What are you listening to at the moment?

Daniel Beardsmore

26 May 2014, 15:55

One of the best TV show introductions ever:

BimboBB

26 May 2014, 17:56

that dude "ten walls" <3

ne0phyte
Toast.

26 May 2014, 18:20

@BimboBB: I knew I've heard that song before... Took me a few minutes but here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/audiomashup/deep-in-house-0414 :mrgreen:

BimboBB

26 May 2014, 19:00

its now the third track in row from this guy which simply blow my mind. :)

and

photekq
Cherry Picker

23 Jun 2014, 00:41

Grendel

23 Jun 2014, 04:06

Feeling nostalgic.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Jun 2014, 23:54

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

24 Jun 2014, 10:11

Space goofs (such a crazy cartoon, loved it ) theme - Iggy Pop

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

24 Jun 2014, 10:18

alpinist, from germany. buttkickin'.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Jul 2014, 02:05

(Pretty sure that's meant to be Skylab)

From the other day:
(Overlay one on top of the other and you'll hear the insides of my head.)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Jul 2014, 08:55

playing both at the same time is interesting! kind of stressful. it's a little ironic that the sounds in your head sound like synthesized replicas of real sounds.

davkol

22 Jul 2014, 23:42

Eszett

23 Jul 2014, 00:36

Try to guess the genres mixed up in this.

scottc

23 Jul 2014, 00:39

I'd like to say chiptunes, but I think that there's too much of a range to really call it that. Maybe half chiptune, and half 16-bit era SNES-ish.

SL89

23 Jul 2014, 01:03

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Jul 2014, 21:17

mr_a500

25 Jul 2014, 21:24

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2014, 21:28

On loop, for hours on end, until I'm done.
Writing music.

scottc

25 Jul 2014, 21:31

Is that name a coincidence?

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2014, 21:32

Intentional. The guy's from Strasbourg, and made two albums so far, both of which are just my kind of thing when I need to concentrate. Some people like writing to Kraftwerk, I like this.

(DS9 fans unite!)

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2014, 21:57

Another few hours of this and I'll be warmed up.

Of course, there are other ways:

mr_a500

25 Jul 2014, 22:44

That explains why I never became a writer... not enough cocaine.

Muirium
µ

25 Jul 2014, 22:56

You know when you've had enough when you need grass to take the edge off.

Honestly, I've never been into drugs. Too much naked alcoholism in Scotland (actual nudity optional, and generally harmful up here) and too many hours wasted talking to people in a haze. The only ones I take are anti-allergy stuff, which are coincidentally the only drugs I've ever noticed make people sharper rather than blunt.

But I do love Hunter, of course. Bloody eijit.

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Jul 2014, 23:14

That Kira Nerys song is spectacular μ. I'll have to listen to some more stuff by him.

Been listening to a load of stuff from Gantz. I think these two are my favourites..

davkol

25 Jul 2014, 23:42

I wish I was into these genres. They sound pretty awesome with my HD 250 Linear II BASS.

Muirium
µ

26 Jul 2014, 03:48

Here's the rule with music: if it sounds good, it is good. Keep listening, you might find you're going places.

Nice picks, Photekq. I'll check out his stuff. You've got a sense of some of what I like. Complex rhythm, Eastern sounds, and lots of moving pieces.

Speaking of which, here's a record I've got in heavy rotation at the moment: Top notch Afrobeat, from New Zealand of all places!

Can't find it on YouTube, but give the opening instrumental track a listen. It's a banger!

Incidentally, the cover art is a fair likeness of their lead singer Jennifer Zea, who you can see in action from a live performance here:
Instrumentals get more repeat play from me, but she's great too.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

26 Jul 2014, 09:01

friend's band. http://toska-phl.bandcamp.com/releases

holy crap! :maverick:

also this:

davkol

26 Jul 2014, 10:35

Muirium wrote: Here's the rule with music: if it sounds good, it is good. Keep listening, you might find you're going places.
Not at all.

For example, the audiophiliac release of Blade Runner OST. It's pure eargasm. I hate the composition though, and have generally hard time considering it music at all, not to mention good music.

Or Yngwie Malmsteen and his neoclassical stuff. It's just a show-off of his skills. I was listening to some blues on Jamendo the other day, and there was something similar. Perfect technique, masterfully crafted, but nope. I'd take 32kb/s WMA bootleg rips of certain punk bands instead any day.

I've listened to Power Within by DragonForce recently. It did sound good, no doubt about it. However, most tracks were just recycled from older albums and the lyrics! So fucking dumb!

Heretic! Burn him at the stake!

Muirium
µ

26 Jul 2014, 11:29

You are quite right. I'd rather listen to The Stooges than Vangelis.
Hell, I was deep into Velvet Underground bootlegs when mp3 and the Internet converged: unpublished, unpublishable tapes, recorded by drugged out fans in their pockets from the middle of the audience in a rowdy, drugged up crowd. Takes imagination to enjoy those, and a good bit of EQ to take the edge off the penetrating hiss. But damn were they great performances by a band creating a future sound, live before them.

I meant "if you like it, then it's good, no matter the genre". For people into stuff way outside the mainstream, whatever the direction, we all wandered into it, looking for something we weren't getting from chart music. The 1990s was pretty barren, for my taste, and I got into rummaging the crates, hunting for things I liked, no matter the origin. Life's too short to be a genre snob. The Internet accelerated that a bit, let's say. Thank bloody goodness!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

26 Jul 2014, 13:10

davkol wrote:
Muirium wrote: Here's the rule with music: if it sounds good, it is good. Keep listening, you might find you're going places.
Not at all.

For example, the audiophiliac release of Blade Runner OST. It's pure eargasm. I hate the composition though, and have generally hard time considering it music at all, not to mention good music.

Or Yngwie Malmsteen and his neoclassical stuff. It's just a show-off of his skills. I was listening to some blues on Jamendo the other day, and there was something similar. Perfect technique, masterfully crafted, but nope. I'd take 32kb/s WMA bootleg rips of certain punk bands instead any day.

I've listened to Power Within by DragonForce recently. It did sound good, no doubt about it. However, most tracks were just recycled from older albums and the lyrics! So fucking dumb!

Heretic! Burn him at the stake!
i think one problem with this here is (and i think we may have butted heads back on geekhack in a similar conversation) good is, for any exacting, scientific sort of definition, indefinable, or at least incompletely definable. so the phrase "if you like it, it's good" doesn't really mean it's good if you like it, but good is WHAT you like. the cop-out definition of good, anyways.

took me years of going to shows to finally be able to listen to a lot of "shitty" sounding basement recordings of punk-ish bands -- like you said, mirium, it takes imagination, but also the experiential knowledge can really boost your perception of what's going on in a lot of punk/hardcore/crust/grind recordings.

anyways to add something to this thread other than conversation... some blistering hardcore from brazil!

Return to “Off-topic”