thumbstomper1 - A weird creation

cowfoot1

11 Mar 2014, 11:55

Hello deskthority :D

I have been lurking around on this wonderful forum for quiet sometime, and I have finally decided to contribute.
Im going to contribute with some words about and pictures of my wierd little creation.
image[2].jpeg
image[2].jpeg (727.06 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
It's a "40%" keyboard heavly inspired by JDCarpe's creation over at geek hack and technomancy's Atreus, 40% column-staggered.

It's MX Black switches with DSA Blank caps. The case is lasercut 2mm XT acrylic. And it's controlled by a Teensy 2.0 with Hasu's keyboard firmware.

I finished it yesterday, and have only typed on it a bit, but so far so gooooood, I like the ultra compact feeling. The only downside is Im not a big fan of MX Blacks..

If you have any question, flame, critic or any thing else, just post or PM me.

Now in just gonna spam the rest of the post with pictures:
image[3].jpeg
image[3].jpeg (794.72 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
image[6].jpeg
image[6].jpeg (822.43 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
image[9].jpeg
image[9].jpeg (665.38 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
and compared to my 15" Lenovo laptop:
image[1].jpeg
image[1].jpeg (799.47 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Big up to matt3o for his awesome guides, Brownfox step by step and especially How to build your very own firmware.They made me able to do this little project.

Muirium
µ

11 Mar 2014, 12:03

Welcome to the madhouse.

Your "Teensy Inside" look is quite novel. I'd mount the socket straight, because I'm like that (and often tug wires). How are you finding the feel? MX blacks could well be a bit heavy, especially in an acrylic plate.

I'd call your layout more like a mini ErgoDox. Thought of splitting the design in two pieces for greater separation?

suka
frobiac

11 Mar 2014, 12:23

Congratulations, a very clean looking board, especially from the underside. Is the teensy floating by the wires only? And what's your next project :-) ?

cowfoot1

11 Mar 2014, 12:29

One should make a "Teensy Inside" sticker :)

I would like to have mounted the teensy better, and straight. But right now it only keept in place by the wires..
The MX blacks is a bit too heavy for me, might be in the combination with acrylic plate. Im also coming from MX browns, and love them.

I thought about doing a split design, but decided that if would be a bit to much for a first project. But I might do it in a further project.

But my next project is probaly going to be a steel or aluminium plate for the same keyboard and maybe some MX reds.

RalF

11 Mar 2014, 14:24

cowfoot1 wrote:One should make a "Teensy Inside" sticker :)
Here you go :-P

Mabe you could glue it to the middle of the keyboard to cover up your funny teensy alignment :D
However, nice work!

cowfoot1

11 Mar 2014, 14:40

RalF wrote:
cowfoot1 wrote:One should make a "Teensy Inside" sticker :)
Here you go :-P

Mabe you could glue it to the middle of the keyboard to cover up your funny teensy alignment :D
However, nice work!
Thanks RalF! :P I'll figure out where to put it. But it will probaly go in the middel, as you suggest :)

Leimi

03 Jul 2014, 14:19

Hey,

Nice work :)
Kinda coming late to the party but I have a few questions, since I'm currently thinking about making a keyboard of my own :D

I like the simplicity of the case. Could you tell us how tall is it exactly, how much room there is for the teensy and cables inside? Doesn't it flex because of the lack of layers between the top and bottom plates?

I was also wondering if placing the switchs on the plate was any trouble? I usually see 1.5mm plates to mount switchs and not 2mm.

Cheers,
Leimi

HotKillerZzz

22 Jul 2014, 15:17

May i know whats the keylayout that you are using?

Return to “Workshop”