nice collection they have going on.

Madhias
BS TORPE

19 Apr 2014, 21:14

I didn't know this. Thanks for the link. But when i see this

i can't wait for Round 5!

mr_a500

19 Apr 2014, 23:05

Nice link. Thanks for posting. There's lots of neat stuff over there, such as this detached Atari 800 keyboard:

There are even a few early 80's keyboards with touchpads!

I knew the touchpad was around in the early 80's, but never knew it was integrated into keyboards back then.

Edit: Once again, Xerox was ahead of the times. The Xerox 860 of 1980 had an integrated touchpad too:
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/xerox860/

elmin

20 Apr 2014, 07:36

Wow, I'm in love with the bank of keys between the alphas and the circular (!!) trackpad. Now I'm thinking about what it would be like to have an auxiliary keyboard with function keys tailored to Emacs (mark, yank, transpose, advance char/word/line/paragraph, etc.).

Muirium
µ

20 Apr 2014, 12:19

I've seen a couple of those Xerox boards (in slightly different variants) and they are absolute beasts! Way bigger than beam springs. Solid metal, pyramid cross section, and wide as all hell. They're the biggest two keyboards in the museum over here, and alas not in nearly as nice shape as that one above.

Xerox called that circular pad The Cat, by the way. Capacitative something or another… but really just a pun!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Apr 2014, 15:00

There's lots of neat stuff over there
those pages just go to show what incredible hardware was built in the past and some of it is still out there somewhere...

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Apr 2014, 15:11

It's funny … a schoolfriend had a Toshiba colour 386 laptop, and the trackball was a clamp-on attachment that you had to carry separately. It wasn't even integrated like it was with Apple products. Despite the evident bulk that an integrated trackball created, and the hassle of an external one, laptops didn't get integrated capacitive touchpads for a very long time. Psion introduced a notebook touchpad with the Mobile Computer series (MC 200/400 but not MC 600) in 1989, but I'm not sure how that worked. I know that you physically clicked the pad, but I forget whether that was to register a mouse move or mouse click; I do remember that it used absolute co-ordinates.

As far as I understand it, capacitive touchpads are inherently multitouch, and you need circuitry to combine all the sensory readings to figure out where your finger actually is (as illustrated by the Synaptics Mood Pad) so it may have taken a long time to miniaturise all the circuitry required to figure all that out. Just guessing.

These days I just get annoyed at the gloss trackpads that don't get on with my skin chemistry — my fingers tends to stick and skip across a gloss surface. Matte is better, and teflon is better still, but I guess for cheapness, companies figure that a gloss surface is easier than teflon coating.

Spearman

21 Apr 2014, 15:55

I like this colour scheme

Spearman

21 Apr 2014, 15:56

mr_a500

21 Apr 2014, 17:58

Anybody have one of these?

This could very easily be misinterpreted:

seebart

22 Apr 2014, 20:58

Anybody have one of these?
that´s quite a layout :o

Space Shuttle?
I don´t get it :?

hoggy

22 Apr 2014, 21:45

mr_a500 wrote:Anybody have one of these?
I've got two right handers,not quite sure how that happened...

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2014, 22:39

seebart wrote:
I don´t get it :?
We English speakers are a simple people. If it's a joke: it's a dick joke!

Now I just need one of those badges for my, uh, Honeywell!

mr_a500

22 Apr 2014, 23:34

It's not a dick joke! I had breasts on my mind when I said that. Breasts, man - breasts!

(mmm... I seem to have breasts on my mind quite often...)

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Apr 2014, 00:01

Sadly I am the last person on the planet to suggest that you should get out more often ;-)

seebart

23 Apr 2014, 19:28

Jeeez you brits....:D

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Apr 2014, 01:03

He's Canadian, your honour …

Return to “Keyboards”