Flat Key Caps progress thread

P3TC0CK

14 Jul 2014, 16:17

Hi Deskthority. I'm making what seems to be a pretty niche product for mechanical keyboard users which is completely flat and uniform mechanical key caps. I've gotten pretty limited response to my idea on /r/Mechanicalkeyboards and Geekhack but I remain committed to updating both those communities on my progress with the set in case anyone is interested.

Feel free to give me any suggestions/ tips if you'd like to. You can find my geekhack thread here and I will try to keep both threads updated at around the same time.

Here are some photos of some of the keys:

I am currently trying to get prototypes made, while also discussing manufacturing with a couple producers in China. Nothing is set in stone yet, so if you'd like to voice your opinion on this set before it gets made please let me know.

I originally considered making this set with letters cut out, but I don't have the money to pay for the modeling the person who I used is asking for 95 USD, and I think the demand for blank keys will be higher.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ:
  • Doesn't Signature Plastics already make this with their G20 key caps and flat keys?

Kind of. They do make 1 x 1 keys in the g20 and Flat key style, but they don't make any other key nor do they plan to do so at any set date. I don't want to wait for them to produce them, so I went ahead and did it myself.

If you can find keys like the ones I plan to make, please let me know.
  • I like the idea, but it doesn't have (insert non US QWERTY/ ansi key here). Can you add that?

Sure, I'd love to. If you can get my the specifications for your key I can get it designed and added to the final set.
  • What advantage does a fully flat keyboard provide? Is this style of keyboard any better than a standard 'sculpted' keyboard?

I'm not going to make any claims about this key cap set about benefits or advantages over conventional keyboards.

Friends have mentioned to me that it may be good for games that require multiple, simultaneous button presses and be good for those who want easy travel across their keyboard. It may also be much more easy to keep clean as the space for dirt and other particles to get in between the keys is much smaller. The surface is uniform so it should not be difficult to wipe clean.

That's all speculation. For me, a flat keyboard is simply something I prefer when typing or using a computer for both aesthetics and comfort.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to:

Martin Anel for modeling the keys.
/u/Belgan_waffles on reddit for pointing me the appropriate informartion.
/u/Landrei for providing me information on the keyboard I will be putting these on before I had it.

P3TC0CK

16 Jul 2014, 14:52

Updated the FAQ and made the models for the keyboard available to everyone to view/ play around with.

If you'd all like to download the keys here are the files. There should be 8 keys, let me know if any of the keys from the shapeways image I posted were not included. They should fit any standard ansi us qwerty 104 key layout.

I'll be making the shapeways order later tonight unless someone wants to do the printing/ testing themselves or knows a cheaper alternative. It will be about 41 dollars shipped to me.

I can make them available on Shapeways if anyone is interested as well.

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Jul 2014, 23:22

It would be interesting to have a keyboard with flat, rectangular keys but with standard row profiles (angles).

QWERTim

17 Jul 2014, 14:57

We make "T (AKA Top-hat) Series" profile key caps that are flat:

They do have a small lip around them though as they are primarily used as anti-vandalism key caps.

P3TC0CK

17 Jul 2014, 18:19

QWERTim wrote: We make "T (AKA Top-hat) Series" profile key caps that are flat:

They do have a small lip around them though as they are primarily used as anti-vandalism key caps.
Aware of them, but from the looks of them the top is just flat, they don't seem low profile and have a the same sculpted (cone? cylindrical?) sides as normal keys. Cherry produces their own flat caps but for their POS system that have replaceable labels.

Closest thing on the market right now is Signature Plastics flat keys, although those don't come in any other shape but the 1 x 1 key.

Also would the lip make removing the caps harder as well? I don't think most people have issues with vandalism when it comes to their keyboards ( at least most people not using the keys in businesses) so it would make the harder to remove.

P3TC0CK

19 Jul 2014, 14:31

I've posted the keycaps on shapeways if you'd like an individual cap in the sizing in my store here.

Return to “Workshop”