First custom build keyboard

mlng

29 Jun 2014, 15:51

G'day :)

I've been an unregistered lurker here for a while now and have been drooling over the custom builds since people here started publishing them. Well I finally decided to stop drooling and pulled the trigger on my own build.

Nothing fantastic here in terms of design and is basically a direct rip of one of matt3o's many 65% boards with a few little twist. Aluminium and stainless steel sheets where cut locally. The cuts actually turned out a bit more "rustic" than I had anticipated so there was a fair bit of sanding and filing all over.

Rest of the build was relatively straightforward and I had it mostly done over 2 days. The biggest drama of the entire build was when a drop of epoxy glue got into the micro-usb port (don't ask :lol:)

More pictures/build log here:

http://imgur.com/a/tRnFY

Thanks again to everyone who bothered to write and document stuff on the forum, I learned lots.

Special thanks to:
matt3o for the all the inspirational build write ups and pictures (your builds are awesome)
soarer for the amazing keyboard firmware (I can't believe how easy it was to get it going)

Grond

29 Jun 2014, 15:56

Well done! :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jun 2014, 16:02

hey! I know that layout! :D

congrats very nice build.

Muirium
µ

29 Jun 2014, 16:10

Nice feet. Where did you get the back ones?

And yes, Soarer's Controller is perfect for these builds.

mlng

29 Jun 2014, 17:01

thanks guys :D the feet were from kbdmod.co.kr (came as an entire set).

scottc

29 Jun 2014, 17:15

Looks fantastic, great job! :D

tlt

29 Jun 2014, 17:36

Looks great! That kind project is good as it doesn't take forever to finish.

Hypersphere

29 Jun 2014, 18:00

Always a pleasure to see good handiwork!

Return to “Workshop”