaps are 18mm*18mm, a smaller spacing than 19mm will make the keycaps scratch.
fozbstudios wrote:3.case
Do you have any general tips for cases? How high should the walls go? How many layers should I have? Any advice on case feet?
I can not give you much advice, but make sure that your case is big enough not only to fit the PCB but also the microcontroller if you are plannin to use an external one (Teensy, Arduino ...) :D

Muirium
µ

20 Apr 2014, 12:37

Why PCB mount, by the way? Do you want to keep the switches easy for opening, for future mods? Or are you trying to avoid metal layers?

I'm interested because I'm also thinking of a PCB mount build: using slimline Cherry M84 switches that I already have. They have no plate mount points at all.

Anyway, this is the all metal custom 60% I built last year. It's the opposite kind of beast: all plate, no PCB!

Fortunately, quite a few of us are into builds around here. There's even a new group build beginning to get together like last year's. So you've come to the right place!

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/grou ... t7474.html

Return to “Workshop”