Interface Hackathon 2014 Eindhoven

Are you interested in participating in the Interface Hackaton 2014?

Poll ended at 20 May 2014, 11:01

Yes, I want to physically participate, but I only want to talk about keyboards( Regular DT keyboard party )
No votes
Yes, I want to physically participate in an Interface Hackaton : 1 day
31%
Yes, I want to physically participate in an Interface Hackaton : 2 days
23%
Yes, I want to virtually participate in an Interface Hackaton : 1 day
23%
Yes, I want to virtually participate in an Interface Hackaton : 2 days
23%

Total votes: 13

Mrinterface

20 Apr 2014, 11:01

Hi all,

I was wondering if some of you guys & girls would be interested in participation in an Interface Hackathon.

The idea is that we would have a gathering at Eindhoven in The Netherlands at some date and realise interface related projects. It's like a DT keyboard party, but this time you would create something with other enthousiast regarding computer interfaces.

I would be the host and I'm granting access to all my prototyping hardware/software ( like a 3D printer ) and knowledge about ( embedded ) software development.

So, vote in the poll so I can judge interest and start this endeavor. The event can span two days given enough interest.

Some ideas :

Build Workshops ( bring the material and I can help you build it )
1. Build your own Topre Tester
2. Build your own IBM Model M Tester
3. Build your own Protocol Convertor
4. Build your own Matias Dell ( or any other keyboard with different switches )
5. Replacement keyboard for a vintage computer ( Like the excellent MeC64 )

Knowledge Workshops
1. Soldering/desoldering
2. PCB design
3. 3D cad design

Innovation Workshops
1. Joystick Mouse( a mouse with integrated joystick )
2. TypoVoice ( voice every word after typing space )
3. DT-keysounds ( natively simulate keyboard click sound )
4. Mouse-ears or Mouse-wings ( find a way to attach the mouse to your hand )
5. Adapters for cherry mx and alps mounts

Probably some of you would have ideas as well, so we could assemble a list of the best ideas and work collectively on the top 3.

Regards.

7bit

20 Apr 2014, 11:42

This is a great idea!
:ugeek:

I would like to bring my 122 key Model M and turn it into a 127 Model M.
:o

damorgue

20 Apr 2014, 15:07

Would like to attend: Check
Possibility to attend: Nope

Will be neat following this though

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2014, 15:39

it's a neat idea. What do you think of mixing this with my "group build" idea?

Basically we all gather together and each participant build his own keyboard with the help of the "experts". From soldering to firmware. We pre laser cut everything and buy all the materials. A sort of workshop+hackaton. We could also have a winner for the best build :)

scottc

20 Apr 2014, 15:43

matt3o wrote:it's a neat idea. What do you think of mixing this with my "group build" idea?

Basically we all gather together and each participant build his own keyboard with the help of the "experts". From soldering to firmware. We pre laser cut everything and buy all the materials. A sort of workshop+hackaton. We could also have a winner for the best build :)
That's a really great idea. Instead of paying for lots of shipping across Europe, we can just pay the person with the cheapest laser cutters to bring a big suitcase of metal with them. :twisted:

Since everyone will have (mostly) the same layouts, the prize for best build could be a set of keycaps for that layout!

Unfortunately, though:
damorgue wrote:Would like to attend: Check

Same here. :(

Mrinterface

20 Apr 2014, 17:29

I added the option to virtually participate. ( and reset the poll in the process... :-( )

I'd like to propose an "InnovateMate" , a person willing and able to virtually attend the hackaton and help out the physical participants in their endeavors with advice and pointers.

Furthermore : I will be looking into live streaming the event. :-)

Mrinterface

20 Apr 2014, 17:38

matt3o wrote:it's a neat idea. What do you think of mixing this with my "group build" idea?

Superb....

Let's make it happen. Like I stated : I'll arrange the location and any needed hardware and software demands. If we have this event later in the year ( around September ) I could even have a laser-cutter and a CNC machine present.

It would be a great event to learn about making stuff.....

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Apr 2014, 17:47

it's really a great idea and I'd volunteer as tutor for cad/soldering/whatever but I see it very hard to find enough people available in the same period. Something like that would require at least a couple days full immersion.

Maybe a more viable solution would be online tutoring. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Mrinterface

20 Apr 2014, 18:20

matt3o wrote:Maybe a more viable solution would be online tutoring. I don't know, just thinking out loud.
Online tutoring...... Hmmm....

I think we should be able to create a series of HTBAB ( How To Be A Builder ) tutorials for :
1. Embedded hardware&software
2. Printed Circuit Board (PCB ) design
3. 3D CAD modelling for 3D printers.

If we have those in advance of the hackaton, people can start building right away :-)

7bit

20 Apr 2014, 22:20

September sounds good, maybe I can bring some Hyper keyboard prototypes.
:o

Ascaii
The Beard

20 Apr 2014, 22:38

Would totally love to do this. Logistics would need to be figured out, but might be possible.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Apr 2014, 22:42

I'll bring my Space Cadet and my slaves disciples volunteers can convert it to USB!

7bit

20 Apr 2014, 23:05

Noooooo!!!!!
:o -------- :shock: -------- :cry:

Medowy

22 Apr 2014, 10:41

damorgue wrote:Would like to attend: Check

Same here :(

Virtually it is!!

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Apr 2014, 18:18

7bit wrote:Noooooo!!!!!
:o -------- :shock: -------- :cry:
Alternatively, you can build me a LISP machine.

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2014, 18:48

Shure, we cwold all youse some shweet lwisp masheens.

They did get a Mosaic port at some point, right? Or are you really into aquatic AI?

7bit

22 Apr 2014, 22:02

LISP-machine is easy:

- find 10 years old PC
- find some Round 4 sphericals
- find some 122 key Tipro plus 2 numpads
- install Debian
- run Emacs
done.
:evilgeek:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

27 Apr 2014, 10:49

sounds cool!

Mrinterface

27 Apr 2014, 11:42

Alright....

I'm looking into generating video tutorials using 123Design and 123DCircuit with enough depth to make it possible for people to start rolling their own project during the Interface Hackathon.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2014, 12:13

humpff...

Mrinterface

27 Apr 2014, 12:27

matt3o wrote:humpff...

Linux user? :-)

I just love the simulation tools on 123DCircuits. Very easy to get into electronics without actually buying the stuff.

We might want to create a virtual image with all the right stuff already pre-installed and run it under VirtualBox?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Apr 2014, 12:37

considering what they've been able to do at clara.io out of pure HTML5, I don't understand why Autodesk needs a native client/plugin.

Anyway it seems a very fine and easy software, worth exploring it.

JBert

27 Apr 2014, 18:51

Heh, if it needs a client than it must be the worst kind of SaaSS yet. Why can't you just install the whole thing and work offline?

Return to “Reviews”